3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 3dCoat Bump/Normal Map issues

Go to solution Solved by swifty,

Having issues where some bump maps not being respected in smart materials. Albedo maps fine but the normals map is flat. Some materials are OK, others not. Wondered if there was an issue with the file so took it into Blender where the texture maps all worked fine - Don't understand why some bump maps are OK and others not. 

Got a project need to finish ASAP & would prefer to texture in 3DC rather than Blender so any help/hints hugely appreciated - thanks in advance

The bump looks correct & I am using the latest version. This is just one of a whole host of smart materials normal/bump maps that I've created which are not working but others are and I've had the images in Affinity Designer to see if I could work out what the differences are and I can't see it. The textures work fine in both Blender & Substance Painter but not 3DC

The texture that you shared is the one that does not work in your installation but works in mine ?
Have you tried the smart material that I shared? does it work yes or no?
Try exporting as another file format type as .png or .tif

You right, it is not working.

I solved it saving the same bump map NOT as greyscale but RGB mode

image.png

And creating a NEW SMaterial (import the same bump map in the previous SMAterial dont work)

//edit

yes, i am creating a new SMaterial on Brick folder, no problem found

• Solution

Hi,

Thank you so much, I would have never thought of that!!!!!. Converted several Bump texture materials that I was having issues with from greyscale to RGB - all working a treat. I wished I'd tried posting here sooner...I was so totally p**d off that I bought substance painter on steam - OMG! the totally janky way to add stickers/logo's to say e.g. graffiti to a brick wall whereas in 3DC it couldn't be simpler - assuming your brick bump maps are in RGB, that is ;-)

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] 3dCoat Bump/Normal Map issues