3DCoat Forums

Reasons why i don't upgrade this year

• Advanced Member

I'll add my two cents on top of your extended description.

I really like 3D-Coat and I'm usining it in most of my work. More important, 3D-Coat convinced me to jump into 3D bandwagon but I'm sticking with V4.9 version for now.

What's really frustating is the way it's developed - more and more features are added, often buggy and no fix for very old bugs that been reported more than several times for years.

New releases that should fix some bugs are screwing up other tools instead, tools that were working just fine. Also, couple of tools that were screwed in V4 are not fixed till this day.

Oh, neglecting Render Room is one of my biggest turn offs - no Clown Pass and Flat Shading(workaruond for Clown Pass) doesn't work since V4... Lack of gizmos for lights, type of lights, etc.

• Like 7

Gonna have to agree on most points, especially the room division and a general buggy state of Coat.

There is simply no fluidity in your workflow when you have to switch rooms all the time while using sub-d geometry along with sculpted geo.

Proper masking definitely has to be introduced for PBR painting to get much better.

@Andrew Shpagin

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

I will renew this year, mostly because I have a lot to learn about 3D Coat, and I'm enjoying using it.

That said, I agree with the OP's post, especially about the bugs, as well as on holding back on adding new features.
With new features new tutorials are needed, and as pointed out above, it's already sometimes difficult to find a walkthrough for existing features.

As for the learning resources, I feel 3D Coat is wrapped in a strange ecosystem.
On one hand, there are lots of videos around. Carlosan alone posts so much stuff every day, which is impossible to keep up (at least for me). But, please, keep doing that! :)
Those are valuable resources.

On the other hand, all those videos are scattered across different topics. Each one will focus on a single feature of a rather vast 3D application — perhaps too vast? One more reason to hold back on adding new features?

Anyway, what's missing is one single tutorial that can explain new users how to tackle one basic project, from start to finish.
Off the top of my head, I can think of something like starting from an external DCC, with all export-import implications (it would suffice to explain the theory, not necessarily using all different DCC available); different case scenario of UV-ing (Is it done externally? Is it being handled inside 3D Coat?); the whole process of sculpting (a simple model would suffice), baking, and painting; finally, exporting the file and all the textures. 

I'm not sure if other users share my same expectations, but when I started with 3D Coat, I wanted to be able to apply some smart materials, do some basic painting, and get a nice curvature map to render worn edges. This may sound simple in theory, whereas it opened a can of worms considered all the steps one has to go through. Not that it's always easier in other applications, there's a lot to learn. But having one tutorial to jump start on the common workflow which we see elsewhere (SP for instance) would be really useful.

After all, I'm sure many are approaching 3D Coat because there's a shared willing to ditch Adobe, or Maxon, or other major 3D companies. A basic introduction for those people on how to replicate the usual tasks in 3D Coat would be crucial.

As for the bugs, I have to admit, I don't feel like I want to push 3D Coat much, I always have this feeling that sooner or later may crash, or things may work in unexpected way. 
That said, kudos to the people here. So far, I've had a pleasant experience with prompt reactions from Carlosan, and the devs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

I did renew but I agree with most of the above. 3DC Dev team needs a dedicated developer who is listening to artists and their needs, while Andrew and rest of the team does their funky stuff that nobody uses. It already has most of the features needed in the industry. It doesnt have to have everything like Blender. Good post op :)

Edited by Koray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that at this point the team is not seeing that the potential of 3D coat to become as major as zbrush is not in adding more features, but to make it stable fluid and accessible to new users. 

I made 4 people in my community to try 3dcoat demo back in 2022 after a already buy it. none of them buy it as well. they tried, but learning from a 720p tutorial with heavy russian accent is just too hard nowadays, when the user knows he can pop into free blender, and on youtube, blender guru show you how to model a donut in a very simple way. the avarage user need this more far more then he needs super advanced voxel high res painting tools. (they are cool tho, dont get me wrong). 

yes 3dcoat have a monster engine under the hood which put blender to shame in that area, but how does it help if the average person cant have enough momentum with the program in order to adopt it,  because if the reasons mentioned above. 

I was modeling with lightwave,xsi,maya,3dsmax,modo and a little blender in the past 17 years. i have a good grasp of what is a fluid workflow.  Again - if you want my constant help to design new UX i would love to do so. 

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/14/2023 at 9:50 AM, Just a user said:

Well, let me start of by saying you guys are one of the most talented developers in the entire 3D software space by my opinion, and you are working hard for sure..

The goal of this post is to give my honest opinion - a client that actually want you to be an alternative the entire modeling uv and painting process. (right now i have to use maya for modeling and substance for painting and i would LOVE to use 3dcoat for it instead).

3dcoat does provide many "9\10" tools in on package. no other modeling software packed so much good algorithms in one product. but also, its one of the worse UX and buggy tools in the market . 

And tbh the price for the upgrade is very good.no complain about it. i actually think its kind of cheap for the tools you are getting.
i was posting before about modeling room problems in depth, and all my modeling issues can be found here:

The reason i don't upgrade is the UX and bugs. i can go in much more depth, and offer the team my help in that area, but this is my summery

1.  in addition to my modelling suggestions above, i strongly believe that sculpt, retopo, modeling and uv should be combined into one space. you  need to rethink how people are interacting with the tools you already made. 

2. you can takes modo's modeling as reference. its still the best out there in sub-d. 3d coat modelling should be fluid like it (or like maya's). for example, why u need a select tool if u are already in modeling room ? why u need an entire tool to select a path? why no fast way to snap a pivot to vertex? etc.. many small things that make the UX bad. i was expecting one smart tool that is context sensitive, like XSI magnet for example, or maya's slide tool etc. if you already have an entire room just for that, you tools should be super efficient and fluid, not split to so many different ones. 

3. modeling and sculpting should communicate fluidly. no separated rooms. find a way to redesign the software that it give the user all modeling and sculpting tools in one space. with one layering system. all this importing between rooms is just a mess in my personal opinion. u can have a layer tree with colors, green for sub-d and white for voxels for examples, and they communicate in same room. You pick a tool, if that tool can logically use on both types of surfaces it will. i made that up right now in 3 sec. u can think it better solutions in meetings together. but 2 different rooms must be the worse options in 2023 workflows ..

3. redesign the UI for smart materials. right now its very unreadable, not pleasant to use. so much text and lines in small space. please look at competitors and rethink this.

4. please add the option to mix smart materials and then save them as a new one. its the only reason for me to pay for substance right now and not using 3dc. smart material is good. but if i cant break their structure in order to make custom ones its not really helpful in a big project like a game when u want to create your own libraries of special stuff. (you already told me 2 times on fb its not possible right now)

5. please hire a proper instructor and make professional tutorial series about everything, the software is very powerful, but also UX is bad. bad ux with few learning materials = less users = less income = we all lose 

5) There is more than a few (tutorials). There are HUNDREDS on the 3DCoat Youtube Channel, and they are placed in the appropriate playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/@PILGWAY3DCoat/playlists

Anton Tenitsky's Youtube Channel is also a great place to look and he has a number of series (including some paid tutorial series), covering the basics as well as more advanced projects, using a wide assortment of tools in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/@AntonTenitsky

https://www.youtube.com/@AntonTenitsky/playlists

https://tenitsky.gumroad.com/

Industry Tuts also has a lot of good 3DCoat content as well:

https://www.youtube.com/@industrytuts5272/videos

LearnSquared has a number of 3DCoat related courses, taught by industry artists such as Jama Jurabaev (Concept Artist and Art Director at Lucas Films)

https://www.learnsquared.com/courses/intro-3dconcept

https://www.learnsquared.com/courses/armada-concept-art

https://www.learnsquared.com/courses/creature-design

On the 3DCoat Facebook page, there are tutorials posted there on a regular basis.

https://www.facebook.com/3DCoat

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
28 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

5) There is more than a few (tutorials). There are HUNDREDS on the 3DCoat Youtube Channel...

I've probably seen them all and most are either very basic, outdated or not what you are looking for, or starts like what you are looking for but gets you even more confused. I've been seeing videos from more than 10 years ago even. 

Past few days I've been trying to figure out how to handle a finished mesh in other rooms, or import meshes to do stuff. For now I'm extremely confused.

Even Blender is easier to understand when it comes to that.

The only possibly useful and extensive recent course that I found is on skillshare. Havent seen it yet cause its way too long :D

I'm thinking of creating a thread and make Carlos teach me asking questions :D

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
40 minutes ago, Koray said:

I've probably seen them all and most are either very basic, outdated or not what you are looking for, or starts like what you are looking for but gets you even more confused. I've been seeing videos from more than 10 years ago even. 

Past few days I've been trying to figure out how to handle a finished mesh in other rooms, or import meshes to do stuff. For now I'm extremely confused.

Even Blender is easier to understand when it comes to that.

The only possibly useful and extensive recent course that I found is on skillshare. Havent seen it yet cause its way too long :D

I'm thinking of creating a thread and make Carlos teach me asking questions :D

This video series covers a lot of the traditional processes, even though it is aimed at Blender users, trying to get a low poly asset from Blender to 3DCoat > Sculpt > Reuse the original mesh for Retopo/Baking purposes > Setup UVs > Baking > Paint in Paint workspace > Export back to Blender, ready to render. Also, regarding comments comparing 3DCoat tutorials to Blender's, remember that many of the tutorial series you see regarding Blender are from 3rd party resources...this includes Andrew Price's. Even Zbrush's tutorials are largely made by 3rd party sources. There are some good 3rd party resources for 3DCoat also. It may take some Google/Youtube searching to find the ones you are looking for. 

• Thanks 1

@Koray do not try to learn all the rooms at the same time. Just focus on the part of the program useful for you. 3DC is several applications in one, which are not working together as a whole.

@AbnRanger a valid point:   

22 hours ago, phoenixart said:

...what's missing is one single tutorial that can explain new users how to tackle one basic project, from start to finish...

Let me add an example: new loop multiresolution > new feature but no videos or tuts.

With every new feature release, will be great to release 2 video topics

- One focused in the tool, values, commands (technical view)
- and other showing workflows and walkthrough about how this new paradigm is used in a common task, classic to found on other apps (artistic view)

everyone know high to lowpoly multiresolution workflow using CatmullClark subdivision.

high to lowpoly multiresolution using Loop subdivisions is different, it would be good to show the pros and cons for users who need to compare different procedures.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I recall the first day I installed 3DCoat and started the getting started tutorials posted on the website. I was super frustrated that the first hour of video was somebody explaining to me how to customize my UI or explaining things an absolutely new user wouldn't care for at all. Why would I want to customize a UI I haven't even seen or used at all yet.

I still can't find a good video that properly describes the various layer features when sculpting, in depth, I've been piecing things together from Anton's videos and various other relics on youtube. You really need a good getting started guide, properly planned out that describes voxel/surface sculpting features, how to use layers, and how to take your model from sculpt -> retopo -> UV -> baking/painting/exporting, without spending one hour blabbing about how I can reset the UI or move toolbars around. I'll care about UI customization after I've used the application enough to want to make it "my own".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, I'll watch these now, though they seem fairly outdated. Perhaps the team should have a look at https://3dcoat.com/tutorials/category/quick-start/

This was the first place I went to, hoping to get a concise look at what 3DCoat is about and how it works. Now, if I hadn't clicked "Quick Start", and instead scrolled past the "Alien Leech" tutorial that is at the top of the learn section for some reason, I would have seen the series you just posted and perhaps had a better introduction...

Edited by Hastouki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
22 minutes ago, Hastouki said:

Thank you, I'll watch these now, though they seem fairly outdated. Perhaps the team should have a look at https://3dcoat.com/tutorials/category/quick-start/

This was the first place I went to, hoping to get a concise look at what 3DCoat is about and how it works. Now, if I hadn't clicked "Quick Start", and instead scrolled past the "Alien Leech" tutorial that is at the top of the learn section for some reason, I would have seen the series you just posted and perhaps had a better introduction...

First of all, as a new user in ANY application, you need to know how to "crawl before you walk." Diving into "Sculpt Layers" won't help any if you don't know how to get around in the UI. Secondly, there are hundreds of tutorials on the Youtube Channel, and you can more easily find what you are looking for by either clicking on the PLAYLISTS tab or doing a search on the Channel (there is a little search icon to the right of the tabs that are right under the Channel Name). Here is just a sample of some of the Quick Start videos that help make sense out of Voxels and Surface mode:

• Reputable Contributor

This is a series mainly for Blender users, but it goes through a typical workflow of importing a low polygon model into 3DCoat from another application > sculpting > UV editing > baking > Minor texture painting w/ Smart Materials > export back to main 3D application

• Like 1

I've clicked through most of these over the past 2 weeks that I've been evaluating 3DCoat. Re-read what I wrote, its in regards to quick start, and given that your website has a LEARN section and a QUICK START section, perhaps rethink what I wrote.

Fundamental features, such as LAYERS are not RUNNING, they are fundamental features. Explanations on voxels/surface isn't running, its fundamental. As a software developer for of 25 years, I'm also well aware of what UX, application design and documentation should look like. I'm just suggesting this as a fresh new user to your application who wanted to pull his hair out a little in the first couple of days.

Edited by Hastouki
  • Like 3

• Reputable Contributor
6 minutes ago, Hastouki said:

I've clicked through most of these over the past 2 weeks that I've been evaluating 3DCoat. Re-read what I wrote, its in regards to quick start, and given that your website has a LEARN section and a QUICK START section, perhaps rethink what I wrote.

Fundamental features, such as LAYERS are not RUNNING, they are fundamental features. Explanations on voxels/surface isn't running, its fundamental. As a software developer for of 25 years, I'm also well aware of what UX, application design and documentation should look like. I'm just suggesting this as a fresh new user to your application who wanted to pull his hair out a little in the first couple of days.

I understand that these features are fundamental, but again, seeing a video that covers the UI layout and mentions how to make the UI fit your preferences is also fundamental. It also mentions customization for the sake of those who are critical of the UI. It is very customizable and that is a very important topic for new users.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Hastouki said:

Welcome to the world of 3DC :D But hey you can now choose cold/hot/grey theme for tools icons or make a tree with leaves :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Personally I can't wait to renew my 3D Coat license for another year!  I think all the work that Andrew and Co. have put into the latest updates have more than justified the extremely reasonable renewal fee and while there are some outstanding bugs & issues when you consider the huge amount of new features and improvements it's completely unrealistic to expect that much advancement without a few teething problems.  You only have to compare the list of new features and improvements for 3D Coat in the last year to any other 3D app (even those with a much larger group of developers working on them) to see that you're getting your moneys worth when renewing your license!

Sadly it looks like I'm going to have to wait a little while longer due to the fact that the upgrade option on the store page currently isn't working for me! :wacko:

However I'm sitting here with a fist full of €€€ eagerly waiting for Pilgway to...

image.gif.28806ff92a8aec14645a55ad91ca2f08.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/15/2023 at 2:55 AM, Oleg_Shapo said:

As far as I remember, all the errors from your post have been fixed -

I was reading the @Just a user suggestions in that post. But @Oleg_Shapo "all the errors from your post have been fixed" that is false. He enumerated 9 points. Can you share with us, what of these 9 points were implemented? I know that developers are working hard to fix bugs, so I appreciate that too much.

All the fanboys can suck my... you know what. No seriously the new pricing is just intolerable. Alone 60 € price increase for the individual version is insufferable. What do you devs think who you are. It's not that your little piece of software is so good that it's used in the industry even after 20 years or so it still remains in its niche. 3DCoat stands especially for one thing: BUGS. Your software is so buggy it almost cruises around on the beach. It's still not polished, it's still cumbersome and not predictable in many areas. It breaks all the time for no apparant reason. Bugs that used to be fixed come back in later revisions. AND SO ON. Now with competetion of Blender there is even less arguments to use 3DC. It was nice when it was a little gem used by a few hobbyists. Now it gives the IMPRESSION that it's a professional software but it's far from that. I for myself can definitely say that I will sail the seas regarding 3DC. F* you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen the development thread and i see a lot of effort on the bug fixing, and less on nee features - i think this is great.  

In my opinion prioritizing bug fixing is a step in the right direction. personally if this continue and 3Dcoat become more stable i might upgrade this year again, after ill see its more bout fixing.  because i know other things like restructure the UX takes much more work and need support from the users. 

Edited by Just a user
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 1/14/2023 at 9:50 AM, Just a user said:

Well, let me start of by saying you guys are one of the most talented developers in the entire 3D software space by my opinion, and you are working hard for sure..

The goal of this post is to give my honest opinion - a client that actually want you to be an alternative the entire modeling uv and painting process. (right now i have to use maya for modeling and substance for painting and i would LOVE to use 3dcoat for it instead).

3dcoat does provide many "9\10" tools in on package. no other modeling software packed so much good algorithms in one product. but also, its one of the worse UX and buggy tools in the market . 

And tbh the price for the upgrade is very good.no complain about it. i actually think its kind of cheap for the tools you are getting.
i was posting before about modeling room problems in depth, and all my modeling issues can be found here:

The reason i don't upgrade is the UX and bugs. i can go in much more depth, and offer the team my help in that area, but this is my summery

1.  in addition to my modelling suggestions above, i strongly believe that sculpt, retopo, modeling and uv should be combined into one space. you  need to rethink how people are interacting with the tools you already made. 

2. you can takes modo's modeling as reference. its still the best out there in sub-d. 3d coat modelling should be fluid like it (or like maya's). for example, why u need a select tool if u are already in modeling room ? why u need an entire tool to select a path? why no fast way to snap a pivot to vertex? etc.. many small things that make the UX bad. i was expecting one smart tool that is context sensitive, like XSI magnet for example, or maya's slide tool etc. if you already have an entire room just for that, you tools should be super efficient and fluid, not split to so many different ones. 

3. modeling and sculpting should communicate fluidly. no separated rooms. find a way to redesign the software that it give the user all modeling and sculpting tools in one space. with one layering system. all this importing between rooms is just a mess in my personal opinion. u can have a layer tree with colors, green for sub-d and white for voxels for examples, and they communicate in same room. You pick a tool, if that tool can logically use on both types of surfaces it will. i made that up right now in 3 sec. u can think it better solutions in meetings together. but 2 different rooms must be the worse options in 2023 workflows ..

3. redesign the UI for smart materials. right now its very unreadable, not pleasant to use. so much text and lines in small space. please look at competitors and rethink this.

4. please add the option to mix smart materials and then save them as a new one. its the only reason for me to pay for substance right now and not using 3dc. smart material is good. but if i cant break their structure in order to make custom ones its not really helpful in a big project like a game when u want to create your own libraries of special stuff. (you already told me 2 times on fb its not possible right now)

5. please hire a proper instructor and make professional tutorial series about everything, the software is very powerful, but also UX is bad. bad ux with few learning materials = less users = less income = we all lose 

6. bugs. i just cant trust the software to run under stressful use across all tools. every new release introduces new bugs. please stop making new features and fix most bugs ... its more important to have a relatively stable app that is reliable then have a software with a little more features.

7. please add a public development roadmap. I cant be your client if i don't know where does the development navigate of the tool i relay on

i think those are the main problems in 3dc. and for me the reasons why i can't upgrade.  the UX and the lack of fluidity in = all rooms, the bugs across the platform.
Please change the rooms mindset, its an old approach to do things. it makes sense if the usage is very different like paint and model rooms. but model retopo and sculpt can be combine into one room if rethinking layers and presentation to user.

With that said, i think you guys are amazing hard working team, and hope you take those suggestions as constructive ones. if i would not care, i simply go Zbrush and not post. but i do care so i decided to post that one. 

Hope i could upgrade 3dc in the future. right now i use the aug2022 version which is my last paid upgrade, i only use it for sculpt. 

EXACTLY!