3DCoat Forums

3D Coat Textura - Can I change a UV set for particular texture layer?

Inegvin

Question

This question was bothering me for a while... When we import a new texture we can choose the UV set that it will be applyed to. But is there any way to change it later? Or make one layer affect two UV sets?  What if I painted some element on UV Set 1 and then I want to copy this part of texture to my UV Set 2? How can I do that?

6 answers to this question

• Advanced Member
35 minutes ago, Inegvin said:

This question was bothering me for a while... When we import a new texture we can choose the UV set that it will be applyed to. But is there any way to change it later? Or make one layer affect two UV sets?  What if I painted some element on UV Set 1 and then I want to copy this part of texture to my UV Set 2? How can I do that?

imagine uvs as a piece of paper...

that piece of paper wraps around your mesh

you only have one uv set for each mesh...

and yes later on you could chance the uv set but i don't think you would be able to do it in 3d coat ...

i know blender can bake one albedo to another

On 11/7/2022 at 1:02 PM, Elemeno said:

imagine uvs as a piece of paper...

that piece of paper wraps around your mesh

you only have one uv set for each mesh...

and yes later on you could chance the uv set but i don't think you would be able to do it in 3d coat ...

i know blender can bake one albedo to another

Hmmm... I don't have anything to bake and I don't need to change the uv sets. I simply have a body with some UDIMS, that I have to import separately, cause othervise 3D Coat ignores the UDIMS. Then I import bunch of clothes that has different materials (UV Sets) with some base textures on it. But each time I import the next model, its textures get automaticaly applied to the body UV Set, but not to its imported mesh (3D Coat messes up the textures that are imported with FBX). So the only thing I can do is to delete those texture layers, go to import find and reimport all those textures to the right UV Set. Same goes for the patterns: if you have a PBR pattern and you want to apply it on different UV Sets, (lets say on pants, on the jacket and on shoes that are located on a different udims) then you have to select each UV Set and repeat importing of the same textures over and over and over again. Which doesn't feel right. 
So I was asking if there is any approach when I can import textures just once in the project and then use it in a different UV Sets. Or how can I fix imported textures that for some reason automaticaly  were applied to the wrong UV set

Edited by Inegvin

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Inegvin said:

Hmmm... I don't have anything to bake and I don't need to change the uv sets. I simply have a body with some tiles, that I have to import separately, cause othervise 3D Coat ignores the tiles. Then I import bunch of clothes that has different materials (UV Sets) with some base textures on it. But each time I import the next model, its textures get automaticaly applied to the body UV Set, but not to its imported mesh (3D Coat messes up the textures that are imported with FBX). So the only thing I can do is to delete those texture layers, go to import find and reimport all those textures to the right UV Set. Same goes for the patterns: if you have a PBR pattern and you want to apply it on different UV Sets, (lets say on pants, on the jacket and on shoes that are located on a different tiles) then you have to select each UV Set and repeat importing of the same textures over and over and over again. Which doesn't feel right. 
So I was asking if there is any approach when I can import textures just once in the project and then use it in a different UV Sets. Or how can I fix imported textures that for some reason automaticaly  were applied to the wrong UV set

trouble is... nothing has a universal name ...

so if youve imported seperate polygroups... just apply the textures to those polygroups... unless youre using udims.. then i dont think 3dcoat supports udims

3DC will look at UV tiles as UDIMs, and will allow you to import and export them. The function is currently called "Import UV Tiles as UV Sets". It was called "Import UV Tiles as UDIM", but someone (other than me) changed it back to it's old name.

That said, when you import your file, tick the box "Import UV TIles as UV Sets", and it will import all of your tiles and rename them according to their UDIMs. Then also when you're done and exporting, tick the box "Export UV Sets as UV Tiles", this will keep the UDIM imported tiles and the names assigned to them upon import.

Technically UV Sets are different than UV Tiles or UDIM, and 3D-Coat does not actually support real UV tiling or real UDIM. Using UV Sets is a sort of elegant workaround.

ImportUdim.png.5b52c3f6f4cf18205847a76f412fdf62.png

Note:

All UVlayouts must be on 0,1 location

image.png

UV Editing/Painting in a UDIM layout (2D Texture Editor) is not currently available in 3DCoat.

• Like 1