3DCoat Forums

Making Training Videos to share...

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

While I am certainly looking forward to Javis' (Geothefaust) upcoming 3DC training webcast and DVD, I'd like to encourage/ask others here who have a decent grasp of the program, or certain aspects of it...and feel they can contribute, to consider helping others (especially those who have downloaded the demo and feeling/trying 3DC out) get up to speed quickly in 3DC by recording some of their own video tutorials. FWIW, I'm still trying to get comfortable with it myself, and will try to pitch in as soon as I can...

It can be workflow tips...especially in reference to your host application (Lightwave, 3ds Max, Maya, XSI, C4D, Modo, etc.), explanations of the UI and different rooms/modes, pros and cons of each mode, etc. The competition has plenty of training materials, and if this community pitches in and works together in this effort, the only glaring weakness of 3DC (training) can quickly become a strength and asset.

This will help the program thrive and the more it does, the more manpower Andrew can commit to keeping up this phenominal pace of development and squashing bugs. I can only imagine what v4 will bring! Let's do what we can to expedite that and help the community grow. :good:

If you are on a PC, here is the link to Windows Media Encoder (free), and then a brief video tutorial on how to use it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...PqHywb7sg%3d%3d

I can only imagine what v4 will bring! [/url]

Calm down im just getting to grips with V3 :yahoo:

I'll post in 2 weeks (",) just out of interest ,is there a recorded version of above mentioned video , missed it last night .

• Advanced Member

Here is a free screen/voice recording application. It has been a while since it has been updated so if it acts weird dont ask me.

www.camstudio.com

Here is the overpriced but awesome commercial version.

www.camtasia.com

You can also use jing for very shot tutorials or quick explanations. Its not suited for longer high quality video's but for short 5-10 minute stuff its awesome.

http://www.jingproject.com/

Use a free video hosting service like www.vimeo.com (youtube is blocked in many countries and veoh requires plugins nowadays)

I personally use divx to encode my video's (free) and the lame mp3 codec for sound (free). Screen resolution of 800x600, 15fps and 44khz mono 16bit sound.

-------

When you create your video's try to use a nice model you've made. Remember your creating the video for artists; they like nice stuff on screen even when you explain something technical. Also try create a plan of what topics you are going to discuss. Even for the simple stuff i usually write down a few things in a specific order so i dont forget too much.

good luck

3dioot

While I love Jing I really wish it had options to upload elsewhere or save a non FLV video. I keep running out of bandwidth on their server. I know I can pay for Jing Pro, but right now I can't afford anything non-essential.

I just heard about another free option on a tech TV show, called BBFlashback Express. I haven't personally tried it though.

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/

While I love Jing I really wish it had options to upload elsewhere or save a non FLV video. I keep running out of bandwidth on their server. I know I can pay for Jing Pro, but right now I can't afford anything non-essential.

I just heard about another free option on a tech TV show, called BBFlashback Express. I haven't personally tried it though.

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/

You can save your file to a folder in Jing. It's in the settings options. Then you can upload the SWF file anywhere. I did it for my Meesiah bvh tutorial:

http://digitalartistguild.com/MessiahTutorials.html

Those are all Jing files...

While I am certainly looking forward to Javis' (Geothefaust) upcoming 3DC training webcast and DVD, I'd like to encourage/ask others here who have a decent grasp of the program, or certain aspects of it...and feel they can contribute, to consider helping others (especially those who have downloaded the demo and feeling/trying 3DC out) get up to speed quickly in 3DC by recording some of their own video tutorials. FWIW, I'm still trying to get comfortable with it myself, and will try to pitch in as soon as I can...

It can be workflow tips...especially in reference to your host application (Lightwave, 3ds Max, Maya, XSI, C4D, Modo, etc.), explanations of the UI and different rooms/modes, pros and cons of each mode, etc. The competition has plenty of training materials, and if this community pitches in and works together in this effort, the only glaring weakness of 3DC (training) can quickly become a strength and asset.

This will help the program thrive and the more it does, the more manpower Andrew can commit to keeping up this phenominal pace of development and squashing bugs. I can only imagine what v4 will bring! Let's do what we can to expedite that and help the community grow. :good:

If you are on a PC, here is the link to Windows Media Encoder (free), and then a brief video tutorial on how to use it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...PqHywb7sg%3d%3d

Your wish is my command :)

first couple of parts, though the youtube quality is aweful, the original is great :)

John

• Contributor
Your wish is my command :)

first couple of parts, though the youtube quality is aweful, the original is great :)

John

They are progressing nicely, John. I should mention that you can delete points created with Points & Faces tool by hover to select and then use the Delete key. :clapping:

BTW I mentioned earlier a program called BB Flashback for recording screen videos. After trying it and looking into it more I found that you can't record audio with the free version. I used it to make this little

. I don't have a mic on my computer anyway so I recorded the video, then wrote up a little script and read the voice over into my iPhone voice recorder and emailed the audio files to myself to be added to the video.

• 9 months later...

There is no problem to record somthing, today. Much more interesting is the ability to edit the recorded data.

Do someone know a good free or cheap video editor? I know Movie Maker from MS, but it is not possible to paste images into the videos there. For example to paste a logo over or similar.

Best wishes

Chris