3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Hi @AndrewShpagin

Please check this issue with a perfomance on PowerSmooth Tool

Steps - import model, select 2K Texture, paint wtih a big radius. And you will see bad FPS = 1-3, with small radius it 70-100FPS

I tested it on 3080 with 16Gb VRam and the latest build - 3DCoat-2022-46

For example in Mudbox 2023 - everything is fast, even with a very big radius... and 4K Texture. If needed - I will record a video example with it perfomance.

Video with an issue:

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.

Plane.fbx

Edited by artofcharly
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Hi @AndrewShpagin

Here's how it works in Mudbox. I created an 8K layer and as you can see, even with a very large radius - FPS = 60. So we draw and blur in RealTime.

Video:

If you watch again that video I uploaded earlier - you will notice that with a large radius in 3D-Coat - we see lags and freezes or 2-5 fps while using Power-Smooth.

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, artofcharly said:

Any news @Andrew Shpagin ?

I raised the same issue with Andrew a few years ago, using Mudbox as an example in the same way. A new GPU brush engine has supposedly been in the works, in the paint workspace, but there were a few issues that had to be dealt with before it could be made available in a public build. I know the developer working on it, was asked to do some other things in the app since...like adding GPU acceleration to some of the Voxel Brushes (that had been notoriously sluggish....even though they were CPU multi-threaded). It made a huge difference in those brushes. Hopefully, the new GPU brush engine for 3DCoat will have the same kind of impact. I think Mudbox's paint engine is GPU accelerated to some degree, and perhaps Substance as well.

Nevertheless, one reason why the performance is so different when using large brush radiuses, is that 3DCoat stores 4 maps for every layer, whereas Mudbox only paints one at a time. Still, I hope Andrew can dig deep into this topic and find some ways to optimize the large brush performance and the Sliders (color, depth, glossiness and metalness), even with CPU multi-threading.

• Like 1