3DCoat Forums

How to Retopo

ALF

Question

I got a mesh in paint room, how do I get to retopo and create a low-poly model? I want to manually create the low-poly mesh. How do I do that using the mesh in paint room. Do I need to export it to a obj and then using that to retopo? The problem is I already done the UV for the mesh in paint room. Cannot seem to be able to use that mesh for reference in retopo room!!!! Tried get a sculpt mesh, and from there get into the retopo room. It did something but still can't get any actual mesh created in retopo room! Do I need to create a new poly group and start doing my retopo?

Thx,

Alf

Edited by ALF
Forgot to add details

6 answers to this question

Sorry, I am not even sure that I do have a mesh in paint room. I see a mesh when I am in paint room, but I notices that there is no polygroups. The sculpt tree has only root, which mean there is nothing, doesn't it. So where exactly is my mesh. do we have another mesh that exists on in the UV room?

I am determine to make it work with 3DCoat, really hate the subscription business that is going on all around the software industry!!!

Thx,

Alf

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, ALF said:

Sorry, I am not even sure that I do have a mesh in paint room. I see a mesh when I am in paint room, but I notices that there is no polygroups. The sculpt tree has only root, which mean there is nothing, doesn't it. So where exactly is my mesh. do we have another mesh that exists on in the UV room?

I am determine to make it work with 3DCoat, really hate the subscription business that is going on all around the software industry!!!

Thx,

Alf

Paint Objects (imported directly into the Paint Workspace) have their own Object panel. It's called the PAINT OBJECTS panel and you can see what is in the workspace within it. You can hide or lock the objects, both of which can keep the objects from being painted. Once a paint mesh is copied to the Retopo workspace, it will be placed in the Polygroups panel. The whole idea behind the different rooms and meshes is separate them based on their specific location in a typical studio pipeline.

• Thanks 1

Should be called "paint mesh" :) How do you create paint objects on your own? How does 3dCoat decide what is a paint object? Because when I import a mesh into the UV room, 3DCoat had already created a list of paint objects, are they just UV islands from the mesh?

Edited by ALF
Add details

Paint object = material

Surface material = UV layout

Both panels are very useful to isolate paint objects:

- Windows > Panels > Surface Materials

Display the objects surface materials list. You can rename, hide, lock surface materials, and change texture sizes for export

- Windows > Panels > Paint Objects

Show the Paint Objects list into a Layer system. You can rename, hide lock and delete objects listed here

• Thanks 1