3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Contributor

Your rendition of fabric is very cool, not sure about some folds directions (around elbow it seems a bit too much but the pattern is correct), solid sculpt, I like to follow the progress, it's nice to see a complete and complex character from start to finish.

You know I actually think doing the cloth first in coat was more detrimental than good. Surface in ZB it would have been much more accurate. from the start. I might just go back and start again.

and @ Alan F Your right I added a bit more to those pouches, Good call.

• Reputable Contributor

Great looking character he is turning out to be.

The character has been going between a determined look or looking slightly depressed. He looks a little depressed and worried to me again. I think retaining the deeper furrowed eyebrows is causing the depressed look. My 2 cents worth as my skill level does not nearly match yours...

awesome work Leigh. I see you started adding some detail. Are you planning to use all alphas to make the cloth patterns or are you just planning to use something like crazybump?

Here is an example that might help you with your face.

http://www.pixologic.com/interview/ArmyOfTwo40thDay/5/

For Army of Two they sculpted all of the characters with a subtle angry look. Not sure if it was for aesthetics or for actual facial rigging. Anyways, to me the look works where the procerus is pinching in together. So on your face, maybe just adding a little more of that. Its up to you of course, can be a small visual test. To me yours is looking more neutral and that works as well.

• Contributor

Combination, Not Crazy Bump no. as im in ZB I'll be Sculpting most of it I expect. Cloth I think I'll mostly do in Coat when i Paint and rely on Normal. But we'll see it depends on how much i have to bake down.

• Contributor

Thanks for comments,

Begin reworking from Vox concept of shoes, to multiple subtools -

post-1266-0-59203900-1319326164_thumb.pn

@ Digman & Kay Eva Facially Im still on the fence I dont want a specific emotion, I will be rigging the face for animation and Emotion so Im palying trying to make his face what i want. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

• Reputable Contributor

Yepper, like it alot. I know I said it before but I look at your screen caps closely and your work has all the hallmarks of a professional.

He now looks to me like a young soldier that one sees in some of the war videos we seen in the last several years.

I talked to one fellow and he said we have the best combat experienced field army in the world form all the wars we got involved in from WW2 to the present day.

I lost an uncle to a german motar shell in Italy, 1944. Another uncle was a tank driver in Patton's army group. He fought from Algeria, Sicily, Italy, DDay invasion, across France and finally to Germany. He had 3 tanks he was driving destoryed but he came out without a scratch.

• Contributor

Thanks Digman.

@ L'Ancien Regime Ha its no trick. standard Workflow in ZB. I Stress this is me detailing the Soldeir I concepted in Coat in ZB. however if you want a quick run down of How. Its simple I Sculpted the based then Exported the lowest devision then drew a path in silo, knitted it through and extruded along it. the Original concept was done in pure voxel using the cure tool in the same Knitting fashion.

Made an update to iregularity of underlying skin. Makes a big difference i think.

-

post-1266-0-06976100-1319574510_thumb.pn

Awesome work Leigh, loving the updates so far. I'm liking that organic feeling of the hands and the boots are looking pretty cool too. The newest update on your face is looking fantastic. The mouth area is what is giving me the feeling of realism, not that the other parts are. I have a few crits that might help you. On your hands they are a few areas that might need some tweaking. Most importantly is that triangle shape in orange I shaded for you below the inner wrist. I think that shape is more recessed in and will help define those palm pads more. The other areas indicate where I think there should be more recesses. And the two blue lines indicate the two main wrinkles that are in between the index and thumb and create a small recess. And for your face, I think to me the frontal bone area where it meets with the zygomatic bone it becomes flat. I think it might be because a little more definition is needed on the top eye lid (more surface anatomy) and that top frontal shape indicated by the blue lines that look like horns. I think its called frontal eminence? Not sure about my anatomy names, its been a while..haha. Anyways I'm not trying to be an anatomy freak or anything, just thought it might help a little, and I don't think they are necessary as your sculpt is already awesome!

Alan.

post-7151-0-94043000-1319723405_thumb.pn

post-7151-0-62075900-1319723428_thumb.pn

Awesome update Leigh. Yea the face is looking great and I can see the difference now on the hands. Small subtleties ya know? I notice the asymmetry on his face, splendid touch! Also the skin test is pretty impressive for me. This is polypaint right? I would love to see your work flow, perhaps a video on vimeo? No pressure..haha. I've always had a hard time with human skin my self. That mite creature I textured was all polypaint and I was impressed myself on how it came out. Keep the updates coming, awesome work.

Alan.

• Contributor

Thanks for Comments, Yeah I'll do a video But its nothing new, Layering vascular system and hot/cold areas then layering multiple different alphas in different opacity over the skin.

little update -

post-1266-0-26614100-1319877097_thumb.pn

• 1 month later...