3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Slow down Chris its all still Voxels, But standard practices will be followed after retopology.

Here is an update. Smaller distresses will be added later in map when painting.

post-1266-0-95719800-1325594095_thumb.pn

Hope you like.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Magnum is impressive already. !!!

Phil, I agree. But it doesn't work in any case.

It could be ridiculous as least if I wanted to sculpt noisy distresses on an ancient marble. When sculpting wrinkles on an old face is quite different. I have to sculpt them.

• Contributor

100% agree Michalis. For Wrinkles you need definition of the underlying forms first wich need to be sculpted, Otherwise it looks like your just (for want of a better definition) scatching the surface.

I'm talking about really fine details like pores. I don't see why those would ned to be done in geometry when they can be done just as well with painting onto the normal map. Heck somethings can be done even better since you can paint depth and color, like I did when texturing my starfighter so the metal showed through the paint where scratches and other damage was done.

• Reputable Contributor

Nice work on the gun models and the character, Leigh. Very impressive. BTW, any chance you could work something out with Kurv to offer your past dvd titles from your website and/or 3DC's? I've recommended them often, but they haven't been publicly available for a good while now. Shame, actually. They are perhaps the best 3D Coat training resources yet.

• Contributor

Thanks Guys!

@Don not a chance, Wes has disappeared off the planet and I wish to have no more dealings with him.Let me get over my Thyroid problem and ill look at doing something fresh with the new tools. but currently Im struggling to concentrate more than a few hours at a time.

@Alan Cheers Dude Again I would Like to do some workshops on the Hard surface Techniques I used for those curve, Believe it or not thats all sculptural Using combinations of Scrape and Smooth.

And Garagarape yep its all Voxel cos currently in Surface mode i cant get a flat level surface to finish with? in Voxels the sensitivity is finer. for me at least.

• Reputable Contributor

That is some nice sculpting LJB using the scrape and smooth tools in voxel mode. I would be happy to buy your videos though as you stated not through Kuv. I bought one video from them and not another...

Surface mode smoothing needs some more optimizing to get rid of the tiny bumps it produces. In fact I posted about it today in Raul's thread so hopefully he can look at it soon.

The marmoset shot is looking nice Leigh, that metal is sure shining, looks very believable. On the low poly I think you could have reduced, especially above the large engravement. Its kinda hard to describe without the actual model to show you. But I'm sure you know about inner and outer silhouette. But for you, those are some mad!! voxel skills. Thats a skill I would like to pickup soon. Would you say its faster to sculpt the magnum vs. modeling it?

• Contributor

Nice work LJB - very clean work on the magnum.

Thanks Jake, Im liking you site and some of your newer portfolio pieces are V cool.

The marmoset shot is looking nice Leigh, that metal is sure shining, looks very believable. On the low poly I think you could have reduced, especially above the large engravement. Its kinda hard to describe without the actual model to show you. But I'm sure you know about inner and outer silhouette. But for you, those are some mad!! voxel skills. Thats a skill I would like to pickup soon. Would you say its faster to sculpt the magnum vs. modeling it?

Thanks Alan. Definitely for me its faster. Fastest way to a sculptable mesh without topology worry. Im struggling to sit for more than an hour at a time currently (Due to a long time un diagnosed under-active thyroid problem, concentration just got worse and worse but is finally being treated) so though this model took 3 days so far I have only worked on it for around 10 hours, Frustrating.

To plan out that topology (for some areas) and have a sculptable mesh at the end would have been a real ball acher so for me Voxel is nice. I did get Groboto license for Christmas that would have been faster I think. I will play with that for the Glock 17 I have to make later.

Cheers guys.

• Advanced Member

I'm glad I purchased all your Kurv 3DCoat training videos when they were still available,they are invaluable.I've been rewatching the retopo ones alot recently while doing my model.

It's a shame they aren't available anymore.

Also sorry to hear you have not been well - wishing you a speedy recovery.

Keep up the great work.

• Contributor

Im looking at doing some more training material for Coat, What would people like to see most? hard surface, Texturing, sculpting and what subject matter.

I have a Glock 17 to model hard surface? But its a bit simple construction wise

• Like 1