3DCoat Forums

3.6Gb model( native .3b format) need 4 minutes to load - 3DC beta 049

MagnusL

EDIT: Updated the time it takes, not horrendous but still.. very slow

Not sure where i should post this.. it feels urgent.. but not SOS urgent. i'm using the latest BETA ( 049)

Purchased a course yesterday where we get a model saved in native .3b format, (Surface sculpt object) and it took a whooping 15 minutes to load

After re-saving the object with this beta version it still takes 3 minutes to load.

Loaded the original project again and it take just shy under 5 minutes to load this file..
Even hiding / unhiding layers is a significant delay on and it's nearly unusable to work with

snails in molasses feels faster

I would think my computer is considered fast as even Zbrush feels snappy..
AMD 5950x
128Gb gSkill Ripjaw RAM
2x Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB NVMe SSD drives capable of shuffling 7000 mb/s  R/W

a 32 mil polygon object with 7 layers in Zbrush takes 4 seconds to load so i wonder why 3DCoat is so slow

Edited by MagnusL
Made some more tests, edited the time

• MagnusL changed the title to 3.6Gb model( native .3b format) need 4 minutes to load - 3DC beta 049

As i wrote: 15 minutes first time yesterday, then re-saved the file so i imagined after saving it in the beta version whatever made it load so slow would be fixed, it got faster but still veeeery slow.

Also just out of interrest i checked the cpu and drives today.. interresting to see that all cores spike like crazy
This is loading the saved file after starting 3DC for the first time today, so i have not had 3DC running before this test

image.thumb.png.9ed9faf159176c58b014a9691dc6396c.png

I loaded the original file again and it's about 4 - 5 minutes ( the file that took 15 minutes yesterday) so ther's no apparent difference between the original and the "re-saved" version.

However, turning layers on/off make the CPU go crazy and spike the same way it does when opening the project..
which may explain why there is an apparent delay when doing so. Maybe there's a connection here why it takes so long to load the project if each layer has a inherent load time the whle CPU gets completely bogged down

image.thumb.png.9ef186fd50f1a5d1ebf845710fb1530d.png

Edited by MagnusL

Thanks for being hot on each trail Carlosan, much appreciated to get fast answers.

The vertical synchronisation had 0 effect on this problem.

image.thumb.png.6ab6c639832df17c7b2d423cc6ef724e.png

I reported the CPU bug the 14'th of September .but have got no reply if it is aknowledged or not..

I usually don't bog support down with a myriad of questions if it is not 100% necessary and i never send any repeated messages without waiting at least a week if i don't get a reply so..

If there is a minimal staff here @ pilgway that handles these things, maybe change the support handling and start using a bugtracker type framework where bugs are openly added so people can see in what order and state they are. when and if they are aknowledged.. much like the roadmap.

that way support would have far less inquireys and have far less answers that may be of the same type of issues.  With support not answering, people will get frustrated maybe out of no reason.. having an open bugtracker means the userbase can point to this information and lay off the teams back a little.

Yes, i'll assemble things and make a post to Andrew then

My first thought is to RTFM or else post issues here first to see what kind of status it might get..Not used to the way you do things around here.
I'm moderating in other forums and discords so i know the general rules of not immediately post stuff to certain people.

Cheers
EDIT

I have yet again uninstalled 3DC, cleaned registry and made a full install back to stable version 047 , the same issue and loading times persists.

I also noted that RAM usage when this model is loaded ramps up to 35GB, closing this model it drops back to 6Gb.. so i'm guessing there is some decompressing going on for each layer that could explain the loading times?

Edited by MagnusL
words, words words
  • Thanks 1