3DCoat Forums

[Solved] How Do I Create UDIM's in 3DC?

swifty

Hi,

Recently moved over to Blender from Maya and having issues with UDIM's. Using the Blender Applink, if I create the UV's with UDIM's in Blender then ship to 3DC & texture everything is fine but and it's a big but, I much prefer to UV map in 3DC but how do I create (is it possible?) to create UDIM's in 3DC? In Blender it's not possible to convert multiple UV maps to UDIM's. Also, if I move the UV's over  to what I think might be 1002, then when I go back to Blender that part of the texture is missing.

The obvious answer might be to create UV's in Blender but here's me doing just that it!!

horrified.jpeg

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I was asking about creating UDIM's directly in 3DC - I saw this one, he creates the UDIM's in Maya & then returns to 3DC so I'm assuming the answer to my Q is No - in which case, I'll put this up as a feature request.

Thanks again

Ah ok, sorry

3DC will look at UV tiles as UDIMs, and will allow you to import and export them. The function is currently called "Import UV Tiles as UV Sets". It was called "Import UV Tiles as UDIM", but someone (other than me) changed it back to it's old name.

That said, when you import your file, tick the box "Import UV TIles as UV Sets", and it will import all of your tiles and rename them according to their UDIMs. Then also when you're done and exporting, tick the box "Export UV Sets as UV Tiles", this will keep the UDIM imported tiles and the names assigned to them upon import.

Technically UV Sets are different than UV Tiles or UDIM, and 3D-Coat does not actually support real UV tiling or real UDIM. Using UV Sets is a sort of elegant workaround.

ImportUdim.png.5b52c3f6f4cf18205847a76f412fdf62.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, swifty said:

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I was asking about creating UDIM's directly in 3DC - I saw this one, he creates the UDIM's in Maya & then returns to 3DC so I'm assuming the answer to my Q is No - in which case, I'll put this up as a feature request.

Thanks again

Yeah, UV Editing/Painting in a UDIM layout (2D Texture Editor) is not currently available in 3DCoat and it is something I hope Andrew adds soon. However, it's not a huge deal in 3DCoat. I liken 3DCoat's UV Sets to having UVs arranged in a vertical stack, and UDIMS laid/spread out in a horizontal alignment. You can create UV sets in 3DCoat and choose the EXPORT UV SETS AS TILES in the export dialog, to have them show up in UDIM layout in Blender.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I tried to do just that and couldn't get it to work. Created 2 x UV maps in 3DC for a character. Exported with UV sets as tiles. Sent it back to Blender (via Applink) and it would show only 1 map - I will try again as maybe I did something wrong in Blender - (still very much the Noob in Blender not much above the ol' donut tutorial however I have just discovered the abomination that is Blenders rigging layers)

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] How Do I Create UDIM's in 3DC?