3DCoat Forums

Basrelief in 3D Coat

graham

Question

Hi folks. I noticed a product prototyping choice when selecting a new file, How does that work? What I'm trying to do is, with a 3d model or a full scene is to create a bas-relief to carve on a cnc router.  wondering if there's a way that is like the new feature in zbrush that turns any 3d model into a bas-relief. My goal is to turn a scene like a forest with animals and such into a carving. 

Thank you

Graham

8 answers to this question

Hello

Currently there is not a tool that turns any 3d model into a bas-relief.

image.png

There is a very old video showing 3DC bass-relief tool, but it works more as Projection tool, not like BR on Zbr

• Reputable Contributor
On 6/23/2023 at 2:47 PM, Elemeno said:

why is it called bas relief tool ?

Because it does Bas (Low) Relief. ZBrush's implementation is just better, currently. This is because they use a technique that helps flatten the entire model more, before extruding the center point toward the background onto which it will be fused or connected with. Like a Coin, for example. I made a Bas Relief for a client, not long ago, using curves similar to this technique.

But, I could have used this technique, using 3DCoat's Bas Relief for at least part of it.

Zbrush essentially creates a 3D alpha from a projection (camera?) and then uses that alpha to essentially use like an extrude brush. I am currently testing this in 3DCoat, by dragging a model to the Sculpt Models pallet > Creating a brush alpha (2k) from it via the "Create from 3D Model" option.

EDIT: The author uses a clever trick around the 21 minute mark of the 2nd video, to use this Bust in the creation of Bas Relief. But he uses a few other tools, along with Bas Relief, to get the desired results. The Split and Transform tool are those additional tools.

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/23/2023 at 7:14 AM, graham said:

Hi folks. I noticed a product prototyping choice when selecting a new file, How does that work? What I'm trying to do is, with a 3d model or a full scene is to create a bas-relief to carve on a cnc router.  wondering if there's a way that is like the new feature in zbrush that turns any 3d model into a bas-relief. My goal is to turn a scene like a forest with animals and such into a carving. 

Thank you

Graham

Here are some examples I made. It takes a few more steps I think, in 3DCoat, than ZBrush, and perhaps Andrew could improve the Bas Relief tool further. Nevertheless, it is very capable of doing this kind of work, in my opinion. The client I made a Bas Relief coin for, was very happy with the result...and it was all done in 3DCoat.

3DC Screengrab_Bas Relief.jpg

Medallion Project_030.3b.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

20 hours ago, Elemeno said:

sorry for using zbrush as an example.. im not comparing btw

No worries. It helps to use ZB as a reference if that is the app we want to use to compare a specific feature. In this case, I don't think there is a direct equivalent, so if anyone really finds this useful in their work, make sure to send a feature request for it to support@pilgway.com. To try and replicate this in 3DCoat, I would either try:

1) to use the FFD lattice deformer in the POSE tool (to do it manually) or

2) drag the model (Sculpt Tree layer) into the Sculpt Models Pallet (remember the folder it was placed in) and in the Brush Alpha panel...in the preferred brush folder, click the "+" icon at the bottom of the panel, to add a new alpha. It will prompt you with options. Choose "Using 3D Model." It will bring up a panel to create a 3D Brush alpha from it. You can increase the depth accordingly and resolution to 2k. When this brush is created, you can then use it with tools like the EXTRUDE or ABSOLUTE brush, to extrude the shape from the mesh (you wanted to project the shape onto).

Yes, this takes more steps to do and that is why it is worth asking Andrew if he could replicate this kind of tool, in 3DCoat. But, a user could do this task...just with a bit more effort and more clicks than in ZB.

• Like 1