3DCoat Forums

Questions/Help i need answered (New to 3D Coat, but not 3D Software)

Glitch Gremlin

Hello, there are a few things i really need answered but i can't seem to find the answers anywhere online, so i figured id start this thread and anytime i needed to ask a question i could ask it here, and if you fine people are able to put up with my silly newbie questions perhaps i can figure out how to use this software. i can already tell from using it all day long for the last say, 4 or 5 days that it will quite possibly be my favorite 3D software, even more so than Zbrush or Blender "for Sculpting/Modeling/Retopo/Hard Surface/Texture ect" 

but there are a few things i cannot figure out for the life of me, or as i said find when i Google. so if any of you can help me you'll be doing me a huge favor

first off

1: When i model something with points/quads in Modeling room, i try to take it to sculpting room and it's clear. like Ghosted i think is the term that's used in 3D Coat? i cannot find any information about what im doing wrong with that, how to make it solid or anything

2: This whole Voxel thing.. i see you can do Res+ in the options to give the Voxels more Resolution, ok great. and i see apparently you can do Resample to drop it back down levels? 

so here is my question about that. what is the difference between V and S? sometimes my model is V, and it has Voxel brushes.. sometimes it's S, and i think that's called Surface mode Correct? what is the purpose of Surface Mode, and how can i keep it in Voxel? SHOULD i keep it in Voxel? im really confused about all of that. i mean, i know Zbrush has Subdivisions, Dynamesh, Sculptris Pro mode.. which btw i only ever used Sculptris Pro for extremely fine details on my Subdivided models.. and i used Dynamesh to basically sketch out my model

is that what Voxel/Surface is for? Surface to sketch it out, Voxel for fine detail? or vice versa? 

im sure. CERTAIN actually that ill come up with more questions, but so far these are the ones bugging me the most that i simply cannot find answers too, so like i said, forgive me if these have been asked a million times, but maybe this thread will help someone else besides myself right?

thank you, God bless everyone of you that takes your time out to help my Ignorant self learn this amazing program!

-Mack

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Glitch Gremlin said:

Hello, there are a few things i really need answered but i can't seem to find the answers anywhere online, so i figured id start this thread and anytime i needed to ask a question i could ask it here, and if you fine people are able to put up with my silly newbie questions perhaps i can figure out how to use this software. i can already tell from using it all day long for the last say, 4 or 5 days that it will quite possibly be my favorite 3D software, even more so than Zbrush or Blender "for Sculpting/Modeling/Retopo/Hard Surface/Texture ect" 

but there are a few things i cannot figure out for the life of me, or as i said find when i Google. so if any of you can help me you'll be doing me a huge favor

first off

1: When i model something with points/quads in Modeling room, i try to take it to sculpting room and it's clear. like Ghosted i think is the term that's used in 3D Coat? i cannot find any information about what im doing wrong with that, how to make it solid or anything

2: This whole Voxel thing.. i see you can do Res+ in the options to give the Voxels more Resolution, ok great. and i see apparently you can do Resample to drop it back down levels? 

so here is my question about that. what is the difference between V and S? sometimes my model is V, and it has Voxel brushes.. sometimes it's S, and i think that's called Surface mode Correct? what is the purpose of Surface Mode, and how can i keep it in Voxel? SHOULD i keep it in Voxel? im really confused about all of that. i mean, i know Zbrush has Subdivisions, Dynamesh, Sculptris Pro mode.. which btw i only ever used Sculptris Pro for extremely fine details on my Subdivided models.. and i used Dynamesh to basically sketch out my model

is that what Voxel/Surface is for? Surface to sketch it out, Voxel for fine detail? or vice versa? 

im sure. CERTAIN actually that ill come up with more questions, but so far these are the ones bugging me the most that i simply cannot find answers too, so like i said, forgive me if these have been asked a million times, but maybe this thread will help someone else besides myself right?

thank you, God bless everyone of you that takes your time out to help my Ignorant self learn this amazing program!

-Mack

1) lots of different meanings when you say ghosted...

if you provide a Screenshot i could probably tell you

2) voxels are great for sculpting out your base.. you can get some great detail but voxels constantly recalculate to stop stretching so youre not bounded by topology and can sculpt whatever you want without remeshing.

with that being said... if youre doing anything where youre pinching edges and need topology to stay how it is, the use surface mode.. it wont recalculate and will allow you to keep the topology ,if that makes sense?

10 hours ago, Elemeno said:

1) lots of different meanings when you say ghosted...

if you provide a Screenshot i could probably tell you

2) voxels are great for sculpting out your base.. you can get some great detail but voxels constantly recalculate to stop stretching so youre not bounded by topology and can sculpt whatever you want without remeshing.

with that being said... if youre doing anything where youre pinching edges and need topology to stay how it is, the use surface mode.. it wont recalculate and will allow you to keep the topology ,if that makes sense?

Oh ok that makes sense. so say if i was blocking out a Robot, or something hard Surface, id want to use Surface mode? would i start in Surface Mode? or block it out in Voxels and then turn it surface mode to "Finesse" it to the final sharpness? 

also basically i probably have no idea about the whole "Ghosted" thing, all i know is when i poly model something, then try to take it into sculpting room, its clear and cannot be interacted with. i can't turn it into Voxes or Surface mode, nothing. 

• Advanced Member
On 11/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Glitch Gremlin said:

Oh ok that makes sense. so say if i was blocking out a Robot, or something hard Surface, id want to use Surface mode? would i start in Surface Mode? or block it out in Voxels and then turn it surface mode to "Finesse" it to the final sharpness? 

also basically i probably have no idea about the whole "Ghosted" thing, all i know is when i poly model something, then try to take it into sculpting room, its clear and cannot be interacted with. i can't turn it into Voxes or Surface mode, nothing. 

i made a quick video for you for getting modelling room to sculpt... its a strange process but its because it has to convert it into voxels.

and yes normally ill block out using primitives and basic sculpting then i go to surface mode sharpen the edges using pinch or roof pinch and a mild smooth i use convex smooth but honestly .... i have no idea what all the smooth tools do .. i just try until i get my desired resu

also i dont use the modelling tools much but hopefully this helps

Edited by Elemeno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

i made a quick video for you for getting modelling room to sculpt... its a strange process but its because it has to convert it into voxels.

and yes normally ill block out using primitives and basic sculpting then i go to surface mode sharpen the edges using pinch or roof pinch and a mild smooth i use convex smooth but honestly .... i have no idea what all the smooth tools do .. i just try until i get my desired result

also i dont use the modelling tools much but hopefully this helps

Thank you so much for your help! i gotta tell you, its so refreshing and awesome to come to a community that actually wants to HELP its members instead of how everyone has been in the Zbrush forums/subreddits lately. if you ask questions there you might as well be talking to a Door. very sad. 

but im happy ive found my new home. 

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Glitch Gremlin said:

Thank you so much for your help! i gotta tell you, its so refreshing and awesome to come to a community that actually wants to HELP its members instead of how everyone has been in the Zbrush forums/subreddits lately. if you ask questions there you might as well be talking to a Door. very sad. 

but im happy ive found my new home. 

no worries.. if i can help im always here :D

14 hours ago, Elemeno said:

no worries.. if i can help im always here :D

Hey, i was wondering. is it possible for you to explain to me why "Unlink Sculpt Mesh" does that? like i see that it does.. but i like to get an idea of why Tools work the way they do so i can problem solve for myself after a certain amount of time.. ive started to be able to solve my own issues without having to Google them in the past month or so, after working with 3D Programs now for like... 2 and a half, to 3 years, and its the most amazing feeling to finally know enough about how things work to solve a problem without needing help.. but im still really new into 3D Coat so i haven't found any workflow tutorials that explain why that is a part of the whole flow of going from a Poly Model to Voxel

2 hours ago, Elemeno said:

because it takes that model and converts it into thousands triangles...

Oh, no i got that part. i was just wondering why 1, its hidden in a menu i guess and 2, why its called "unlink sculpt mesh" or whatever, it just seems weird it'd be so convoluted to turn a Poly Model into Voxels, you'd think they'd just have a button or something that says "Turn to Voxels" or whatever, but ive asked myself questions about that in other programs as well so nothing new there i guess

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Glitch Gremlin said:

Oh, no i got that part. i was just wondering why 1, its hidden in a menu i guess and 2, why its called "unlink sculpt mesh" or whatever, it just seems weird it'd be so convoluted to turn a Poly Model into Voxels, you'd think they'd just have a button or something that says "Turn to Voxels" or whatever, but ive asked myself questions about that in other programs as well so nothing new there i guess

yes i know... the ui can be hugely confusing...

theres alot of things on there that could be change to help people navigate properly

• Like 2

• 1 month later...