3DCoat Forums

new multires issues

new multires sculpting is a great start, performance is awesome, had well over 100mil polys active at 6 subdivs and it was running smooth. There are some major issues with the feature that need to be fixed before it's a usable tool though:

1) UVs need to be preserved (in progress i know but it's absolutely essential to working with basemeshes in the first place)

2) quad topology. absolutely essential. when you subdivide a triangulated mesh you have nothing but a mess to deal with, baking looks like ***** because it doesn't shade properly, smoothing doesn't work cause subdivided triangles make a mess, ruin your edgeflow, and don't relax properly, so you end up in the same situation as with voxels where you need a much higher resolution to keep lines crisp even when you're working in an area that was specifically designed to have those lines crisp from the start.

• Like 2

I too would say that this is a great start, thank you for listening to our feedback.

The issues Tieguaili pointed out are super relevant to have a clean multi res workflow. I would also add the restrictive nature of rooms also hinders that workflow (for example, you just can't use modelling room tools on sculpt meshes and vice versa). If we are to get rid of these shortcomings I'm 100% positive 3DCoat could replace ZBrush for so many artists out there that are looking for a decent alternative after Maxon takeover.

• Like 1