3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Voxel + Paint with no UV. Good to go?

phoenixart

• Advanced Member

If I have a voxel with some smart materials applied to the layers, in order to export the textures I need to bake + unwrap first, correct?
For some reason, I thought it was possible to export right away, say to Blender, without the need to unwrap, which also means Autopo first.

Edited by phoenixart

• Advanced Member

Right, that's what I've been doing so far.
But not sure on which release happened, I noticed I was able to switch to the paint room skipping the baking/unwrapping process altogether, and be able to stack up smart materials.

I thought, if that's possible, there might be a way to make exportable too, otherwise I'm confused on the purpose of such feature.

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, phoenixart said:

Right, that's what I've been doing so far.
But not sure on which release happened, I noticed I was able to switch to the paint room skipping the baking/unwrapping process altogether, and be able to stack up smart materials.

I thought, if that's possible, there might be a way to make exportable too, otherwise I'm confused on the purpose of such feature.

honestly... 99% of 3dcoat i dont understand ... i cant find tutorials or explanations for a lot of it...

really is try things ... might get something

i only ever use 3dcoat these days for painting a few stylized pieces but even now its very unstable and ive reverted to painter again

so best advice ... try things , and try them things with other things and see what results you get

3DCoat is divided into clearly defined workspaces that contain all the functions needed for each phase of model development.

View each room as a “mini-application” connected through and through. The structure helps you to concentrate on one operation at a time and make your entire working time as productive as possible.

On Paint Room you can paint textures on uvmapped meshes, paint vertex (polypaint) or surface meshes and voxelpaint on voxel meshes.

Sidenote: 

About the stability of the program.

The only stable version is the one that appears for download on the official 3dcoat page.

The versions listed here are beta under development and may contain bugs.

Andrew was very clear about this: If I feel that I made risky changes, I mark build as [beta]. If I feel that build is essentially stable and good, I put it into the community downloads. 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks @Carlosan!

The Simplified Export did the trick.

I looked under the export options, and couldn't find anything different from the usual Direct Export, and Export Objects & Textures. I thought the latter would be the right choice, I didn't think to go back to the sculpt room where the Simplified Export lives.

It worked great, everything is automated!

• Haha 1

• phoenixart changed the title to [SOLVED] Voxel + Paint with no UV. Good to go?