3DCoat Forums

Vox hide -> Res+ possible bug?

phoenixart

Question

• Advanced Member

Hi there,

I've been experiencing this issue since last year, not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug.

Here are the steps:

1. Use Vox Hide to hide part of the voxel mesh.
  2. Separate the hidden parts.
  3. On the original voxel mesh, increase the resolution. The hidden parts come back, and they're now joined to the original mesh.
  4. Alternatively, before step three, use first Delete Hidden Parts prior to increasing the resolution. The result doesn't change.
  5. Also, once the hidden parts are deleted, performing a Cut-Off will still bring back those parts.
  6. Lastly, save the file, and re-open it. Now the original mesh it's back, and the hidden parts are again visible in the original layer.

https://mega.nz/file/2KxGFaqI#3sSWA77qYbGLjSZn_sDEa1hS9soD3hXrbiqlEv_UMzA\

After reopening the scene

https://mega.nz/file/rHZCwagD#yJNBhQEMlyiM0zvHj3zxjBG2ssk6s-bS8X2po5w39Pg

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/25/2023 at 6:43 PM, phoenixart said:

Here are the steps:

1. Use Vox Hide to hide part of the voxel mesh.
  2. Separate the hidden parts.
  3. On the original voxel mesh, increase the resolution. The hidden parts come back, and they're now joined to the original mesh.

Seeing the same behaviour in 3D Coat 2022.57, it also happens if you use the Unhide All option.

Alternatively, before step three, use first Delete Hidden Parts prior to increasing the resolution. The result doesn't change.

Tested this several times and I'm not seeing the same behaviour.  After separating the hidden parts and selecting the original sculpt layer using Delete Hidden prior to Unhide All seems to fix the issue.

Lastly, save the file, and re-open it. Now the original mesh it's back, and the hidden parts are again visible in the original layer.

It appears that the Separate Hidden Parts option doesn't actually remove the hidden voxels when it creates the new objects and I don't believe hidden voxels persist between saving/reloading so this would probably be considered expected behaviour.

It's either a bug or a misnamed feature since currently Separate Hidden Volumes seems to function as "Clone Hidden Volumes".

ETA: Just noticed @Carlosans added comment concerning Separate Hidden Volumes copying rather than removing voxels, perhaps just changing the wording of the tooltip for the feature from "Creates a new Sculpt Object from hidden parts of volumes" to "Clones hidden parts of volumes to create a new Sculpt Object" would help to avoid confusion in future?

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, phoenixart said:

Thanks @Fluffy for checking.

I wasn't sure whether I had to delete the geometry or not before proceeding with Res+

In the first video I posted around 59 seconds in, I do delete the geometry, and then increase the resolution, but the problem still persists.

During my tests, it seemed that this is a random behavior. Sometimes I restart 3D Coat, go through the same steps, and it works. Other times it doesn't, and what's worst, after I save and reopen the scene, I find the original mesh intact, with no hidden voxels whatsoever.

Not sure how to help to nail down where the issue lies.

Okay, I followed the steps you took in that part of the video and I found that if you increase the layer resolution and then revert using the Undo option once then Delete Hidden doesn't have any effect and increasing the layer resolution will result in the voxels being unhidden just as you described.

After a little more testing I noticed that there seems to be a few inconsistencies with using the Undo option in conjunction with Separate Hidden Volumes (for example, if you use the Undo feature directly after selecting Separate Hidden Volumes you'll find that it reverts the creation of the voxels but doesn't remove the newly created empty layer).

With this in mind I went back and tested your exact process again and discovered that if, after increasing the resolution of the sculpt object, you hit Undo twice before selecting Delete Hidden the hidden voxels will be deleted and you can increase the layer resolution without the hidden/deleted voxels reappearing.

It seems like the issue is also somehow related to using Undo to revert changes to the object resolution.  The last thing I tried involved the following steps:

1. Create a voxel object.
  2. Hide part of the object with VoxHide.
  3. Select Separate Hidden Volumes from Geometry menu to create new Sculpt Object.
  4. Select original voxel object and increase resolution (hidden volumes become visible).
  5. Revert changes with Undo.
  6. Select Delete Hidden from Geometry menu.
  7. Increase resolution of original voxel object ("deleted" volumes become visible).
  8. Select Undo option 3 times.
  9. Select Delete Hidden from Geometry menu.
  10. Increase resolution of original voxel object (volume created successfully).

Result:

image.jpeg.2e3f8429c110e9babdb2e8d190502e1f.jpeg

It seems like you need to use the Undo option twice to fully revert the changes to layer resolution and, based on the number of times Undo was used in step 8, the issue "stacks" so that each time you only select Undo once in order to try a different approach it will require an additional Undo in order to revert to a point where Delete Hidden works correctly.

In short, the best solution for now seems to be ensuring that you always select Delete Hidden from the Geometry menu before attempting to increase the layer resolution.

ETA: An alternative solution is to duplicate the original Sculpt Object, increase the resolution of the newly created copy and just delete the original, since duplicating an object doesn't duplicate hidden voxels (Note: apparently this method is still affected by the same issue with Undo i.e. if you increase the layer resolution and then hit Undo once before duplicating the layer the hidden voxels will also be duplicated but if you hit Undo twice after increasing the resolution then duplicating the layer removes the hidden voxels as expected).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks @Fluffy for checking.

I wasn't sure whether I had to delete the geometry or not before proceeding with Res+

In the first video I posted around 59 seconds in, I do delete the geometry, and then increase the resolution, but the problem still persists.

During my tests, it seemed that this is a random behavior. Sometimes I restart 3D Coat, go through the same steps, and it works. Other times it doesn't, and what's worst, after I save and reopen the scene, I find the original mesh intact, with no hidden voxels whatsoever.

Not sure how to help to nail down where the issue lies.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the thorough post @Fluffy, that's really kind of you looking into the issue with such care.

I tested the options you provided. I might be doing something wrong, as so far I didn't get it working.
But you might be onto something about the undo. It's possible that the times it worked on my end, I wasn't messing with the undo.

That said, there's something going on which I think Andrew should be let know.

Edit: even being careful about the undo, it's still giving me error. And opening the scene after restarting 3D Coat still deletes the Vox hide operations, and reverts the mesh to the original state.

Edited by phoenixart