3DCoat Forums

How do I solidify a surface from modeling room?

NLPLP

Question

7 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, NLPLP said:

I was thinking something along the lines of the solidify modifier in Blender.

Try the Shell tool.

First select the faces you want to "solidify" then activate the Shell tool...

image.jpeg.08b568a08c6953ae44c46d86de5cee46.jpeg

then use the buttons in the Tool Options window or the arrow gizmo to set the amount of extrusion...

image.jpeg.12203acf70cee66f2fa4ecc2f4a3dd0d.jpeg

4 hours ago, NLPLP said:

Also there's no smart extrude on the latest build.....maybe it was taken out?

Which version are you using?  I have 2022.57 and the Smart Extrude tool is available in both the Modeling and Retop rooms.

Edited by Fluffy
typo
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
10 minutes ago, NLPLP said:

Thanks Fluffy thats what I wanted.

Its weird though Smart extrude is not in my toolset or the right click menu when I have an active edge selection

Yes Im running the trial version of 2022.57

For me it's located in the Add Geometry panel in both rooms (but you should also be able to find the Smart Extrude tool in the Tools Palette in either room by pressing spacebar or opening it via the Windows>Panels menu).  It may be that it's just not immediately visible in the left panel since some tools are grouped together differently in different rooms.

In the Modeling room the Smart Extrude tool is grouped with the Spine Tool and InSet tools, while in the Retopo room it's grouped with the other extrusion tools (Free Extrude, Normal Extrude, Extrude Faces & Extrude Vertices)...

image.thumb.jpeg.ad0f45e214352d09616d5d1e84988830.jpeg

If you don't see it displayed in the left panel then try looking for one of the other tools in the same group and hovering your mouse over it.

If you still can't find it try right-clicking any of the tools in that section and selecting the Show All Tools in Section option just in case it's gotten hidden somehow.

image.jpeg.e33be0104cb4a89be7e141b5a96dc033.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Oleg

I know of the extrude tools, but they all leave the mesh hollow on the backside, so I cant sculpt a surface...(at least not without doing a bunch of more modeling to make the whole mesh watertight)

I was thinking something along the lines of the solidify modifier in Blender.

Also there's no smart extrude on the latest build.....maybe it was taken out?

9 hours ago, Fluffy said:

Try the Shell tool.

First select the faces you want to "solidify" then activate the Shell tool...

image.jpeg.08b568a08c6953ae44c46d86de5cee46.jpeg

then use the buttons in the Tool Options window or the arrow gizmo to set the amount of extrusion...

image.jpeg.12203acf70cee66f2fa4ecc2f4a3dd0d.jpeg

Which version are you using?  I have 2022.57 and the Smart Extrude tool is available in both the Modeling and Retop rooms.

Thanks Fluffy thats what I wanted.

Its weird though Smart extrude is not in my toolset or the right click menu when I have an active edge selection

Yes Im running the trial version of 2022.57

3 hours ago, Fluffy said:

For me it's located in the Add Geometry panel in both rooms (but you should also be able to find the Smart Extrude tool in the Tools Palette in either room by pressing spacebar or opening it via the Windows>Panels menu).  It may be that it's just not immediately visible in the left panel since some tools are grouped together differently in different rooms.

In the Modeling room the Smart Extrude tool is grouped with the Spine Tool and InSet tools, while in the Retopo room it's grouped with the other extrusion tools (Free Extrude, Normal Extrude, Extrude Faces & Extrude Vertices)...

image.thumb.jpeg.ad0f45e214352d09616d5d1e84988830.jpeg

If you don't see it displayed in the left panel then try looking for one of the other tools in the same group and hovering your mouse over it.

If you still can't find it try right-clicking any of the tools in that section and selecting the Show All Tools in Section option just in case it's gotten hidden somehow.

image.jpeg.e33be0104cb4a89be7e141b5a96dc033.jpeg

Cool that worked!

Thanks for everything

• Like 1