3DCoat Forums

Voxel and sculpting

NinjaTaco

• Advanced Member

Voxels are fun to play with and doodle with but is horrible when deadlines are looming. Great for hobbyist bad for production at the moment. It needs a lot of stuff to be production friendly. (meaning, when on a deadline..) Stuff that I feel is badly needed..

-Raise and lower subdivision levels to modify larger details.

-10x greater speed. I hit the wall all the time. This really kills the creative process.

-Layers

-Sculpting fine details

-Intelligent retopology with rings. Rings are everywhere in good topology. If I can draw two lines and tell use a slider to fill in that area with X number of rings and conform to the surface. That'd be a great start. Doing this manually is still very slow.

-Background image panes. I always sketch out my designs in 2d and move them into the background. Voxel sketching is not a good way to rough out 60 or more designs especially on a deadline.

-Masking tools.

I've read that layers and subdivision levels are either really difficult to achieve or impossible with voxels. These things are needed. If they can't be done then I ask that voxel development be halted and the sculpting tools get much more development.

• Advanced Member

-Raise and lower subdivision levels to modify larger details.

Not possible currently and unlikely to be available in the future.

-10x greater speed. I hit the wall all the time. This really kills the creative process.

I wish my system performed ten times better as well...

-Layers

Allready in there.

-Sculpting fine details

Allready possible although control is lacking.

-Intelligent retopology with rings. Rings are everywhere in good topology. If I can draw two lines and tell use a slider to fill in that area with X number of rings and conform to the surface. That'd be a great start. Doing this manually is still very slow.

Allready possible. Draw rings with retopo tools. Perform two edgering cuts. Same result.

-Background image panes. I always sketch out my designs in 2d and move them into the background. Voxel sketching is not a good way to rough out 60 or more designs especially on a deadline.

Functionality allready in.

-Masking tools.

Not in, often requested should be #1 on the todo list as far as im concerned.

• Advanced Member

No.. there are no layers. subtools yeah. layers no.

background images kinda pointless without multiple view panes.

As for speed. It's not a matter of hardware.. It's too easy to hit the wall on a multicore machine with cuda.

Fine details can't really be sculpted practically. No layers and too slow...

Retopology lacks realtime slider interaction. Not the same.

Hopefully regular sculpting sees some love.

• Advanced Member

-Layers:

I'm guessing you mean Layers in the sense of how they currently work in 'Paint' mode?...create a layer,

go into 'Sculpt', change carcass, back into 'Paint' and you've got a kinda "morph" layer...I agree this is

needed in the 'Voxel' area, since right now you can only have volume/object layers.

-Masking:

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

-10X greater speed, and 'fine details':

Seem to be connected, since you can currently achieve fine details, but you need to be working in the 6-20million

voxel/triangle range to get it. Currently, best workflow with the tools as they are now seems to be Voxel->Retopo->UV->Paint

(to get fine details of both surface normals and diffuse textures)

-Background image panes (planes?)

Not sure what you mean, as 3dioot says, they're already *thankfully* in there now. (Camera->Background->Choose ref image)

I would also add that 'Pose' tool needs more love to be truly valuable (on the level that Zbrush currently has) and more predictable.

Masking would enhance this ability, but it's 'clunky' to get precision right now with the Pose tools at hand.

:)