3DCoat Forums

2022.47 Learning edition Automatically adding seams at random while modeling in the modeling room

Hello. I currently have Auto Unwrap Attached Faces unchecked in the mesh settings withing the modeling room but somehow when doing certain operations like "Split Rings" or using "Points To Polygon" tool and holding the "Ctrl" key to add an edgeloop my model automatically adds seams on that edge. Also the seam seems to be random. this also happens when using the "Cap" tool on an open edgeloop. Im sure this is a bug because when I go to the "Mark Seams" tool to use the "Ctrl" key to unmark seams these seams dont remove themselves. Very Odd. 

On a positive note I'm loving the modeling tools they are super handy. I spent the last month learning zmodeler like the back of my hand in ZBrush and in comparison to that these tools are second to only maya and blender. Going to spend the next month putting this software through its paces. I've used it before but not in a sense where my mind was constantly looking at other software. If it passes my tests its an automatic purchase for me! And this time I wont stop my rent to own payments 4 months in lol

Weird Topo.jpg

• Thanks 1

After more investigation this issue is stemming from the other post I made about poly group errors when making edits on one group while another one is selected. Somehow some extra UV sets got added and those marked seams were all on different UV sets. Once I unified the UV sets and got rid of the unused ones I was able to clear the seams from each object. Now in my mind this is a bug but I'm glad I was able to solve it in house. Saddened me to the point I thought I had to change programs.

The ideal workflow though should be similar to zbrush where it automatically creates a new "Subtool" for you whenever you want to add more geometry. I know there is a boolean feature when using the primitive tools but this should be something that has to be triggered by the user. For me when I'm blocking out I like to add shapes quickly and I dont want to have to deal with them creating their own booleans by default anyways when I hit the apply button I would rather have something similar to every other program where booleans are something you must explicitly turn on. I do want new geometry to automatically add itself to a new poly group. Now this will require some added functionality written into the polygroups. Something similar to how the sculpt tree works in sculpt mode where you can ctrl or shift drag a layer on top of another to activate a boolean. 

What I think would be even cooler is if you could make a polygroup a child of another polygroup layer and have right click options on the child layer to set it to "Union, Subtractive, Intersect" This will introduce non destructive booleans to the mix. But I'm in no rush for that. I want stability first.

I will also post this in feature requests.