3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Contributor

More intuitive, that's true, at the same time highly technical. :good:

Yup thats true but as long as i make the controls more generic and give a good explanation, I think people will be able to use with little knowledge. They might even learn stuff from it too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Making Progress with face maker. We are going with a unity based solution for a standalone application along the lines of Facegen (will keep posting here but maybe set up a new thread when i have more images and progress to report) . But right now Im feeling Very inspired by some of the videos I have seen here on the forums so im gonna take five on this project and do a little freetime sculpting.

Loving the possibilities of the new Live clay for detail refinement in 3d coat we are needing this.

• Advanced Member

For a good while now I have been standing at a desk with regular sitting intervals.

Another thing that most CG artists and general computer folks don't do - Regular EXERCISE! I know that's a bad word for most computer nerds, but it can be the difference between becoming obese and/or having many other health issues (including diabetes, poor eyesight, neck, back, hip or leg pain, RSI, and so much more) or staying fit and healthy. Just my two bits.

Come on now lifting your Wacom pen is not exercise? LOL That is a good point thou.

Nice job on the skulls Leigh..

• Contributor

Its me Leigh B Im Working through a couple of difficulties trying to login to my forum account but I wanted to post a shot of something im working on for a little feedback.

From 'the paper bag princess'

the Dragon WIP -

post-6719-0-44218700-1307912840_thumb.pn

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Contributor

Tubing Added.

post-1266-0-10670100-1315770018_thumb.pn

@ Beatkitano, Thanks, Yup All one voxel volume. It started out as a play in Vox then I moved to Surface to give the tools another shot but again I ended up back in Voxels.

I Like the immediacy of the rapid brushes but i like the Clean feel of the Build brush (And yes its smooth) in voxels more.

I had enough iof this fella now though. He was a little bit of fun.

• Contributor

FRUSTRATION - Nice little play around this am to then the inabillity to exit render mode strikes with a vengence and I lose this detail. Really cmon fix that. happens every time, & makes Render room useless to me, amd many others no doubt.

Anyway here is a screengrab of the Render at maybe 17k rays (as im hammering down on the ESC key to try and exit render mode). I gave up at around 24k rays as i have work to do so I lose the sculpt , and learn a lesson again.

post-1266-0-54544600-1315809376_thumb.pn

• Applink Developer

Hi LJB!

Nice head. There has been a talk about the render issue before. The problem is that it happens only with specific render settins, that's why it

is hard to narrow down. I have reported this mantis report. It freezes 100% when I use one size bigger render resolution than my monitor size. and

then turn on "Render frames sequence". Did you use these settings when the render bug happened?? And if not, what were your settings. That is a big help

to fix this.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=336

• Contributor

Ha I could use Autosave I guess phil, But i'd rather be able to hit the render button and not have it freeze up my system. But yes autosave would not hurt i will use Jusyt 3dc is stable usually for me. And i should have remembered that Render does this.

• Contributor

yup OFF. even if it was on Id never go much past 500rays per frame. Its like the cycles dont see the keypress. Or are too high priority.

@ around 24k rays System started to chug and I ended up task manager and End task.

Ha I could use Autosave I guess phil, But i'd rather be able to hit the render button and not have it freeze up my system. But yes autosave would not hurt i will use Jusyt 3dc is stable usually for me. And i should have remembered that Render does this.

Oh sure, you shouldn't have to use it but it's good to have anyway, just in case say the power goes out or something. It's usually pretty stable for me too, in fact this render problem used to happen to me all the time but I haven't seen it happen in like a year so I'm surprised to see it happening to you.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah...I am not going to use the renderer again unless it's just a proof for a client or something. The Renderer in 3D Coat is just too problematic and then the renders are horrid if you are using Voxels/shaders. It's not nearly as bad if the model is texture painted, but rendering a voxel model is a waste of time. Can't get a decent white anything...paint shader or dull cloth type shader. Either blown out or too dark and dingy....even after playing with different shader types and tweaking the shader and render settings. Poser has a better renderer.

Wonder if Andrew could work something out with the guys who developed Octane Render...to either create a plugin or develop the same technology into 3D Coat's own...including Ambient Occlusion map baking.

• Reputable Contributor

Photoshop often locks ESC key in other applications. It can't be fixed from the side of 3D-Coat. So you may use SPACE also to stop render. There is hint on the top left.

That NEVER works for me, Andrew. Nothing stops the render, except using Windows Task Manager to shut 3D Coat down, period. So, if you don't save your work before rendering, you'll regret it.

• Advanced Member

Nice funky head Leigh!

The render room, well, never had serious issues on the mac builds.

I also like it, I like it more than the fancy ZB BPR for some certain reasons.

Abn, don't expect much using shaders to camera projection. Construct some nice materials using seamless small maps instead. These only work OK with voxels.

This renderer can be very useful for illustrators if,

could export a DOF map

could export masks (there's an easy trick though, plain color shaders can be applied on parts and be the masks for Ps.

An idea was to render a 16-32 bit DOF map and use it as alpha-stamp . I did this test using Zb and these masks can be really helpful in 3dc-voxels. Or in bump painting.

• Contributor

@ Andrew Thats interesting i will try that, Bump just did, this time it did stop (Although after hammering the spacebar many times) it still feels Bugged and inconsistent. Ps not running.

Second try space did nothing Hammering esc caused 3dc to freeze at 320rays and the exit. Tried again the stopped at 320 rays and came back, What about setting a cut off to the amount of rays? I cant see anybody needing higher that 1k so why not iether let the Render read a cut off value set by user or limit to something sensible rather than this endless Progression. After all if your rendering a sequence it cuts off the render at the specified amount?

Forth try 990 rays and still going gonna have to End task from Task manager again i fear. YUP

Interestingly it does not seem to matter what settings i use How many lights. Another strange development as it progresses to Silly high rays the Image becomes Transparent. see below

post-1266-0-31465000-1315818203_thumb.pn

Im using Lamblight depth shader BTW if it has baring. (which it seems it does not)

• Advanced Member

lol

always, whatever the majority believes.

Always? you should ask an advanced mac user (like me I suppose).

What pc users believe for OSX is mostly not correct. What I know about OSX issues is more interesting and it isn't nice.

I know more about windows BTW, I worked for years on them, it's OK but I don't really like them. I don't like the ntuser.dat file for instance.

@ Michallis Thanks, Looks like the Mac build triumph here then. :rolleyes:

How's that? Like I said it's worked fine in Windows for me for the past year or more.

Edit: Ohhh Hold on, I keep forgetting that I just use Realtime Render all the time so there's no need to hit Esc, it just restarts as soon as you rotate the view or stops when you switch to another room. I tried turning that off and just hitting the render button. after waiting until it hit about 1000 I hit Esc. about 10 times before it stopped.