3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

same... some of the ideas in the feature requests look amazing, and quad topology is finally coming :D cant wait !

and a proper polish tool for hard surface sculpting.. i can see 2023 being amazing... hopefully they raise the price to help with funding etc these guys deserve it

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 1/24/2023 at 9:16 PM, Elemeno said:

just wondering if we will get some teasers as to what is added in the new 2023 version?

also any news when its expected?

In general, the new features you see added in this current cycle, are what will be considered NEW in the 2023 version. That is because everything added after a major release is considered PUBLIC BETA, and the featuresets get refinements/improvements, fixes, etc. A good example of this is the Smart Retopo toolset. A lot of work has gone into improving it, just in the past two builds, and more is currently underway. Once these features are polished, then they are ready for the main release. There will be some more feature additions to be sure, and hopefully the GPU brush engine for the Paint Workspace will be ready for prime time, when 3DC 2023 is released. There are also some UI/UX improvements planned also.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

In general, the new features you see added in this current cycle, are what will be considered NEW in the 2023 version. That is because everything added after a major release is considered PUBLIC BETA, and the featuresets get refinements/improvements, fixes, etc. A good example of this is the Smart Retopo toolset. A lot of work has gone into improving it, just in the past two builds, and more is currently underway. Once these features are polished, then they are ready for the main release. There will be some more feature additions to be sure, and hopefully the GPU brush engine for the Paint Workspace will be ready for prime time, when 3DC 2023 is released. There are also some UI/UX improvements planned also.

awww exciting!

i didnt know if they had smaller updates throughout the year and larger update for each year ,

but im excited for these ui changes... any idea when 2023 will be released?

• Reputable Contributor
18 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

awww exciting!

i didnt know if they had smaller updates throughout the year and larger update for each year ,

but im excited for these ui changes... any idea when 2023 will be released?

My understanding is sometime in the 1st Quarter of this year, but that could possibly change for some unexpected reason. The main objective, feature-wise, is to do what can be done (within reason) to improve the UI between now and then, and the GPU brush engine is also a goal for 2023. I think it is supposed to already be functional, but there are a number of issues the developer has to address before it is stable enough to add in a major release.

Some of us regular contributors have already submitted a list of UI suggestions/requests, but if anyone else wants to add their own ideas/requests, feel free to post them here on the forum. If possible try to show some examples, so we can all show Andrew specifically what we would like to see.

During the V3 beta cycle, the UI was undergoing major changes and some of us provided mockups made in Photoshop, to help show Andrew what we were suggesting. This can help a lot. One can also add links to videos for references...for example, if someone wants layer masks to work a certain way, like they are done in an app like Substance Painter, then please provide a link and time mark in the video where this feature is visible.

However, I should mention that large structural changes...like a complete UI overhaul, or even merging of Paint and Retopo Meshes (a request I have made a few times before), is not a realistic (3DC 2023) feature request, at this point. So, it would be most helpful to request things that can be reasonably accomplished within the next 2-3 months. Also, 3DCoat's UI layout, in general and especially in the Paint Workspace, was designed to be very similar to Photoshop's for the sake of familiarity and shortened learning curve for new users. With that in mind, Andrew will probably not be open to making a major deviation from this overall structure, but there is still much room for improvement within this general PS layout.

One of those is a request I made to him to make the Activity Bar in 3DCoat work like the Panel Bar (inside the main right column) in PS, so it is more familiar to new users and works more efficiently than it currently does.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

My understanding is sometime in the 1st Quarter of this year, but that could possibly change for some unexpected reason. The main objective, feature-wise, is to do what can be done (within reason) to improve the UI between now and then, and the GPU brush engine is also a goal for 2023. I think it is supposed to already be functional, but there are a number of issues the developer has to address before it is stable enough to add in a major release.

Some of us regular contributors have already submitted a list of UI suggestions/requests, but if anyone else wants to add their own ideas/requests, feel free to post them here on the forum. If possible try to show some examples, so we can all show Andrew specifically what we would like to see.

During the V3 beta cycle, the UI was undergoing major changes and some of us provided mockups made in Photoshop, to help show Andrew what we were suggesting. This can help a lot. One can also add links to videos for references...for example, if someone wants layer masks to work a certain way, like they are done in an app like Substance Painter, then please provide a link and time mark in the video where this feature is visible.

However, I should mention that large structural changes...like a complete UI overhaul, or even merging of Paint and Retopo Meshes (a request I have made a few times before), is not a realistic (3DC 2023) feature request, at this point. So, it would be most helpful to request things that can be reasonably accomplished within the next 2-3 months. Also, 3DCoat's UI layout, in general and especially in the Paint Workspace, was designed to be very similar to Photoshop's for the sake of familiarity and shortened learning curve for new users. With that in mind, Andrew will probably not be open to making a major deviation from this overall structure, but there is still much room for improvement within this general PS layout.

One of those is a request I made to him to make the Activity Bar in 3DCoat work like the Panel Bar (inside the main right column) in PS, so it is more familiar to new users and works more efficiently than it currently does.

a photoshop layout would be nice as in terms of masking ,layers etc , merging ,thumbnail of paint etc... yea sounds good :D looking forward to it