3DCoat Forums
LJB

Leigh's Sketchbook

Hi Leigh - its been a while since frequenting the forums here - good work as always, especially like the skull studies as they fall into my own obsessions with bones.

Hope I see more soon -

PS was the colour horse image rendered from within 3DCoat?

Nice skulls!

Makes me want to enjoy sculpting

a little more. On my last character

I rushed too much = No pleasure.

I guess last render is in Marmoset, no?

Hi Jake, Thanks for stopping by, Always nice to hear from you, Yep Bones and muscles indeed are becoming a bit of an obsession with me too, Facinating that something so beautiful is hidden away under all that flesh.

Render was done as Garagarape suggests in Marmoset. I use a combination of Rendermapping and painted texture to achieve a nice detailed result at low cost. Normal map can then be employed over top to enhance things, you can then lessen the amount of the Rendermap blend dependant on whether normal map is to be used or not.

@ Garagarape Thanx :-) get sculpting some more i like watching you work develop.

On another note, I recently developed stupid condition called 'Restless Leg Syndrome' and im really struggling to sit at computer for sculpting periods. Im assured that my body will get used to this feeling but currently it makes me feel a little Sick and Frustrated. Anybody else suffer from it?? Apparently its quite a common ailment.

Loving the skulls.

Just a thought but if your having trouble sitting and sculpting, you could perhaps try standing and sculpting. Its a new thing or something, set up a stand on your desk so the monitor and tablet are at the right height and away you go(or you could buy an adjustable desk, but thats kind of expensive).

Thats what I'm going to attempt to do, knock some bits of wood together etc. Its supposed to be healthier.

Standing at your work also prevents lower back pain, sitting always seems to involve stooping.

Oh Its not a sitting thing, Its more of a get up and doo something else thing to keep busy while the tooth ache in my legs keeps on aching. Its a bizarre sensation actually. it just makes you wanna get up and stretch, Go for a walk or smack your legs with a stick till it goes away (which it does'nt really). Perhaps hooking a treadmill up to a wacom tablet and screen is the answer.

Anyways thanks for input guys.

For a good while now I have been standing at a desk with regular sitting intervals.

Another thing that most CG artists and general computer folks don't do - Regular EXERCISE! I know that's a bad word for most computer nerds, but it can be the difference between becoming obese and/or having many other health issues (including diabetes, poor eyesight, neck, back, hip or leg pain, RSI, and so much more) or staying fit and healthy. Just my two bits.

Yup I should excersise more thats certain. Cheers Javis.

OK Moving on from that, I managed to sit Still and build something cool. Softimage plugin coming up heres a little taster, Basically you can generate a face based on skull. there be a little more to it than that but here are some shots -

post-1266-0-22147800-1305245460_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-79721900-1305245446_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-15010100-1305245424_thumb.pn

Think of it as a kinda Back to front FaceGen for the 'Tired of FaceGen' artist.

When its finished it will yeild fully usable meshes and allow you to use your own edgeflow for top Skin Layer (Not shown here). Hope you like.

For those interested in underlying structure, some skinless bonces -

post-1266-0-56098200-1305246418_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-01546900-1305246429_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-97835700-1305246437_thumb.pn

Surface skin done Adding ears and Deformers for ear later. -

post-1266-0-42665600-1305287799_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-26714800-1305287800_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-01252500-1305287801_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-84288700-1305287801_thumb.pn

Surface retopology done in 3D-Coat over enitre structure imported as reference.

Update on Facial Generation project -

Full surface done along with 40% of base controls -

post-1266-0-83792600-1306393015_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-90404300-1306393018_thumb.pn

Finer nasal control -

post-1266-0-72963000-1306393655_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-38656700-1306393657_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-70541200-1306393658_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-58637800-1306393660_thumb.pn

Deforming surface using these underlying structures really is more intuitive than messing around with a simple morph based system like Facegen. I'll keep updating and hopefully have something to play with soon.

More intuitive, that's true, at the same time highly technical. :good:

Yup thats true but as long as i make the controls more generic and give a good explanation, I think people will be able to use with little knowledge. They might even learn stuff from it too.

Making Progress with face maker. We are going with a unity based solution for a standalone application along the lines of Facegen (will keep posting here but maybe set up a new thread when i have more images and progress to report) . But right now Im feeling Very inspired by some of the videos I have seen here on the forums so im gonna take five on this project and do a little freetime sculpting.

Loving the possibilities of the new Live clay for detail refinement in 3d coat we are needing this.

Looking your last works I fill like i'm back to biology lessons! :)

And I wonder how you manage to be so productive.

Is live clay that good? I don't understand what's so different with it.

For a good while now I have been standing at a desk with regular sitting intervals.

Another thing that most CG artists and general computer folks don't do - Regular EXERCISE! I know that's a bad word for most computer nerds, but it can be the difference between becoming obese and/or having many other health issues (including diabetes, poor eyesight, neck, back, hip or leg pain, RSI, and so much more) or staying fit and healthy. Just my two bits.

Come on now lifting your Wacom pen is not exercise? LOL That is a good point thou.

Nice job on the skulls Leigh..

Its me Leigh B Im Working through a couple of difficulties trying to login to my forum account but I wanted to post a shot of something im working on for a little feedback.

From 'the paper bag princess'

the Dragon WIP -

post-6719-0-44218700-1307912840_thumb.pn

Thanks

Tubing Added.

post-1266-0-10670100-1315770018_thumb.pn

@ Beatkitano, Thanks, Yup All one voxel volume. It started out as a play in Vox then I moved to Surface to give the tools another shot but again I ended up back in Voxels.

I Like the immediacy of the rapid brushes but i like the Clean feel of the Build brush (And yes its smooth) in voxels more.

I had enough iof this fella now though. He was a little bit of fun.