3DCoat Forums

how do you decide on future features?

Elemeno

Question

• Advanced Member

i was curious because as im not a programmer , im not really caring for python, is there a way we vote or its discussed ?

dont think that im truly hating on the new update as im not, i know alot of people out there will be able to create amazing things.. but i was hoping for some love with the paint room and a new ui...

5 answers to this question

• Advanced Member

I don't want to criticize, just push for a better product, already great anyway.
Python, new things under the hood.:good: New user interface:clapping::good2:. Color room for me is good...I mean, secondary priority. Highest priority: modeling, modeling, modeling...and better workflow among the things down there :db:. I vote for smoother workflow between tools (and interface). Now there is too much redundancy of brushes and functions: many brushes are just small variations of major brushes... they don't really offer consistent differences. I would like more order and logic and unambiguousness in the controls and options. More stability and less unpredictable behavior in shortcuts as well.:wizard:
More compactness at the workflow level in the scultpting/modeling rooms: too many options, too many overlapping and confusing concepts....subdivisions, layers, voxels, meshes, brushes for voxels but also for meshes..:crazy:, something more streamlined and clean at the conceptual level is needed...see plasticiti.
The beauty of being able to go into 3DCoat and find, more or less, the same polymodeling tools as in Blender. Instead you need to adapt to alien, discombobulated, tools  B)...that I can't use despite periodically trying again and again....because I sense that this is only an intermediate stage toward more advanced, hybrid tools, voxel/nurbs, which no other program has now, and my goal in 3D is to have creative freedom EVEN in modeling curved surfaces without too many topological entanglements. If 3DCoat doesn't do this soon they will take care of it in a year or two by software with SDF...or zbrush:spiteful:....when they eventually realize that it is the only thing still missing in modeling.
The main brushes: clay, pinch, move, etc. are great :clapping:and there is not much need to improve them. The 4 or 5 brushes that matter and that are indispensable works well. Except, as I said before, to diversify them in a more precise and recognizable way....Michelangelo sculpted so well because he had only a few tools :download:...hammer, coarse chisel, fine chisel, and little else.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, Elemeno said:

i was curious because as im not a programmer , im not really caring for python, is there a way we vote or its discussed ?

dont think that im truly hating on the new update as im not, i know alot of people out there will be able to create amazing things.. but i was hoping for some love with the paint room and a new ui...

I don't think Andrew just pulls a feature randomly out of a jar. He spent a lot of time with the Core API and scripting in general, over the past several years, hoping other users with scripting experience would be able to develop some helpful tools for the community, much like ZB's has many plugins/addons that extend its functionality. That hasn't really occurred (for 3DCoat), so Andrew is trying to make it much easier by building Python integration. In the short term, it may not seem to offer a huge benefit, but in the long term it should.

• Advanced Member
43 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I don't think Andrew just pulls a feature randomly out of a jar. He spent a lot of time with the Core API and scripting in general, over the past several years, hoping other users with scripting experience would be able to develop some helpful tools for the community, much like ZB's has many plugins/addons that extend its functionality. That hasn't really occurred (for 3DCoat), so Andrew is trying to make it much easier by building Python integration. In the short term, it may not seem to offer a huge benefit, but in the long term it should.

yea i know should be amazing...

but i was hoping the paintroom was getting attention , i heard in 2022 that the paintroom is being worked on but i havent heard anything, would be amazing if they had a roadmap of features being worked on so as a colelctive we could vote for would benefit us all the most

• Reputable Contributor
54 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

yea i know should be amazing...

but i was hoping the paintroom was getting attention , i heard in 2022 that the paintroom is being worked on but i havent heard anything, would be amazing if they had a roadmap of features being worked on so as a colelctive we could vote for would benefit us all the most

There is active and ongoing development relating to the Paint workspace. It just hasn't reached the stage where they are willing to release the features to a Public Beta, yet. If I understood things correctly, there is developer working on a nodal texture network...probably an extension of the nodal network already in 3DCoat, for shaders. One of the primary objectives is to enable it to export to game engines like Unreal or Unity, with the nodal network intact. I am guessing that is via USD file export. There is also the GPU brush engine that will hopefully be made available to test, in the 2023 cycle. 

But, you are right. Andrew should be turning his focus back to the UI very soon, probably starting in the Paint workspace first.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

There is active and ongoing development relating to the Paint workspace. It just hasn't reached the stage where they are willing to release the features to a Public Beta, yet. If I understood things correctly, there is developer working on a nodal texture network...probably an extension of the nodal network already in 3DCoat, for shaders. One of the primary objectives is to enable it to export to game engines like Unreal or Unity, with the nodal network intact. I am guessing that is via USD file export. There is also the GPU brush engine that will hopefully be made available to test, in the 2023 cycle. 

But, you are right. Andrew should be turning his focus back to the UI very soon, probably starting in the Paint workspace first.

awwww exciting times!! i feel bad talking about development , its not because im unhappy.. im just over curious , the software is constantly changing and its exciting that i cant wait lol

new ui would be amazing , i really feel like that would help so many others when starting out on this software