3DCoat Forums

[ Resolved ] Rotate Brush Alpha - Sculpt room and Paint room

MagnusL

Go to solution Solved by Elemeno,

EDIT:
Thanks Elemeno, didn't know this already existed in Paint room, edited the topic

EDIT 2: After a little more investigation as it didn't make sense it was available in Paint room but i couldn't find it in Sculpt room, found it under the tickbox "jitter", would be almost self explanatory if it wasn't hidden there, but put under "Modifiers"

Having a sequence brush that exist in Marmoset 4 would be nice, either to use when sculpting on Alpha / stamps or as brush when painting in Paint room.

Marmoset 4 uses a set of equally sized images saved as png ( or any other alpha preserving format) in a regular paint program as a strip
Marmoset 4 has support for up to 8 ( as per the version i own.) When painting, marmoset cycles through each stamp, in 3DC this is simlar to the "Spacing" setting. 

This feature in Marmoset 4 makes it easy to creates a nice random effect

image.thumb.png.92b38787e617601f04bd9ce862f02f5a.png

In conjunction with the sequence / rotating feature it has all the other "ordinary" paint features as opactiy, hardness, jitter, contrast e.t.c

FEATURE REQUEST:
Having to edit these strips for Marmoset 4 is a little timeconsuming so i think it would be more flexible to have separate "image slots" instead to load 1 single Alpha image into, but have up to 8 slots, prehaps formed as a list,
and if only 1 slot is occupied the brush is treated like a normal brush in 3DC, but loading the list with more Alpha images, 3DC would sequence through these 1 after another, either having a static sequence that runs from 1 -> X or have a setting that randomly chooses one of these images each new step.

image.png.89337784da3df443a40d1f2acdc7338f.png

Edited by MagnusL
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks, i see now it says "solution" to this request and that it's for paint room, i mentioned sculpt room, the primary request is for sculpt room as i can't make this work in sculpt room.. it was easy to get it working in paint room but i didn't realize there was such a function

So, if this is a solution, how do i do this in Sculptroom? I can't make the "rotate" function do anything close to this exept statically rotate to some degree

Edited by MagnusL
Edit topic and clarify question

• MagnusL changed the title to [ Resolved ] Rotate Brush Alpha - Sculpt room and Paint room
20 hours ago, MagnusL said:

Having a sequence brush that exist in Marmoset 4 would be nice, either to use when sculpting on Alpha / stamps or as brush when painting in Paint room.

You only need to select several brushes at same time (shift+LMB) and paint to sequence paint.
image.png

----------------------------------------

Rotate along... is located here on new tools
image.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks Carlosan, Yeah, rotate Alpha along brush stroke is obvious as it's in your face all the time, same goes for the static rotate, which to me seems less useful.
The sequence though: Convoluted function 101? lol..  I can have a vivid imagination at times but knowing how "dumb" many apps are, "Hey., try this, then go buy a lottery ticket for figuring this out"

Now, i rarely have to go into the manual to look something up but in this case, even after you telling about it i could not find it there, so this definitely should be highlighted.
maybe create a new label  in the Online manual under "Paint" ( or for all that benefit from it) and name it something like:

"Special features"
1. If you Shift-select 2 or more brushes, 3DCoat will sequence these in random.

.. if there are more features that is "hidden"  it would make sense to highlight these in the manual aswell.

I think there's some caveats here though:
1. Sequence brush doesn't seem to work in sculpt mode ( bug or not a feature?)

2. The random function doesn't check what number in the sequence has been used so it can play the same brush repeatedly. The Rotation option nicely avoids that "static pattern", so changing this to never play the same alpha twice in a row ( i mean successively.) will make it look even better... more so if the brushes are similar.

image.thumb.png.1969dfbd8544ad6c5477827e17864591.png

3. Selecting more than 2 brushes it would be nice to have a "Sequence spacing" option to override each individual brush

Edited by MagnusL
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Wow, that is freaking awesome! I would not have remotely known that this is already possible! Such a powerful feature yet not obvious, agree. Already felt sad that sprite brushes are not a thing in 3D Coat, as I enjoy them a lot in Marmoset. But what do you know? As so often in 3D Coat, it is already there, probably forever, and even more flexible and convenient...

@MagnusL @Carlosan In conjunction with the sequence / rotating feature it has all the other "ordinary" paint features as opactiy, hardness, jitter, contrast e.t.c

Where would I edit the brush tip contrast in 3D Coat ? I can't seem to find any place in 3D Coat where I could edit the alpha itself? Did you find anything on that? I would love to alter the contrast of the brush tip as in Marmoset. I see no such option in the Brush Options Panel. (I would not want to go into Photoshop for it, but rather be able to tweak it directly in Coat)

Edited by Henry Townshend
more detail

• 1 year later...