3DCoat Forums

[Bug] selecting things in the sculpt tree vs viewport

• Advanced Member

Here are a couple videos showing some strange bugs in the sculptree that have been here a while. 

in the the first video I am trying to clone the pink ball.  I have it selected in the scupltree. However if my cursor is over the green ball and I hit my shortcut key it clones the green ball instead. 

in the second video I have the red ball as a parent to the pink ball.  I want to merge the sub tree into one voxel layer.  I have the red layer selected, and I press the hotkey to merge sub-tree.  However, if my cursor in the viewport is over the green ball all that will happen is the green layer and red layer become selected. 

This can be worked around by making sure my cursor is never touching anything, but it really shouldn't be an issue.  Please have a look at this.  thanks!

Edited by nobackup

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, nobackup said:

Here are a couple videos showing some strange bugs in the sculptree that have been here a while. 

in the the first video I am trying to clone the pink ball.  I have it selected in the scupltree. However if my cursor is over the green ball and I hit my shortcut key it clones the green ball instead. 

in the second video I have the red ball as a parent to the pink ball.  I want to merge the sub tree into one voxel layer.  I have the red layer selected, and I press the hotkey to merge sub-tree.  However, if my cursor in the viewport is over the green ball all that will happen is the green layer and red layer become selected. 

This can be worked around by making sure my cursor is never touching anything, but it really shouldn't be an issue.  Please have a look at this.  thanks!

i cant replicate this...
try cloning using RMB

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] selecting things in the sculpt tree vs viewport
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] selecting things in the sculpt tree vs viewport
  • Advanced Member

this also happens when parenting objects.  In this example  I'm trying to parent the red ball to the blue ball.  If I have my cursor over the blue ball when I hit the change parent hotkey it will not work (because I guess it is selecting whatever is under the cursor and it won't parent to itself).  pick by click is off and auto pick is off. 

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] selecting things in the sculpt tree vs viewport
  • Contributor

When funny things like this happen to me, and others don't see it, I sometimes rename my /documents/3dcoat directory to 3dcoat_bak and then relaunch 3dcoat and let it build a completely new folder and settings. This has helped me sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.  If you haven't tried this, it might be the quickest way to narrow it down to a bad setting somewhere in your current working folder.  Hope that helps!

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, alexn007 said:

When funny things like this happen to me, and others don't see it, I sometimes rename my /documents/3dcoat directory to 3dcoat_bak and then relaunch 3dcoat and let it build a completely new folder and settings. This has helped me sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.  If you haven't tried this, it might be the quickest way to narrow it down to a bad setting somewhere in your current working folder.  Hope that helps!

thanks, good suggestion.  I'll give it a shot. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, alexn007 said:

hm...i renamed the 3Dcoat folder and started fresh....and the same behaviour.  it still picks what's under the cursor instead of what's selected in the vox tree:

Andrew, any insight you can provide?

(edit:  turning auto pick  off and pick by click off do not solve the issue)

Edited by nobackup

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry but i dont understand your request

Select from the viewport (using the cursor) is how it work

image.png

I understand you can use the menu to change parent.  The issue is 3d coat is selecting the object underneath the cursor, not the currently selected object in the sculpt tree.  This becomes a real annoyance when trying to clone objects, or parent them, or any action which requires selecting objects.  You always have to be careful that your cursor is not on an unintended object or that object will be used instead. 

I've attached another video to try to clarify.  In this example I am trying to clone the black cube.  I have the black cube selected in the vox tree.  the cursor is over the black cube in the viewport.  I hit the hotkey and it clones fine.   Then I try it again, but this time the cursor is is over the green cube in the viewport.  Instead of cloning the black cube (which I have selected), it clones the green cube instead.  It is acting on whatever is under the cursor in the viewport. 

in the second video I am using the menu to clone the black cube.  Again, it is selected in the voxtree, but because my cursor is over the green cube the green cube gets cloned instead. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

The issue is 3d coat is selecting the object underneath the cursor, not the currently selected object in the sculpt tree

It is not an issue, is how it works. 

Wow really?  I could have sworn it was not like this in 3dcoat v4.  If it's a feature and not a bug, It would be nice to have a way to toggle this behaviour off.