3DCoat Forums

Subsurface Scattering/Translucent shader difference between 3DCoat V4 and newer versions.

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

Hello!

There is quite a big visual difference between how the old V4 rendered shaders using SSS/translucence. I quite miss the old one, as it was pretty nice to be able to preview models with something that approximates SSS in renders further down my modeling/rendering pipeline. A shader with the same settings and using the same HDRI as lighting look entirely different in the old versus new (see attached screenshots), and in versions after V4 I haven't been able to recreate anything resembling the old look regardless of how I alter the SSS values. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Cheers

Andreas

shader_diff.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Carlosan, thanks for testing. 

So you get exactly the same or at least very similar results between 4 and 2023? That's odd. As mentioned, identical settings in the two versions yield very different results and any amount of altering the 2023 settings has been fruitless. The results are always this kind of over bright, washed out look. I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this to be honest. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has the same problem.

Cheers
Andreas