3DCoat Forums

Paint Room bug hunt - report it here

Hi 

In different social networks there are references to bug's in paint room that are unresolved.
To make the search and solution more effective, please add here all the bugs you find in paint room.

It would help a lot if you add this information:

What is the problem?
OS
Steps to reproduce a Bug
Expected Result
Actual Result
Visual Proof (screenshots, videos, text) of Bug
Software version

• Carlosan changed the title to Paint Room bug hunt - report it here
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Advanced Member

@CarlosanHey, I know you have responded to this before, but the baking displacement is still giving poor results. Hardened normals result when baking.

Steps:

1. From Startup menu choose Bust. Merge sub-tree so it is one voxel mesh. Turn on symmetry x axis. Autopo mesh. In retopo room unwrap uvs or auto uv. Bake menu choose "Bake w/per pixel painting w/ displacement". Set scan depth settings accordingly. Import Object for perpixel dialog, set to blender, add initial subdiv, keep UV, no smoothing. set texture sizes. Result in paint room is hard edges on normal map in texture editor and on model. These results are both with per pixel w/displacement and flat displacement from bake menu in retopo room. Expected result is a smooth mesh with displacement.

Linux version 2022.55

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 3.700GH

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB

Driver 525.78.01

Screenshot from 2023-01-29 18-50-06.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-29 18-53-11.png

• Advanced Member

Both Images are from "Baking into Scene (microvertex) and Retopo->Microvertex (no baking). All with 1 or 2 subdivisions in dialog. Nothing with PPP. None of the baking options for microvetex are baking correctly from the retopo room.  Meshes should be smooth without these hard normals. This is happening in Windows as well. Forgive my frustration. Since when are these options used for an obscure operation like parallax. Even if it used for something like "Parallax" these results cant be good for that either. This is a workflow of 3DCoat is it not? Baking and painting displacement. It is very misleading to say you can bake displacement but now its used for a parallax workflow. I've used this workflow before without any problems. Can we at least get it working for the other baking options besides PPP? Seems to work as it should for "Industry Tuts" and the official youtube channel. Nowhere does anyone mention "Parallax". I do appreciate everyone on the team and your massive efforts, but from my point of view, it just seems like no one wants to address it. Baking should be one of the pillars of any 3d application. Thanks again for your time Carlosan. I know you are very involved with the community.

Screenshot from 2023-01-31 20-29-19.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-31 20-41-18.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-31 21-15-43.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

solved on version 2022.60,

• The texture baking dialog jumps back to the middle when you toggle an option.
  • If you click ‘settings’ multiple times, it adds a dialog every time, on top of each other.
  • On undo, the OLD circle was suddenly overlayed onto the new circle.
  • Textures->Import UV does not flip the UV
  • Fixed problem of stamp mode and symmetry in paint workspace.
  • Fixed problem of curves and lines strokes w/symmetry in paint workspace.

Andrew Shpagin wrote:
Forgot to announce in 60, but multiple settings fixed there

• Advanced Member

I just discovered a new , first time i see it.
1063570199_Screen2023-02-16163821.thumb.png.6179ac28ebd1238803e31bbca75823b3.png

I was setting a smart material texture, one of my simplest setup: one texture in mask, modulate color, cylindrical projection, nothing more.

To get it applied correctly on my model, I had to scale down many times using the yellow square of the gizmo,

then suddenly, it became inefficient and started displaying only down and right arrows.
I tried to scale it up, but it's too late and doesn't react correctly.

As you can see on the screen, the top arrow has coming back while the left side is still missing.

I had to reset parameters to get it back to normal

I can easily recreate the problem by scaling down multiple times any other material:

445263043_Screen2023-02-16165535.png.9b2436dcfb1de5a7b45558af7c84b8c3.png

Edited by blackant Master
more infos

Not a bug per se, but something that does need fixing.

Keystrokes, and pop-up hints for Glossiness, Roughness, and Metalness are mixed up and have been for a long time (since V4 at least - and still the same in 2023.01

1: Glossiness and Roughness sliders are interconnected (understandably), but the keystroke hint tells us that Roughness uses the "<" & ">" keys -

This is incorrect, "," & "." are the keystrokes used for both glossiness and Roughness . Yet in the keystrokes file they are < & > - and they do work.

2: Additionally, Metalness also shows the hints that "<" & ">" keys are used - when metalness has no keystroke assigned.

3: We are shown in the Windows/Sliders Menu that Glossiness Opacity uses keystrokes ";" & "'" but the ' key is used by the Quick Menu, and the ; key does nothing - there is no slider for the Glossiness Opacity on the brush or channel menu, so why is this shown in the Slider Menu along with these keystrokes? 

The Layers Menu has Gloss Opacity, but no keystrokes assigned. This is not what the Sliders menu is referring to.  The manual says the keys are ; and / (which also do not do anything).

4: The terms used are confused. The Channel controls on the Brush menu bar  menu uses Glossiness Intensity, but describes it as Metalness. Intensity and Degree also seem to be used interchangably.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Software version:2022.60 - 2023.11

"Export Objects & Textures" is out of order.

1,Select "Export Objects & Textures" in "Painting Room".

2,Uncheck "Export Textures".

20230403010218.jpg

3,Specify the save location of the object in "Output mesh" of "Export geometry". (This will close the "Export Textures" option.)

4.Click "Export" to export.

20230403010223.jpg

5,Select "Export Objects & Textures" again to bring up the panel, the "Export Textures" option is closed. Checking the checkbox does not open any options.

20230403010227.jpg

The option cannot be set even if it is checked, but it can be exported. However, existing files will be overwritten. When you open "Export Objects & Textures" again you will see the options.

The same thing happens with "Export geometry".

I have a video on my Twitter.

https://twitter.com/lunarbor/status/1642154523673399297

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sliders in paint room layer system are very slow when I work with 2k or 4k maps. I have i7 6700k and GTX 1070. When I move the slider it performs operations and my fps change to 10 or 11 fps. I think that the event of sliders are bad configured. It needs to perform the operation after the user release their LMB or optimize the performance to get realtime feedback. image.thumb.gif.50633c11c47a38328fbb32a0962e2ebb.gif

Edited by MJonathan
  • Like 1

Other bug or I think that is bug.. In the export textures dialog. I wanted to export my textures in EXR 16bits, but in the options when I choose EXR, I only can see 8bits. 

I reported in other post about the layer masks.

Edited by MJonathan

Hello,

I recently tested 3DCoat Textura Demo (Win10, Huion 950) and I would like to ask about these (not sure if they are all bugs or if I overlooked something) :

1. "Rotate around..." camera navigation - by default it is set to "Last Draw Point", but when I changed it to something else, there is no way to activate it again.

2. "Color Swatches" window - not working properly when undocked and going from "Small" to "Huge" preview is doing nothing. Also - is it possible to rearrange contents of this table?

3. (not bug I presume) - When changing tools, Stroke Mode is stored, but not when the last one - selecting whole faces/polygons - is set. Would be very handy for freezing parts of lowpoly models.

Are these bugs/behaviours present in previous versions? I really like the workflow of this software.

Hi and thank you :)

initially I tested version .09, now i updated to .11 (last possible for Textura).

1. "Rotate around" behaves the same way as in .09

2. "Color Swatches" - preview scale is working, but only when you change it and then tweak the window size, undocked window behaves the same as in .09

3. "Stroke Mode" - when you change it, then it is applied to multiple tools at once. I was aiming for option when Brush tool has "brush" Mode and Freeze tool has "polygon" mode by default.

4. I forgot one more thing - "Expand" and "Contract" Frozen Area is not working.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

The problems with painting and undo are still occuring for me, and it's making me lose a lot of work. I often have to go back to a saved version because undo is just entirely broken! I've submitted a file in the past and it was said the bug was fixed, any idea what's going on? I'm on version 2023.19

• 2 weeks later...

[BUG] Crash on re-entry to Fill Tool after having left it with 'Use w/ other tools' enabled in some contexts

Tested with 2023.22

STEPS

1 Open any low poly UV mapped model project

2 Select Fill Tool

3 Gradient Mode: ON, Spherical Gradient

4 Pattern Type: e.g. Wavy Surface

5 Set 'Use w/ other tools': ON/checked

6 Enable 'Smart Material Preview' to preview the effect

7 Switch to another tool

8 Switch back to Fill Tool

RESULT

Crash, no crash reporter

NOTES

- I /think/ Spherical Gradient is relevant but not sure

- I think having 'Smart Material Preview' open matters...

- Sometimes on re-entry to the Fill Tool, the 'Use w/ other tools' checkbox is no longer checked, and then the crash does not occur

Edited by tiburbage
  • Thanks 1

Try adding one more step: have the Texture Editor open as well, Yes, I know, weird. Try it a few times before concluding there's no crash there. If you still can't repro, lets just figure it is too obscure to keep spending time on.

About 'Use w/ Other Tools' option: once you turn it ON, shouldn't it stay ON? Most of the time when I return to the Fill Tool, say from the Brush Tool, it is back OFF again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just starting out testing 3DCoat Textura 2023.22 and the Text tool seems broken.

Setting it all up looks and works fine.

But when clicking apply, all that appears is a bit of fainted half imprint of what the text should be.

I'd upload a couple images showing it, but can't work out how.

• 4 weeks later...

For the Fill Tool, the Pattern Gloss channels appear to be inverted -- Roughness2 on top of Roughness1. Don't know if they are literally inverted or the labels are just swapped, but assume Roughness1 should be first, then Roughness2.

- Enable the Fill Tool

- Enable Pattern Gloss

See slider channels

Edited by tiburbage

• Advanced Member

2023.27, undo is still broken in the paint room. I'm still losing work.

For software that I bought for one specific purpose (painting!), it's honestly doing my head in that the undo is in such a broken state that after having been told it's been fixed twice (!), I still run into the same issue at least once a painting session.

I've sent files to help reproduce already, other than that there's not much I can say. It happens the most when you've switched layers recently I suppose,  but then I do that every few seconds so it's hard to point to that conclusively.

Edited by Mighty Pea