3DCoat Forums

[Solved] How to clear Parent in Maya

DustyShinigami

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

• Advanced Member

Hi

This is an issue that's related to a couple of threads I've made in the past and I'm curious if anyone who uses Maya has managed to solve it. Every time I export a mesh out of Maya, even after freezing the transformations, I'll bring it into 3DCoat and it'll always be the wrong way up. Like so:

3DCoatGL64_UJT4IOygWf.thumb.png.29645ca0c9d68d1274544df935cfeee1.png

I discovered, through the help of a mod here, that it's because it's inheriting the transformations of a parent. What I don't understand though, is that, even after unparenting/ungrouping meshes in Maya, and then applying Freeze Transformations, it still continues to do this. I've checked the Attribute Editor and the Channel box, and nothing looks out of the ordinary for each mesh. It seems the only way of fixing it, is to take it into Blender, select everything, and then Unparent. That magically fixes it. However, it really shouldn't be necessary to take my meshes into Blender to fix it though. Has anyone who uses Maya come across this? Or does anyone know what you need to do in order to fix it directly there?

Thanks

• Advanced Member

Ah-haa. That's fixed it. Thank you! Although, it seems a bit strange that if Maya has Y for up and 3DCoat does too (by default), that it would come in face-down like that. :blink:

Ahh, wait... Just noticed in the export options of Maya, that the Up Axis was set to Z. D'oh. That would explain a lot lol.

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] How to clear Parent in Maya