3DCoat Forums

3DCoat Textura (Bugs) with Exporting/Importing Layers with Glossiness/UV Adjust and a Few more

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

RudyRG3D was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

Hello,

I just wanted to mention a few things I found (could be bugs) while working with 3D Coat Textura. I hope this helps.

1.) While going to Textures>Export>"Layers with Color/Depth/Glossiness" everything seems to export fine; however, upon importing via the layers.xml file generated, the Glossiness is not correct. The Function states (upon hovering over the export command) that this method is good for transferring Layers from one model to another. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. Even, upon importing to my exact same reference model that I just exported everything from, that too is very very glossy. This must be a bug as the roughness/glossiness is now inconsistent and not reliable.

2.) Trying to find a workaround, I exported just the Roughness map via two ways. One way is through the Texture Panel, and the other is near the bottom of the Layers Panel. Upon Importing, both methods work the same way by placing a new layer at the very top of your Layers stack. Wouldn't one method work that way, and the other work as propagating it two the separate layers, since it asks for the UVSet to reference? I could be wrong, but would be very useful. Currently, they act both the exact same way, and I cannot find a way to take that new upper layer created upon importing and propagate it down to embed it within my painted layers.

3.) Going to Textures>Import UV (which is supposed to take an updated UV layout change) when I do that, all of my UVs are flipped in the Vertical direction, even if the UV Set was unchanged. Being in Textura, I cannot find a way to flip the UVs Vertically in the Texture Editor, so I am guessing I cannot do that in Textura.

4.) If I go into Maya and adjust a UV Set layout, lets say, because I decided I wanted to combine UVs into a Set and condense things bit...when I then go back to Textura and Reimport Geometry only, it asks for my new map sizes which is fine. However, when the reimporting is done, my maps get messed up. I could see if the maps get messed up on the UV Sets that were changed, but there seems to be something happening in the background with the layering order and affecting some UV Sets that were not adjusted at all. This, is what led me to find a workaround with using my #1 (listed above.)

5.) Upon reimporting and entering my map sizes as Textura asks, I then started painting and noticed my resolution was incorrect for the Texel sizes I computed in Maya. If I go to "Mesh and Texture Resolution" I found that after the reimporting took place, the map sizes do not "lock-in" if a UV Set was changed. I have to then re-enter my map sizes in the "Mesh and Texture Resolution" area again after the importing is completed. This was is not a big deal, just have to remember to do it and not forget.

6.) Entering a Custom Map size didn't really work for me while importing a mesh. I was trying to enter a size of 12288x12288 (double 6k), and while it allows me to type it in, it seems to force it into the next highest map size when I check in "Mesh and Texture Resolution". Not a big issue as I know that size is uncommon, but I just wanted to mention it in case I found something.

I hope these helps out, as I really like Textura. The first one I mentioned, is a show stopper as I am making assets, and I feel this should be super simple - export and import. The others are ones I found out while trying to figure different methods.

Additional Info: My models are coming in from Maya via .fbx format

Additional Ask: Perhaps a tighter integration with Megascans would be great, or 3D party PBRs in general. Right now, it seems like after installing as an extension from Megascans, the Depth channel when it uses .exr natively is not recognized, even at 1000%. Also, a "Rotate all maps 90 degrees" when setting up a custom Smart Material could be cool and useful along with a place to enter exact numbers, for Scale, etc. in the Material Tool bar.

Thank You for Your Time and I Hope These Help,

Rudy

Edited by RudyRG3D
  • Thanks 1