3DCoat Forums

new to 3dcoat and i have questions

MrMcVector

Hello everyone! I'm new to 3dcoat Textura. I'm new to 3d coat and have a few questions. First it seems for now the only noise generator is for Perlin Noise. Are there plans to expand this and add more in the future? A procedural masking feature would be amazing and help make smart materials in 3dCoat even better. Also why is the normal map not included with the PBR, why does it need to be imported via the texture drop down? if I'm wrong please let me know but i feel this should be part of ANY smart material and not a new layer thats separate from the material Im making . Is Depth the normal map? because I feel if thats the case it really should be called Normal, otherwise wouldnt a heightmap work? Ive tried both in this material Im making and they look the same

Screenshot 2022-09-27 221402.png

Edited by MrMcVector

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, MrMcVector said:

Hello everyone! I'm new to 3dcoat Textura. I'm new to 3d coat and have a few questions. First it seems for now the only noise generator is for Perlin Noise. Are there plans to expand this and add more in the future? A procedural masking feature would be amazing and help make smart materials in 3dCoat even better. Also why is the normal map not included with the PBR, why does it need to be imported via the texture drop down? if I'm wrong please let me know but i feel this should be part of ANY smart material and not a new layer thats separate from the material Im making . Is Depth the normal map? because I feel if thats the case it really should be called Normal, otherwise wouldnt a heightmap work? Ive tried both in this material Im making and they look the same

Screenshot 2022-09-27 221402.png

Please send support@pilgway.com this feature request. I have made the same request multiple times over the past 5 years or so. The more users who request a given feature, the higher the priority it gets. There are different tools that make use of procedural NOISE, and all of them could use a nice large library to choose from. Even the FILL tool has more procedural noise types than what is available in the Smart Materials panel. I wish Andrew would make those and other noise types available.

There is a large opensource noise library called Bercon Maps, which is used in 3dsMax. I wish Andrew would try to add these procedural maps to all the Noise-based tools in 3DCoat, including the NOISE tool in the Sculpt Workspace.

360b_Bercon_Maps.jpg 

https://github.com/Bercon/BerconMaps

On 9/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, AbnRanger said:

Please send support@pilgway.com this feature request. I have made the same request multiple times over the past 5 years or so. The more users who request a given feature, the higher the priority it gets. There are different tools that make use of procedural NOISE, and all of them could use a nice large library to choose from. Even the FILL tool has more procedural noise types than what is available in the Smart Materials panel. I wish Andrew would make those and other noise types available.

There is a large opensource noise library called Bercon Maps, which is used in 3dsMax. I wish Andrew would try to add these procedural maps to all the Noise-based tools in 3DCoat, including the NOISE tool in the Sculpt Workspace.

360b_Bercon_Maps.jpg 

https://github.com/Bercon/BerconMaps

Email sent, fingers crossed but if its been something thats been requested for that long maybe not.