3DCoat Forums

Baking additional layers confusion

vivi

• Advanced Member

I am so confused with how 3Dcoat works.so I have baked and textured my object in paint room. Now, my friend asked me to give him a mask of an ornament on that object. Since the object is spherical I use a slightly scaled sphere in the sculpt room , with a solid color red. The original sculpt object which was used to bake details is colored a solid green. Because of the scaled sphere, the ornament and the surface are now separated ( red,green. I want to bake exactly that onto my painting mesh BUT on a new layer. Why the heck does 3Dcoat overwrite the previous baked mainlayer? In the description of the bake sculpt onto paint mesh it says “ 3Dcoat tries to preserve previously baked layers. Well, that’s a rather vague description. When and why does it fail to preserve? How can it be worked around? More info please!

trying to get this simple task done takes more time than the entire retopo and painting process. This should not happen. 

Edited by vivi
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, vivi said:

I am so confused with how 3Dcoat works.so I have baked and textured my object in paint room. Now, my friend asked me to give him a mask of an ornament on that object. Since the object is spherical I use a slightly scaled sphere in the sculpt room , with a solid color red. The original sculpt object which was used to bake details is colored a solid green. Because of the scaled sphere, the ornament and the surface are now separated ( red,green. I want to bake exactly that onto my painting mesh BUT on a new layer. Why the heck does 3Dcoat overwrite the previous baked mainlayer? In the description of the bake sculpt onto paint mesh it says “ 3Dcoat tries to preserve previously baked layers. Well, that’s a rather vague description. When and why does it fail to preserve? How can it be worked around? More info please!

trying to get this simple task done takes more time than the entire retopo and painting process. This should not happen. 

not 100% clear... you want to bake a seperate mesh onto a seperate layer ... so two bakes on one mesh?

• Advanced Member

do you know what ... the whole baking inside 3dc is a tough one ... its currently giving strange results and sometimes ... im not 100% sure whats going on lol

hopefully the clear this up soon and make the ui more manageable as im sure ive just found 4 submenus that all do the same job and send paint to sculpt room lol .

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

not 100% clear... you want to bake a seperate mesh onto a seperate layer ... so two bakes on one mesh?

I am using the same sculpt mesh which I painted with red green blue to create an RGB mask for several parts of the object. I want to bake those colors onto my paint mesh ( lowpoly, previously baked and painted) 

i just need additional layers in the bake room. 

i just noticed that if I rename the base layer( previously baked ) it won’t get overwritten. 
so I guess it’s fine. 

Nonetheless,  3Dcoat’s features are all over the place, many times, with slightly different naming adding to the confusion.  

I mean take the bake menu in the painting room for instance.

1. paint mesh to sculpt mesh 

2. take subdivided painting mesh into sculptroom

3. Paint mesh( subdivided ) copy to sculpt mesh 

4. Bake sculpt mesh onto painting room mesh 

ALL 4 points should be consolidated into one that brings up a menu or pop up with all options to choose from there ( since honestly, I don’t see much difference to all 4 points)

->1. to sculpt mesh assumes that it’s going into the sculpt room ( where else?) so why does 2 and 3 use “ sculpt room/ sculpt mesh  ?

jeez, read the 1st tooltip! It says right there “ bring a COPY of mesh from paint Workspace into sculpt workspace”. 

> 2. Who thinks of such long names?? “Take?? “ “into the?”  “ why not “Mesh to Sculpt Room “ then open the menu to choose whether you want it subsided or  not. I don’t know what kind of workflow people have but why would someone send a painted subdivided mesh to the sculpt room?

-> 3. what the heck is different to 2.? The copy? Someone please explain to me cause right now it makes no sense!

Is 1 and 2 not a copy? Will it be deleted from the paint room?

NO!! it says copy in right there in 1st tooltip! 

or is it just wrong usage of words? Cause in the retopo room it says “clone selected faces to new layer “ which is utterly wrong since clone means to make a copy, but what it does is actually “cut out” and put it on a new layer! Also clone or copy, workspace or room? please choose and stay consistent. 

if the UI/ UX designer is reading this ,I suggest to make a rule board for the words that can be used. 3Dcoat refers to the rooms as “rooms”! Kick the workspace-word out! Done! 
copy, clone or duplicate?

->4.

bake sculpt on paint mesh is essentially the same as “ bake w/ normal map “ inside the retopo room, or am I wrong? 

the whole 3Dcoat UI and UX feels like made by random people who sit on different continents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, vivi said:

I am using the same sculpt mesh which I painted with red green blue to create an RGB mask for several parts of the object. I want to bake those colors onto my paint mesh ( lowpoly, previously baked and painted) 

i just need additional layers in the bake room. 

i just noticed that if I rename the base layer( previously baked ) it won’t get overwritten. 
so I guess it’s fine. 

Nonetheless,  3Dcoat’s features are all over the place, many times, with slightly different naming adding to the confusion.  

I mean take the bake menu in the painting room for instance.

1. paint mesh to sculpt mesh 

2. take subdivided painting mesh into sculptroom

3. Paint mesh( subdivided ) copy to sculpt mesh 

4. Bake sculpt mesh onto painting room mesh 

ALL 4 points should be consolidated into one that brings up a menu or pop up with all options to choose from there ( since honestly, I don’t see much difference to all 4 points)

->1. to sculpt mesh assumes that it’s going into the sculpt room ( where else?) so why does 2 and 3 use “ sculpt room/ sculpt mesh  ?

jeez, read the 1st tooltip! It says right there “ bring a COPY of mesh from paint Workspace into sculpt workspace”. 

> 2. Who thinks of such long names?? “Take?? “ “into the?”  “ why not “Mesh to Sculpt Room “ then open the menu to choose whether you want it subsided or  not. I don’t know what kind of workflow people have but why would someone send a painted subdivided mesh to the sculpt room?

-> 3. what the heck is different to 2.? The copy? Someone please explain to me cause right now it makes no sense!

Is 1 and 2 not a copy? Will it be deleted from the paint room?

NO!! it says copy in right there in 1st tooltip! 

or is it just wrong usage of words? Cause in the retopo room it says “clone selected faces to new layer “ which is utterly wrong since clone means to make a copy, but what it does is actually “cut out” and put it on a new layer! Also clone or copy, workspace or room? please choose and stay consistent. 

if the UI/ UX designer is reading this ,I suggest to make a rule board for the words that can be used. 3Dcoat refers to the rooms as “rooms”! Kick the workspace-word out! Done! 
copy, clone or duplicate?

->4.

bake sculpt on paint mesh is essentially the same as “ bake w/ normal map “ inside the retopo room, or am I wrong? 

the whole 3Dcoat UI and UX feels like made by random people who sit on different continents.

weve been asking for years for the ui to be improved ... workflow methods to be simplified , but unfortunately the cant get around to doing it just yet ... they are squashing the bugs ,...

apparently 3dc2023 was meant to launch with a new ui ... but it didnt happen