3DCoat Forums

Retopo and Modeling room: should the rooms be unified ?

Retopo and Modeling room: should the rooms be unified ?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Retopo and Modeling room: should the rooms be unified ?

• Yes, of course
    • No, it's okay like that

Source...

Greggory Addison: I did figure out that the modeling room has its own UV tools so you don't need to go the UV room to do unwrap.
AntonTenitsky: I use retopo or modeling room to do UVs.
Greggory Addison: Yea I ended up realizing that the modeling room has its own Uv tools so that gripe is solved. Retopo and modeling look exactly the same and with all the UV tools being in the modeling room I see no need for that room now.

--------------------

So the question is: Retopo and Modeling room: should the rooms be unified as Low Poly Room ?

Note: Please, if possible, write on what you base your vote.

• Like 1

We ideally don't need any rooms in all fairness, or not the ones that lock you out of using tools from other rooms. There needs to be fluidity in the workflow, I don't have to fight this rigid linear path 3dcoat forces you into. I'd like to be able to use tools from modelling room while sculpting and vice versa.

• Reputable Contributor
On 11/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, AntonTenitsky said:

yes, and the UV room as well to be honest

I agree, but the UV room is essentially a companion workspace for the Paint Room, so to remove the UV room, he would have to merge/fuse PAINT OBJECTS with RETOPO OBJECTS. I have been asking for this for years....to better simplify the app and make it easier for new users to learn.

@AbnRanger From what I understand, there is an engine that handles lowpoly geometry. Corresponds to 2D projections over UV geometry: paint tools, tweak, UVs and works with quads.
There is another engine that works with triangles and handles highpoly geometry. Corresponds to the voxel and surface sculpting and 3D paint tools (poly, voxel & factures) and works with tris.
In middle there is a third engine that acts as a bridge between LP and HP where the projection to the 2D plane (UV) is executed: the baking. Could be baking sculpt done in 3D or LP mesh done in modeling. Corresponds to retopo and modeling tools.