3DCoat Forums

How to create a brush for 3Dcoat

ALF

Question

Dear 3Dcoat,

I read https://3dcoat.com/documentation/manual/brush-components/brushes/create-brushes-decals/ , but still a bit confused on a lot of details on creating a brush for 3Dcoat.

Some specific questions

1. What file format does 3Dcoat use for it's brushes (e.g. psd, tif, png????) Color depth, resolution(image size), etc......

2. How should the file be structured? (Four layers? All layers have alpha? What the difference between Erase Mask and alpha?)

3. How do I actually import the created brush into 3Dcoat? Do I place it somewhere, or do I use a "import" menu item or something totally different?

Great piece of software, but only if I could make the most of it. Really don't have much time to search around all day in the forum, and decide which one to trust and which one to just ignore.

Thx for help

Alf

4 answers to this question

Good, but it too far down the road. I am just starting out.

So my question is really basic.

What will someone do if they want to create a brush to use in 3DCoat with max. resolution and color-depth. In other word, a brush that would give very fine details.

1. What would someone use to create the file(s). Well, I am low on budget, so gimp, krita, etc..... Whichever one is least complicated, in other words, you don't have to do lots of steps to get thing to work properly in 3Dcoat.

2. Within the software that is used to created the fiile(s) for brushes creation. Some details on what kind of files is needed and the structure of those files.

• Do I use layers
  • Do I use channels

3. After creating those files, how do I actually bring it in to 3Dcoat. Used import menu item in 3DCoat, or just move those file(s) to certain folder(s), and 3Dcoat would load it when it starts up.

I know there must be some post somewhere that someone had ask the exact same question as this one. Just don't know which one has the correct and most up to date information.

I know Photoshop would be best option, but don't like their pricing structure (subscription). The exact reason that I had choose 3DCoat. Again, I do think 3DCoat could be big, only if more/better documentation is available.

Thx for helping out,

Alf

Documentation was updated, please take a look and tell me if you need to know something more.

-------------------------

//edit

1. What file format does 3Dcoat use for it's brushes (e.g. psd, tif, png????) Color depth, resolution(image size), etc......

3DCoat use psd, tif, png, bmp, tga, exr as file format. The image size can be 256 – 512 – 1024 according to your computer specs. Color depth will be 8 bit psd or 16 bit tif.

2. How should the file be structured? (Four layers? All layers have alpha?

To create a brush in a 2D painting application, you must have four layers, each corresponding with the four main channels of an Alpha brush in 3DCoat.
Its important to remember that all layers must have alpha channel.

fetch.php?w=220&tok=ccc829&media=general

3. How do I actually import the created brush into 3Dcoat? Do I place it somewhere, or do I use a "import" menu item or something totally different?
Import the created brush into 3Dcoat pressing the plus icon on the folder on Brush Panel, or into a new created personal folder.

plus-icon.jpg
Add alpha

What the difference between Erase Mask and alpha?)

Erase Mask: This layer is used to create alphas that ignore certain values in other layers while painting. Remember that this mask affects the lowest Layer in the list and is active when you erase painted areas using Ctrl+Shift.

• Thanks 1

Maybe you guys should start something like the #askExpensiveCorporateBrush :) :), and do one better have a hot girl answering all the questions :) . I am such a sucker for hot girl, everything they said sound 10x more correct and don't even care if I can't understand a word they had just said :) :) Just joking, but something like that could speed things up for the community maybe :) 

Thx Carlosan. Seems like you are the only one answering all the question :)

• Thanks 1