3DCoat Forums

A Bowl

kay_Eva

• Advanced Member

Hello I'm working on a low poly bowl model. However I'm finding it tricky to manually retopo this bowl because it has hard edges unlike organic models.

Anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Here I'll show you a crease where I'm finding it difficult to get the edge and vertices to stick to the crease around the bottom of the bowl. The same thing could be said about the rim and inside of the bowl as well. Thank you.

post-1190-1244603303_thumb.png

• Advanced Member
Hello I'm working on a low poly bowl model. However I'm finding it tricky to manually retopo this bowl because it has hard edges unlike organic models.

Anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Here I'll show you a crease where I'm finding it difficult to get the edge and vertices to stick to the crease around the bottom of the bowl. The same thing could be said about the rim and inside of the bowl as well. Thank you.

post-1190-1244603303_thumb.png

it might help to have 2 edge loops down there just so it have more points to use to stick to the object but yeah generally hard surface stuff isnt easy to retopo

• Advanced Member
it might help to have 2 edge loops down there just so it have more points to use to stick to the object but yeah generally hard surface stuff isnt easy to retopo

Hey you're right thanks I just use two edges to get the one I want into the proper place and then I delete the extra one once that's done. It's not too difficult. But I'm hoping there is a special hard edges only quadrangulation/retopo mode/tool that would be sweet especially for inorganic game assets :brush:

• Advanced Member

Ok... the saga continues. I think I found something that works really well for inorganics for anyone who may have been wondering like I have been. I just started using the "points and faces" method. And it works super good in my opinion because it reminds me of good ole polytopoly modeling.

Thanks, maybe I'll post the bowl when it's pretty much complete.

Additionally I also recommend using a mouse and not a tablet. =)

• Advanced Member
Ok... the saga continues. I think I found something that works really well for inorganics for anyone who may have been wondering like I have been. I just started using the "points and faces" method. And it works super good in my opinion because it reminds me of good ole polytopoly modeling.

Thanks, maybe I'll post the bowl when it's pretty much complete.

Additionally I also recommend using a mouse and not a tablet. =)

Hey Kay, was that a joke about the mouse/tablet? Just curious as I've been the proud newbie owner of a tablet for just 3 days now & can't understand the mouse being better :)

• Advanced Member

I wasn't joking I think that mouse is better for retopo because of its precision at setting points but it's just my experience and opinion

well anyway, I've gotten a good handle on making the retopo mesh however the normal bake isn't as good as the bake I get when I do a retopo of the same object in blender I'll have to do some more research

• Advanced Member

Sorry for spammage but I'm trying to nail this down. Here is an example of what I mean by the 3dCoat bake not being as good as the blender one. What settings do you think I'm doing wrong. My bake settings are the default ones in 3dCoat and I try all the different smoothing setting but it's basically the same I think.

post-1190-1244703275_thumb.png

Also how about specular. It doesn't seem to be coming through correctly. Any tips helpful. I'll continue to look into it bye.

• Advanced Member

Oh what a difference reading the manual makes :rolleyes:

Found out how to address all of my issues thanks to that .pdf file :drinks:

Here we go... twins! One is a blender viewport the other 3dCoat. They look basically identical now whooo.

post-1190-1244755932_thumb.png

Retopo'ing the bowl is really easy btw, and more effecient than doing it in blender despite the fact that I am more familiar with blender. Once you read the manual on how to use the tools the way they were intended...retopo is even nicer.

:brush: Thread complete.

(still, the blender bake seems superior however once you paint over the first layer you can barely see the seems anymore - if you want to know what I mean see my post directly above this one)