3DCoat Forums

My retopology sink into the reference model

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution
11 hours ago, karanoshoujo2000 said:

After I retopologised the base model, I cloned the body part and tried to snap it to the cloth. But the retopology "sinks" into it, and as a result, many details are lost.

Is there a way to fix this?

1aj6GpT.png

This video might offer some good practices to use in such situations.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, AbnRanger said:

This video might offer some good practices to use in such situations.

Thank you very much for this video, but what is the reason for that? This problem didn't exist when I retopped the body, so is there any specific way to construct the cloth to prevent this in future projects?

• Contributor

Hello!

Dont forget the Z-Bias offset in the Top Bar. It is a virtual offset between Retopo Mesh and Reference. In many cases It is normal that round surfaces stick through a polygon, because its flat. It can be fixed with baking inside and outside scan settings later. Just came up to my mind. 

On 10/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, Ctc_nick said:

Hello!

Dont forget the Z-Bias offset in the Top Bar. It is a virtual offset between Retopo Mesh and Reference. In many cases It is normal that round surfaces stick through a polygon, because its flat. It can be fixed with baking inside and outside scan settings later. Just came up to my mind. 

Hi!!

Sorry, I'm a little new at this, but what do you mean by " baking inside and outside scan settings later"?

On 10/25/2022 at 6:55 PM, Ctc_nick said:

Hello. No Problem! I meant this dialog, if you plan to 'bake' textures like color, normals, etc on your retopology. It allows you to artificially thicken the mesh, so that you don't have to worry about white spots on the texture afterwards. Just look how badly my mesh is sticking through, but the resulting paint mesh with normal map look totally fine.

Now with your thin cloth it is a bit special. It can also be that the retopo snaps to the wrong side. For that you could try

Increase the subdivisions on Sculpt Mesh, maybe try switching Voxel or Surface Mode, and use a smaller brush to get more snapping on the right side.

Or better, thicken the sculpt surface from the inside or even turn it to a solid if possible.

I think I would retopoligy only the outside and then use extrude shell to thicken the cloth.. 

Or use the Body for Retopoligy and extrude (for skinny cloth) from that. Lastly you can tweak the areas where the body sticks trough the cloth.

Hope this helps!

image.thumb.png.aa14d5f9b0d5ed39a54413771efa60e7.png

Thank you very much for the solution nick! Can I contact you later if I ran into the problem with that?

• Like 1

• Contributor
18 hours ago, karanoshoujo2000 said:

Thank you very much for the solution nick! Can I contact you later if I ran into the problem with that?

Hi. Yes you can contact me. 

I'm glad that I could help! So how did you do it?

Have a nice Day!

Edited by Ctc_nick