3DCoat Forums

Retopo room - select single vertex broken

In the retopo room, using Select and Vertex mode fails to select a single vertex, it detects it (shows in the status bar) but on click it isn't selected (edge selection works exactly as suspected so its something to do with vertex mdoe). I suspect its the weird directional vertex selection thing as if I drag a direction it will select a bunch of vertices. Why its using that thing in vertex select thing at all, I don't know.

Not having a good day with 3dcoat, auto-topo doesn't handle this mesh so having to use manual retop which has crashed several time with only a few polygons in and now found vertex select is broken.

I'm still amused that the 10+ year bug relating to symmetry planes not always appearing until a restart still exists. That bug will legal to buy a beer soon! 

On 1/14/2023 at 5:31 PM, Oleg_Shapo said:

Please tell me what kind of error are you talking about?

Symmetry planes don't appear at various random times and have for a least a decade (its almost a meme for 3dcoat users from the past). You have to restart and then the symmetry plane becomes visible. Every few years I come back to 3dcoat and almost laugh that it still happens :) (it still happens)

On 1/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

Please select one of the circled modes on the e-panel and select one vertex.

But why doesn't it work on the normal select, that works for edges and faces? I literally click on it, you show the UI (yellow square) and then just don't bother to select it, its a perverse bit of UI. I don't need a separate mode, its literally how vertex select has worked since 8 bit 3d programs with these new fangled mouse things!

11 minutes ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

The Paint mode in the Select tool options will allow you to select each point separately.

Its still doesn't explain why you have all the extra steps for vertex but not for edge and faces. Its called select tool, I select a vertex it doesn't select. Same tool in edge mode, selects an edge, same tool in face mode selects a face.

Its not a big thing, its just an example of the UI/UX issues in general. 

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Deano C said:

Its still doesn't explain why you have all the extra steps for vertex but not for edge and faces. Its called select tool, I select a vertex it doesn't select. Same tool in edge mode, selects an edge, same tool in face mode selects a face.

Its not a big thing, its just an example of the UI/UX issues in general. 

I raised the same issue with the developer of the Retopo tools, and this was a curve ball for all of us, because it is part of the Soft Selection feature that was just added to the latest builds. I asked him to make a checkbox enabling or disabling Soft Selection, because it would otherwise confuse everyone.

• Like 1