3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Vox layer/extrude....3D spline help

NLPLP

Question

In this video at 3:35 he s using the 3D spline to mask and extrude offset, because he wants to extrude everything covered by the spline nnot just the viewing angle.

I cannot for the life of me duplicate that 3D spline behavior.....On 2022.57 the 3D spline is impossible to control and rotates everytime i pan around the model.

All Im trying to do  is make the 3Dspline stay in one place (stick to the surface ) as I draw the points . ( I really do not understand why the spline has to rotate like that)

Please help

13 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, NLPLP said:

Please see video I made and let me know if there s a way to fix this

I really do not understand this behavior as it serves no purpose and Im hoping Im doing something wrong . 

If not this must be a bug.

This is just a hunch but are you rotating the camera by holding down the ALT key?

One of the new features in 3D Coat is the ability to rotate splines by holding down the ALT key which automatically detaches the spline from the surface while the ALT key is pressed.  Instead of using the ALT key to navigate try left-clicking and dragging in the border area of the viewport and see if the spline remains attached to the surface.

image.jpeg.5e5409f160066635b425494db1db8db4.jpeg

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

Why not use the new, incredibly powerful Curves functionality?

!00% this! ^^^

@NLPLP Using Curves would be a much better solution, especially paired with the Coat tool (which can be accessed by right-clicking a curve and choosing Fill with Mesh Layer) which not only allows you to assign custom contours for your extruded edge...

image.thumb.gif.59846e06f9bf27c2b8eb6984b6b5faf4.gif

... you can modify the shape at any time after creating it (until you intentionally detach the curve from the object)...

image.thumb.gif.4b7a47682523be75551f22f7f6f46bd2.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

Why not use the new, incredibly powerful Curves functionality?

Yes that is great but it doesnt work for areas that go around a surface. Think of a large area around a shoe for example

It only masks as a projection which is very inaccurate for large selections/masks.

2 hours ago, Fluffy said:

!00% this! ^^^

@NLPLP Using Curves would be a much better solution, especially paired with the Coat tool (which can be accessed by right-clicking a curve and choosing Fill with Mesh Layer) which not only allows you to assign custom contours for your extruded edge...

image.thumb.gif.59846e06f9bf27c2b8eb6984b6b5faf4.gif

... you can modify the shape at any time after creating it (until you intentionally detach the curve from the object)...

image.thumb.gif.4b7a47682523be75551f22f7f6f46bd2.gif

Yes I use them for most things but when it comes to large projections around an area they give really wonky results, when used with layer tool, extrude etc.

Fill in with mesh layer works well (around the surface) however and adresses all the inherent problems with projection

54 minutes ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

Have you tried all the commands from the Curves menu and the RMB menu? Nothing worked for your specific task?

I was finally able to make the 3D spline work based on Fluffy's post from above. The issue is that for some reason there exists the functionality to rotate the 3D spline with the same key thats used to navigate(rotate) the scene. I find that very counterintuitive. Was wondering if there's a way toto disable that functionality.

Oleg, no those do not work, unless you use the "fill with Mesh Layer". That works great and its a workaround, but if you try to use the Pose tool for example and you want to mask a large area,  none of the regular curve tools will mask the area that goes all the way around  .

Only the 3D spline has that functionality. Now all thats needed in my opinion is to disable the rotation with the ALT key which is activated by default, because that key is reserved for basic navigation.

I appreciate all your help

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

This should be fixed in the latest version. Could you provide a link to the description of this error so I can check?

ill do a quick video ... its voxel engine and mask related.. anything where mask and voxels are used become unstable