3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Advanced Member

I vote for The Creatures - PLEASE!

I'd particularly like to see your process of UV and painting/texturing one of these critters.

Not enough info out there on this subject when you consider it's obviously one of 3DCoat's strengths.

Personally,I'd like to see how you get high detail textures/displacements on a low poly mesh suitable for animation.

Good to see you posting lots of work up here again.

• Reputable Contributor

Organic then followed close with a video of a hard surface model. The hard surface modeling abilities of 3DCoat are under shown at the present. I would vote for hard modeling first but I think your first videos sales would be greater for organic. I can wait for the hard surface video.

For your consideration:

A video showing the principles of how to retopo and then uv map for organic animation, pretty much what Sandro said. I know some of principles for both but to see a professional at work with his insights would be a great help.

Thanks for asking...

• Advanced Member

Impressive updates!

Sorry for bad english, in All cases... yes, pores, well Phil, it won't work very well. But there're more hi freq details than pores. Wrinkles combined with pores. Wrinkles with some gravity I mean.

Oh, I also vote for the second creature.

• Advanced Member

hey Leigh,

I was looking for your advanced tutorials regarding 3dCoat (project "Scorpion" & project "Thanator") and google send me to https://www.kurvstudios.com/, but it seems to me like the page is down?

Is there any alternative to get your tutorials/workshops? Maybe from another site?

Thanks

Peter

Nice update Leigh. This creature you are sculpting makes sense, its organic and hardsurface. Would be nice to see how you do all this in a training. Maybe 1 dvd for sculpting--voxel to hires, 1 dvd for (gamelow poly) or film topology and uv, baking, and 1 dvd for texturing and throwing it in marmoset or some game engine. I would buy it for sure. I've seen your previous tuts and they are awesome. Your ogre tutorial in zbrush is what got into 3d.

• Contributor

Cheers Alan Noted, Also very Flattered.

Peter Keep your eyes peeled here, Unfortunatly (Or not) Kurv studios is no longer trading. As they were illegally selling training without supporting the artists that made it then this is not a bad thing. So please do not buy from them if they ever resurface. Thank you,

Im Working on some 3DC Training currently and will be out next month. So check back here for updates, thanks.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Btw, I giggled at the bit where you were searching for the transform tool, this shows a long way how much we need an ui reorganisation.

Anyway you peaked my interest for your training material.

I Know, I know, I must waste time every sculpt. Isnt it :wacko::rofl:

ps. Even the Hot menu (Space bar) is tricky all those words, nothing for the eye to catch I gone on and on to Andrew about it.

If they were to use icons (bleah) it should be a very small icon, along side the text, and without any color, similar to the icons in the paint room would work. It's just unfortunate that most icons in 3d apps don't make any sense when you look at them. BTW Leigh, in your video were you purposely using Orthographic mode or was that an accident?

• Reputable Contributor

Great, I will be looking forward to the videos and a good tip on scaling, thanks...

I like the LC Flatten brush set at 1% with the second brush in the e-panel for general smoothing too... :)

• Contributor

If they were to use icons (bleah) it should be a very small icon, along side the text, and without any color, similar to the icons in the paint room would work. It's just unfortunate that most icons in 3d apps don't make any sense when you look at them.

Sorry you feel that way Phil, I (and im sure many others) feel that some form of Eye catching organisation (That make sense), would help the application greatly.

BTW Leigh, in your video were you purposely using Orthographic mode or was that an accident?

Irrelevant but thanks for the observation.

Thanks Digman, Problem i have currently with Flatten is regardless of strength it still goes too deep for me to use effectively. I will play some more.

- Leigh

• Contributor

an option for every tool button to have icon, text, or both.

Would that be so bad? Certainly its easy to get lost in LW, but in LW when they add something they never go back and Re order, Its a bit of a mess.

At least if we had custom marking menu where we could assign the functions that we use most often We would not have to stop and take a closer look at what we are doing, much more fluid Sculptural workflow. for instance in ZBrush we hit a key to find the Start letter of the tool we want and select it from highlighted matches then our most commonly used brushes appear at the top of the brush panel. in Icon format that makes it easy to pick.

I am a little (More than a little actually) dyslexic and I have to think slowly when it comes to words. but still even though i know what im looking for in coat I get lost in all the columns of worded buttons having the Hot menu laid out in a different order makes it even worse.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

One possible reason for the flatten brush (not the Generalbrush one) behavior between yours and mine might be related to our tablet pen pressures settings and and the amount of levels of sensitivity. The newer models have 2048 which is more than mine 1024 (Intuos 3). This is something that interest me but I will not tie up your thread with looking into how our tablets ,pens and pen nibs effect our use of 3DCoat's brushes.

Using my pen at it's current pressure settings. I am able to have a real fine control level of smoothing using the second brush in the e-panel as it only effects depth.

Again, looking forward to the videos coming down the tube...

Would that be so bad? Certainly its easy to get lost in LW, but in LW when they add something they never go back and Re order, Its a bit of a mess.

It's not bad, that's why I suggested it. That way you can have your choice, pick which ever option you like,

• Advanced Member

Sorry you feel that way Phil, I (and im sure many others) feel that some form of Eye catching organisation (That make sense), would help the application greatly.

I have to agree with Leigh, when i was looking for a pure modelling tool, i had a decision to make between Hexagon 2.5 and Silo2. You can blame me for that, but i took Hex, because of the icon-buttons :D

• Advanced Member

I have to agree with Leigh, when i was looking for a pure modelling tool, i had a decision to make between Hexagon 2.5 and Silo2. You can blame me for that, but i took Hex, because of the icon-buttons :D

The nice thing about Silo though is that you can create your own on-screen button interface complete with icons and tabs. Which is something I would like to see in 3DC.

No digman, this is not tablet related, as a matter of fact 3dcoat doesn't seem to take more than 1024 level of pressure (I've a 24HD), changing the parameters doesn't do much and it's always reset to 1024 anyway.

You can try with no pressure sensibility stroke, it's the same.

There's some stepping, and like Leigh said, it's related to the grid, it's the same as the move brush a while ago: you couldn't make small adjustments since the grid was in the way.

As I remember Andrew doesn't own an Intuos 4. He already mentioned the problem to me, too. He would support the professional tablets, as soon as he gets a reference hardware... This is my last info about the tablet issue.

@Leigh: Exactly, a reorganisation would help and open eyes: We need only a hand full tools of all the stuff we see today in the menus... ;)

Thank you for the video. Are you shure the smoothing problem is related to the scaling? Is it not the mesh topology? What happen, if you clean up the topology? It is the tool in the voxels main menu Voxels->clean surface

• Advanced Member

Im looking at doing some more training material for Coat, What would people like to see most? hard surface, Texturing, sculpting and what subject matter.

I have a Glock 17 to model hard surface? But its a bit simple construction wise

all of the above

What I would REAAAALLLLY like to see is just 100 hours of raw footage of you at work. I don't even need the editing or commentary, frankly though it's nice to have

100 hours is asking for a lot so let's just settle on 50-ish B)

• 1 month later...
  • Contributor

Long time away working things got held up on a job and its been going slow.

I have an update on the bleak Player model however, Here is a Untiy render of the lowpoly with maps. Retopology done in Coat maps baked out using topogun, then painting done in Coat also.

post-1266-0-41875100-1332198466_thumb.pn

Thanks

and yes he will have some hair! :)