3DCoat Forums

Import model with textures into sculpt room with texture baked

geo_n

• Advanced Member

This tutorial I always forget how to do. Personal reminder - need to import high poly mesh with texture to keep high res color info into sculpt surface mode.
Btw is this outdated in v2022 and something is better for cleaning up scanned mesh with texture?

I remember @Silas Merlin doing use of Voxel Paint for cleanup

Will be better to ask him directly his workflow

On 7/20/2022 at 7:44 AM, Silas Merlin said:

I have been using volumetric painting to clean up 3d-Scans. In this case, the volumetric paint is not used to bake color to the final lowpoly, it is only used to help with the cleaning up process. In the end the retopo is sent back to the photogrammetry software for retexturing.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

import mesh with texture in paint room. you can also reimport the albedo as displacement to fake detail, because the next step will not take the normal map into account.
go to bake menu and take subdivided mesh to sculpt room. 3d-coat will automatically calculate the number of vertices needed to carry the amount of information in the textures. if that number is above 21 milliion it causes a crash on my machine, so I always lower it to 21 million.
Once in sculpt room you can turn the mesh to voxels.
Before that you proabely delete paint object and imported textures (this won't delete the vertex color which is on layer 1.

If the mesh you are working in is a 3d scan, it is best to keep mesh size and orientation and coordinate system so that you can take your cleaned up mesh back to the photogrammetry software for retexture at the end. (use the volumetric paint only as a reference, not for baking, unless you don't need to output large textures).

that's my advice for what it's worth.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, geo_n said:

Thanks will try it out.
Are your units in 3dcoat in metric meters? And also your photogram software reads the output mesh from 3dcoat correctly with this unit?

I don't know if it matters but here are my settings
image.png.abbd71e81d818831e170b8a9c820cd5c.png
image.png.dc983b52181570f05cbc30ccf2e162a6.png

I don't do the scanning myself, I send the resulting mesh from paint room to the person who does.
There are only two small issues in my experience :
-the person who does the scanning has his software set up to z-up coordinates so I have to remember to set that up every time.

-sometimes my scene loses the z-up coordinates for some unknown reason, so I have to check that the coordinate system is correct after I export.

I get the texture back and fix texturing errors, and paint untextured areas.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

when baking color in 3d-coat there seems to always be loss of data, the result is more blurry than the original. I don't mind, but the person I work with does, so I rarely have the opportunity to do that when working with that person. That is why we retexture in the photogrammetry software.
otherwise there would be two options :
1. bake from vertex paint or volumetric paint
2. bake from an instance of 3d-coat that has the original scan loaded in paint room, and use the Textures>Texture baking tool to bake to the final cleaned up mesh exported to disk.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

I don't know if it matters but here are my settings
image.png.abbd71e81d818831e170b8a9c820cd5c.png
image.png.dc983b52181570f05cbc30ccf2e162a6.png

I don't do the scanning myself, I send the resulting mesh from paint room to the person who does.
There are only two small issues in my experience :
-the person who does the scanning has his software set up to z-up coordinates so I have to remember to set that up every time.

-sometimes my scene loses the z-up coordinates for some unknown reason, so I have to check that the coordinate system is correct after I export.

I get the texture back and fix texturing errors, and paint untextured areas.

21 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

when baking color in 3d-coat there seems to always be loss of data, the result is more blurry than the original. I don't mind, but the person I work with does, so I rarely have the opportunity to do that when working with that person. That is why we retexture in the photogrammetry software.
otherwise there would be two options :
1. bake from vertex paint or volumetric paint
2. bake from an instance of 3d-coat that has the original scan loaded in paint room, and use the Textures>Texture baking tool to bake to the final cleaned up mesh exported to disk.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and screenshot. The axis issue is always a problem. Hehe. Different apps different method.