3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink installation walkthrough | Ctc_nick

Ctc_nick

• Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Ctc_nick was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 2 points.

Hi. This is a short summary to get Applink working for Blender. 

If you have a brand new 3dCoat version, (compare the date and) copy COATs Applink from:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Program Files\3DCoat-2023\data\ToolsPresets\InstallAppLinks\Blender\files

----------(please modify the this path for yourself, example look for "3dCoat-2024", as copy and paste would not work in this case)

to your Blender Folder: ..\blender\(version)\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\. For installed Blender versions this is in the Roaming folder.

The versions shipped with 3DCoat are likely newer -->new features. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Right now April 2024, there is no need for the forked version.

2. There are a lot of folders for Applink. I try to clarify the dependencies in the Image. The most important file/folders seem to be 

->'documents\3DC2Blender\exchange_folder.txt'

->'documents\Applinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\' 

3dcoat_Applink_folders.thumb.jpg.f380f57b8de39fb63acacbff58f2baff.jpg

Look If you have the same or similar folders. If Applink is not working, then one of the files is maybe pointing to wrong or outdated direction.

3. Open Blender and make sure 3DC Plugin is enabled. Then look on the right for scene properties. There you can set the exchange Folder, which should be:

C:\Users\'Username'\Documents\Applinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\. The other 'Object/Texture' Field can be left empty.

coat2.thumb.jpg.c82ea09b266837547b3de6cf5ef22e06.jpg

4. Open 3DCoat, we take Modelling Room.

5. Back in Blender select the fancy Cube. In the 3D View 'Applink Window' select 'Retopo mesh as new layer' and Send.

6. In 3D Coat you should now see the placement arrow. Scale it Up or Down to see if something arrived in Coat and hit Apply. There should now be a new layer named '__something'.

scale.thumb.jpg.3fc8328f526a680ae35c3b1492d9bc03.jpg

7. If you get so far then there should be 'Export to Blender' under File. If 3DCoat asks for a filename it is working. The Folder should already be 'ApplinkObjects'.

8. Choose Name and use fbx format.

9. In Blender hit 'GetBack' from Retopo

This should be it for now. I hope it works!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Export to Blender missing?

Have a look:

Check my 3Dcoat Script for this: Blender_Export_to_Button.as

or install it as 3dcpack:

Blender_Export_to_Button.3dcpack 

Then 'run script' from Menu in \Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\Scripts. 

Its function is displayed in the linked post, it makes the missing folders and files. 

I've tested it sucessfully.

Edited just now by Ctc_nick

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

• 6 months later...
  • Contributor

1/1 Import/Export Scale Applink

-------------------------------------------------------

I examined the Blender Applink to work with the Modelling/Retopo and Sculptroom. Under some circumstances it does speed up the workflow, when you iterate a lot between the 2 Programs. Its nice and more precise not to have to scale up every object send to 3dcoat. Otherwise I would just say blender works with meters, and 3dcoat works best with millimeters as native unit. 

1. If you have a newer 3dCoat, copy the new Applink Version from: C:\Program Files\3DCoat2023\data\ToolsPresets\InstallAppLinks\Blender\files

to your Blender Folder: ..\blender\(version)\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\. For installed Blender versions this is in the Roaming folder.

2.The File:  ..\blender\(version)\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\__init__.py, only 2 Values have to be set, blenders export and import scale:

depending on what you have set in the 'fbx Export Settings'  in 3DCoat:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work in Millimeters:

In Line 741 set Scale to 10                                                                    (bpy.ops.export settings; this sets blenders fbx export scale 1:1 to 3DCoat)

(in new Applink 4.9.34 2023, this is line 783)

In Line 1166 set Scale to 1 for mm, 0.01 for cm, or 0.001 for meters (bpy.ops.import_scene; this sets Blenders fbx import scale from 3dCoat)

(in new Applink 4.9.34 2023, this is line 1208)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work in Meters: (if Measuring Tool also set to Meters)

Line   741: Global Scale 0.01  (in new Applink 4.9.34 2023, this is line 783)

Line 1166: Global Scale  1      (in new Applink 4.9.34 2023, this is line 1208)

->Reload the Blender Plugin (untick and tick is enough)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sculptroom for default units: Blender Meter /  3Dcoat mm (a.e. make a box with 30mm= 0.030m gives a box in coat with 30mm and vice versa)

Always check 'import without voxilation', if you do not want a 2 meter cube filled with native-size voxels.

Before Export to 3DCoat use 'apply Scale' to (1,1,1)

1to1vox.thumb.png.2b9ea6e37d88fbb89c66eb0afff45b7a.png

Please note when you export from other rooms that the second line applies globally. I'll check that some other time.

If you need a differend setup you can always copy back the original files.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ctc_nick
more detailed instructions
  • Thanks 3

• Advanced Member

I thought to add a bit of info I posted over at the Blender Artists forum:

I found this in my personal 3DC notes. Maybe it's of use:

─ Also see the attached screenshot compilation. ─ 

Use the 3DCoat Applink to exchange between 3DC and Blender:

There's a version that ships with Blender and a fork by Mifth:

https://github.com/mifth/mifthtools/tree/master/blender/addons/2.8/io_simple_3dcoat

To match Blender's meter scale, change the Preferences ➔ Viewport ➔ Fixed Scene Scale to 100, and set MeasureUnits to Meters. Beware though: this can cause very dense primitives in 3D Coat.

Press Export in Blender to send the mesh to 3D Coat.

Once you've worked on the model in 3D Coat, choose File ➔ Bring Voxels Back To App, then in Blender press Import.

Alternatively, you can use File ➔ Export Voxel Mesh To ➔ Blender.

There's also a Blender Artists thread dedicated to the 3D-Coat App Link:

https://blenderartists.org/t/3d-coat-applink-for-blender-2-8/1117068

unnamed.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/25/2023 at 7:18 AM, Ctc_nick said:

Hello.

To anyone who is missing the 'Export to: Blender' Button in 3DCoat 2023

For it to work you need to have a folder called 'Blender' in the Exchange folder. I had to setup Applink manually because of the portable Blender Versions. 

Have a nice day!

Export_to.thumb.png.b81a4bff46d3db674fb48966a9760f21.png

Bake: is an empty folder

extension.txt:  contains three letters 'fbx' without the quotes

preset.txt: contains 'Blender Cycles' without the quotes

run.txt and texture.txt are both empty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have created a Script which makes the Files from 3d Coat Menu:Blender_Export_to_Button.as

Or install as 3dcpackBlender_Export_to_Button.3dcpack

Then 'run script' from Menu in \Documents\3DCoat\UserPrefs\Scripts. 

which contains this:

//by Ctc_nick 2023

void main(){
    string userFolder = homePath();    
    ModalDialog( "This Script creates the Folders which are needed for the Menu Option: Export to Blender.","Info");
    File  template(userFolder+"/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/Blender/bake/temp.txt" );
    template = "";
    template.remove();    
    File a( userFolder+"/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/Blender/extension.txt" );
    a = "fbx";    
    File b( userFolder+"/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/Blender/preset.txt" );
    b = "Blender Cycles";
    File c( userFolder+"/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/Blender/run.txt" );
    c = "";
    File d( userFolder+"/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/Blender/textures.txt" );
    d = "";    
    ModalDialog("Files and Folders created: "+ userFolder+"/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange/Blender. Please restart 3Dcoat now.","Please restart");
}

On 5/28/2022 at 1:37 PM, wendallhitherd said:

Hello! I was asked to mirror the process I found for un-borking my 3DCoat applink. Hopefully someone will find this helpful! Original post found here: 

From the jump:
"""

Hey there! I just finally got the applink to work, after a whole bunch of struggling. The main issue is that old versions of 3dcoat interfere with new ones. The secret is: 

- Delete every applink related folder out of my docs. both the app link and 3DC seems to write text files which contain path strings -- if any of these files contain a reference to an old directory either 3DC or blender will automatically recreate that old folder. In my case, every time I would launch Blender a "3DCoatV4" folder would be spawned

- Deleting every applink folder includes, in my case:
C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DC2Blender
C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DCoat-2021\Exchange (I renamed 3dcoat-2021 to 3dcoat-2021_old)
C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange

- Open 3DCoat and close it. This will respawn the 3DC exchange folder. (C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange)

- Open Blender and plug in the freshly spawned exchange folder to Blender plugin exchange path. I was able to leave the object / texture empty

- Send a Voxel object to 3DC. This will spawn C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DC2Blender folder.

- In 3DC, autopo, automap, and use "export to -> blender". As far as I can tell this will cause 3DC to spawn the C:\Users\16042\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\Blender folder. Choose any fbx name you want.

- Export preset should be either Blender Cycles or BlenderAppLink. I used BlenderAppLink

- Back in Blender, click the "GetBack" button. This will spawn the object exported from 3DC and hook up the PBR shader!

2022-05-27 18_18_02-Alarms & Clock.jpg

2022-05-27 18_18_34-Blender.jpg

As a side note I think the applink code on the blender side is hardcoded to spawn 3D-CoatV4 folder, as it keeps popping up after I delete it when I use "get back" out of blender. Luckily it doesn't seem to interfere with anything so long as the initial setup is clean.

"""