3DCoat Forums

Voxel sculpting primer

3dioot

• Advanced Member

post-949-1244878815_thumb.jpg

This is a little voxel primer to celebrate 3dcoat v3's release. I start out by explaining some of the neccesities and then sculpt a basic ear. The following topics are touched upon:

- Navigation

- Voxel principles you need to understand

- Basic tool settings (strength, radius, tablet settings)

- Some of the essential brushes

- Sculpting an ear!

I was pretty tired when i made this so i hope my voice doesnt sound to boring. ;)

Enjoy!

Thanks for assembling that informative voxel presentation, and explaining the technology's principles, 3dioot.

I never realized that the Move tool can smoothly pull a surface outward perpendicularly by pressing the Control key. Very handy!

• Contributor

Thank you so much! That was well presented and inspirational. While attempting to follow along, I encountered problems with some of the tools. Increasing resolution did little to improve things as huge file size did little to mitigate the poor performance.post-1430-1244914240_thumb.png

I am using the windows 64 CUDA version on vista ultimate 64. My video card is geforce 9600 gt, & 8 core 2.5 with 8 RAM

I guess all I ask from you is, "this is wrong" or "do this...."

• Advanced Member

@ Stanley

Your welcome. I actually remember that feature from a request eventhough i dont remember who asked for it. Want to hear something really funny? It was only after it was implemented in 3dcoat that i realised it works that way in zbrush also. ^_^

@Tony

Thanks! Im glad it inspired you. :) Your rig is very close to mine you should not have those problems and/or slow performance. I dont think its something you did wrong.

Im just guessing here but i think there is a problem with your drivers. Im on 3dcoat 3.00.06 at the moment and using the CUDA version with directX (cause its a bit faster then OGL). I cant replicate your problem. I suggest you download the latest CUDA driver for your videocard and the latest CUDA toolkit. If you still get these bugs i suggest you download and try the non CUDA version just to find out what the problem is. If it persists i think a post in the bugzzz thread is in order. :mellow:

GrtZ 3dioot

• Advanced Member

I used it with the extrude brush.

But if i remember correctly all the lasso tools (it was freehand lasso that i used) work like that for all "simple" brushes. (extrude, carve, airbrush etc)

Hope that helps. :)

3dioot

• Contributor
@ Stanley

Your welcome. I actually remember that feature from a request eventhough i dont remember who asked for it. Want to hear something really funny? It was only after it was implemented in 3dcoat that i realised it works that way in zbrush also. ^_^

@Tony

Thanks! Im glad it inspired you. :) Your rig is very close to mine you should not have those problems and/or slow performance. I dont think its something you did wrong.

Im just guessing here but i think there is a problem with your drivers. Im on 3dcoat 3.00.06 at the moment and using the CUDA version with directX (cause its a bit faster then OGL). I cant replicate your problem. I suggest you download the latest CUDA driver for your videocard and the latest CUDA toolkit. If you still get these bugs i suggest you download and try the non CUDA version just to find out what the problem is. If it persists i think a post in the bugzzz thread is in order. :mellow:

GrtZ 3dioot

The problem originated with my failure to "uninstall" 3DC before installing the new version. Once I went through that procedure, everything is normal! :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

Thanks 3dioot, just finished watching. A great tutorial showing many practical techniques and features.

I think you slightly understate things calling the end result a 'basic ear'. Ear's aren't easy to model, but now it's a heck of a lot easier thanks to you and 3d Coat.

• Advanced Member

@ Tony

Im glad you got it working. Now join the party! ;)

@ e214

Good. Have fun carving stuff up! I still get excited everytime i use it. ^_^

@ Ghostdog

Now that is a nice thing to hear. Thanks man. I guess i called it a basic ear as a little disclaimer to myself. Now that i look at it fresh i allready see things i would like to change. Push that in a little bit, raise that, enlarge the earlobe some (its too small now). I usually take more time to find the shapes im not seeing at first glance. So thats where that wording came from. ;)

Just make sure you use the reference i talk about in the movie. His shapes are excellent.

http://www.rickymujica.com/post/anatomyPos.../earFromRef.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks Julos! I must say the response has been much more enthusiastic then i had expected. I cant deny ive been thinking about a followup eventhough i dont know exactly what im going to do next. Im thinking about a complete head sculpt but im a bit shy; my headsculpts arent so hot. Perhaps a better artist then me is better suited to tackle that? :pardon:

3dioot

It would be great to see additional presentation material, but you probably don't need to be too elaborate about it.

Just viewing examples of how the various tools and commands work in the hands of an experienced, proficient designer is illuminating.

• Advanced Member

"Just viewing examples of how the various tools and commands work in the hands of an experienced, proficient designer is illuminating."

Sheesh man your making me blush. :blush:

Im just an enthusiastic hobbyist. But thankyou very much. ^_^

With that said i thought up a follow up.

post-949-1245104612_thumb.jpg

Can you take a guess? :P I think ill just tackle the voxtree and some of the functions hidden in there.

It probably will be wednesday before i have some time for 3dcoat again so dont expect it too soon.

GrtZ 3dioot

• Advanced Member

3dcoat Voxeltree merging and subtracting

Time for a little followup on my previous video "Voxel Primer". In this video i show you how to seamlessly merge and subtract different volumes and how to work with the voxeltree. These topics are touched.

- Merging in volumes

- Subtracting volumes

- Transforming individual volumes

- Various handy voxtree functions

Hope you guys enjoy it!

3dioot

That's a great walkthrough of the rather inscrutable features of the VoxTree panel!

The video illustrates how a designer can work modularly with the voxel tools, perfecting each component before stitching everything together as one seamless volume.

• Contributor
post-949-1244878815_thumb.jpg

This is a little voxel primer to celebrate 3dcoat v3's release. I start out by explaining some of the neccesities and then sculpt a basic ear. The following topics are touched upon:

- Navigation

- Voxel principles you need to understand

- Basic tool settings (strength, radius, tablet settings)

- Some of the essential brushes

- Sculpting an ear!

I was pretty tired when i made this so i hope my voice doesnt sound to boring. ;)

Enjoy!

Which I did! Very well presented and much appreciated. :clapping:

Thanks for doing these they are great :)

I watched the ear video and plan on watching the the second one later today, are you planning on do others because you have a very relaxed and easy to understand method of getting the information across? :)

• Advanced Member

Your welcome. Happy to hear you had a great vacation.

Thank you for the link from the main 3dcoat site.

Id be happy to upload them for the 3dcoat community if Vimeo gives troubles.

I think the easiest method is for you to send me a PM on how to upload them on your server?

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Voxel sculpting brushes indepth

In this third video i take an in depth look at the voxel brushes. It shows how you can get the most out of them and various tricks to help you achieve more smooth detail on your sculpt. I also lightly touch on the surface tools and their relation to the voxel tools. In the beginning of the video i express the intent to sculpt a mouth at the end but i ran out of time so that will be a seperate video. The following topics are touched.

- The main voxel brushes

- Accurate smoothing

- Surface tools

- Various tips on brush usage

-------

Andrew, i havent received the upload information yet? :)

3dioot