3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Contributor

Hey,I like those. :) They are very elegant little ships!Well done! :good:

Thanks Artman.

Here is an update of the Last ship Textured and retopologised 632tris and for this render 1kmap but ingame thes ships will be Very small so we will condense to either 512 or at lowest res 256maps Hope you like it.

-

post-1266-0-04988300-1300980943_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-15758100-1300980975_thumb.pn

Good job, reminds me of a ship model I did as an art test for a game studio in Japan years ago. They had some crazy requirements for how small this thing would be, I could only it imagine it as a Gameboy Advance game model.

• Contributor

Very nice! I looked up the details from that old art test (back in 2005) the limit was 300 polys, 128x128 texture, 16 colors max.

Yes we decided to run it through a Poly reduction using soft image for the sprite but were keeping the maps at 256 for now

-

post-1266-0-40361000-1301059126_thumb.pn

Using the one on the right @ 360 tris any les and we lose to much volume.

• Advanced Member

This one is more organic.

I guess it is the "vilains" fighter type :)

Nice design!

(Thank you for your advice on the arabian character.

Let's go for the second one, may be mixed with the third)

Wow...love your hard sculpts... which reminds me I did purchase your Scorpion DVD from Kurv3D... I must watch it soon...

• Contributor

Scorpion? The famous band? Still loving you?

I have no idea of what is Kurv3D! lol

Forget about it, I was probably drunk when I talked about that :)

Oh Kenmo Thanks but I will release more better upto date stuff for free from my site based on these sculpts. Kurv unfortunately is still selling my material when they have been asked to remove due to lack of payments to there artists (I will not ellaborate and I will remove subsequent posts to my thread re Kurv). I am and have not been associated with them since June last year, but they doo persist. :(So to all please do not purchase my material from there the artists dont get a penny!

so Garagarape don't worry, is just mistakes of the past biting my ass and reminding me to be more careful.

• Like 1

Hi Leigh,

~ :(So to all please do not purchase my material from there the artists dont get a penny! ~

Thank you for that timely bit of info!

I'd recently been considering whether or not to purchase your videos through them, glad I didn't..!

Will now wait until you've released your new set.

regards Colin

• Contributor

Oh thank you. Much Appreciated, This ship was really difficult to come up with a fresh. Im glad its positive response.

Update with texture -

post-1266-0-74072800-1301867707_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-08752700-1301867729_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-37870300-1301867737_thumb.pn

These are only ever going to be displayed at very low resolution in most cases with 256sqr map, so shape and silhouette needs to be interesting.

I will now load into Softimage and rendermap some semi flat light to the map so we can use with flat illuminated shader on ipad.

Thanks again.

• Contributor

Cheers Garagarape.

Ye the vox b4 baking does have the edge, But i think its more the angle.

Final texture b4 the poly reduction -

post-1266-0-42186400-1301873937_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-43189300-1301873953_thumb.pn

Flatshaded all baked out.

Now to reduce poly count as low as possible whilst maintaining the volume and silhouette.

New 3D-Coat texture space workshop -

http://vimeo.com/21918105

Thanks

Hi Leigh. Interesting workflow.

But why are you using the way over the retopo room?

Is it not faster just to rescale the islands inside the UV room? 3D Coat bakes them automatically to the right position, after using "apply UV". The advantage: You have not to open a new scene, and can do both: export the new mesh an the new texture positions directly, without closing your origin scene.

If you need an example video, just drop a line.

Best wishes

Chris

• Contributor

Hi Leigh. Interesting workflow.

But why are you using the way over the retopo room?

Is it not faster just to rescale the islands inside the UV room? 3D Coat bakes them automatically to the right position, after using "apply UV". The advantage: You have not to open a new scene, and can do both: export the new mesh an the new texture positions directly, without closing your origin scene.

If you need an example video, just drop a line.

Best wishes

Chris

You can do it in either, Say i wanted to Change the mesh layout then I need to be in Retopo room. There are better more precise ways to do this anyhow. I personally use Silo for Speed and scaling accuracy (Which I cant do in 3d coat alone), but I wanted to illustarte that it can be done of a fashion in 3d coat alone.

Here is a finished render of the Gaarg fighter in game -

post-1266-0-00975900-1302720894_thumb.pn

Manual optimisation of Tris does still seem prefereable over Automated routines in SI.

Hope you like.

You can do it in either, Say i wanted to Change the mesh layout then I need to be in Retopo room. There are better more precise ways to do this anyhow. I personally use Silo for Speed and scaling accuracy (Which I cant do in 3d coat alone), but I wanted to illustarte that it can be done of a fashion in 3d coat alone.

Here is a finished render of the Gaarg fighter in game -

post-1266-0-00975900-1302720894_thumb.pn

Manual optimisation of Tris does still seem prefereable over Automated routines in SI.

Hope you like.

Ok. Now I understand. When you need to reduce the poly amount or reorganize the UVs, then you are right. EDIT: But this can be done too, without leaving 3D coat... (tested it here)

Anyway. The most important is to reach the personal goal, whatever way is used. ;)

• Contributor

Ok. Now I understand. When you need to reduce the poly amount or reorganize the UVs, then you are right. EDIT: But this can be done too, without leaving 3D coat... (tested it here)

Anyway. The most important is to reach the personal goal, whatever way is used. ;)

Right but not with the precision required to align very low res textures to mesh, Im talking below 128 x128 px textures and say i wish to use existing texture and accurately scale my 1024 texture to the 128 x 128 texture space 3d coat currently only allows manual scaling and alignment (Unless both myself and Andrew are missing something, like a numeric UV scaler that i dont know about). Trying to manuallly allign a 1024 UV space to a 128 reduction of that same space by eye is too much trial and error for me to work with. So with Silo I can very very quickly move UV space pivot and numerically scale the uv space and then snap my uv space to the correct position within the new map using grid snap. This is not the same as simply changing texture space as what im trying to achive is 128 texture within a 1024 map not using a single 128 map. Thats my point. anyway - I hope it makes sense now.

quick shot of Daelarian fighter at Game res -

post-1266-0-13400400-1302767528_thumb.pn

hope you like.

Right but not with the precision required to align very low res textures to mesh, Im talking below 128 x128 px textures and say i wish to use existing texture and accurately scale my 1024 texture to the 128 x 128 texture space 3d coat currently only allows manual scaling and alignment (Unless both myself and Andrew are missing something, like a numeric UV scaler that i dont know about). Trying to manuallly allign a 1024 UV space to a 128 reduction of that same space by eye is too much trial and error for me to work with. So with Silo I can very very quickly move UV space pivot and numerically scale the uv space and then snap my uv space to the correct position within the new map using grid snap. This is not the same as simply changing texture space as what im trying to achive is 128 texture within a 1024 map not using a single 128 map. Thats my point. anyway - I hope it makes sense now.

quick shot of Daelarian fighter at Game res -

post-1266-0-13400400-1302767528_thumb.pn

hope you like.

Understand you well, now it makes sense.

This issue is related to the wish to have a UV set, that is devided into different quadratic UV clusters. Every single cluster can have a individual texture size. Like it is used in MB or Mari right now. This way gives you a much better UV compatibility to all apps, because at least you are using just one single UV set, but the UV size is bigger than 0,0 - 1,1. It could have a size of 0,0 - 3,1 for example.

Yes, some interesting future wishes for 3DC... :)