3DCoat Forums

• Contributor

also not sure if this has already been mentioned so sorry if it has but when i try and assign hotkey to Voxel clay It works but then when i hit the key it selects Surface clay. Not good results with that on voxel sculpt.

• Advanced Member

LJB,

Have you tried objects>curves yet?

You can branch from any "knot" as many times as you like. This might be something you like if i read your question correctly. :)

3dioot

PS

Thats a known bug (and an annoying one too). There is a seperate bugzzz thread which Andrew reads often to fix all known bugs. For best results its probably handiest to post bugs in there.

• Contributor

Yes that will doo nicely! Doh more time needed with the tool I admit. :rolleyes:

The Scrape brush behaves much more like a pat brush.

I would also like to see pens have memory (remeber settings) Alpha stroke and such thts a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to switching.

• Advanced Member
I would also like to see pens have memory (remeber settings) Alpha stroke and such thts a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to switching.

Thats another long standing request. Right along with brush profile curves and a brush preset feature. (link an alpha to extrude with certain pen settings and store it as a pockmarks brush for example)

Id like a strength option added to the scrape brush but other then that it feels to me like it does exactly what its supposed to do (fav brush actually; i use it all the time).

3dioot

• Contributor
Thats another long standing request. Right along with brush profile curves and a brush preset feature. (link an alpha to extrude with certain pen settings and store it as a pockmarks brush for example)

Id like a strength option added to the scrape brush but other then that it feels to me like it does exactly what its supposed to do (fav brush actually; i use it all the time).

3dioot

I guess it only acts like a pat brush when you are pushing a high level of triangles!

• Advanced Member

Ah, you mean it starts skipping when the system is heavily taxed. Many brushes suffer from that. Some start to facet. Some bury into the surface. Lots of optimization needs to be done in that area in general. I dont mind a slow brush (its too be expected at certain resolutions) but it should never degrade.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
ghib, thanks for this tip but for some strange reason I can't get the image to show up when I hit "return (mac) "enter" (pc). I just opened 3DC and selected Per-Pixel Painting then created a cube and used "auto-UV" then clicked on the transform/copy tool and selected Import to import my .psd file. Does my .psd file have to be a certain number of layers or do I have to save the cube as a .3b file first before this wil work for example?

Thanks

hey Paint Guy. The reason you're seeing no image may be because your PSD file doesn't contain any layers with the names Color, HeightMap or Specular.

Try opening up your PSD file again and renaming the layer that you want to contain any Colour information to Color and re-import using the Transform/Copy tool.

p.s. I'm British. I spell colour correctly :P

• Contributor

As we are seeing Lagging machine at higher resolution voxel sculpting what about a localised increase of voxels for higher detail areas. I have used a similar approach in ZBrush when roughing out shape and distorion becomes to great. That combined with freezing/masking would help.

I dont know about others but i find the default navigation a little contradictory with brush controls. Very often i will navigate and go to lay a stroke and the navigation keys combined with pen motion have changed the brush size strength. easy to overcome by setting manual inputs for these. But something you may want to look at. I cant pin down the exact cominations because i do it completely on auto pilot I will try and make more of a note as it happens quite frequently.

hey Paint Guy. The reason you're seeing no image may be because your PSD file doesn't contain any layers with the names Color, HeightMap or Specular.

That's the problem with using this technique for applying decals. I don't want to convert every one of my images to a special format and file type, just so that I can add them to another image.

• Advanced Member
That's the problem with using this technique for applying decals. I don't want to convert every one of my images to a special format and file type, just so that I can add them to another image.

Phil, I agree completely, I was just trying this tip from ghib http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=22637

until Andrew creates a better solution for accurately placing images. :) Phil if you have found a better way please let me know. :) Thanks

I agree too.

Speaking of your Starbucks building, I was trying to texture some buildings, I even turned everything into quads manually so polys would be uniform, but things were turning out kind of ugly when I would paint textures. Not at all how I thought it would operate.

• Advanced Member

Try opening up your PSD file again and renaming the layer that you want to contain any Colour information to Color and re-import using the Transform/Copy tool.

p.s. I'm British. I spell colour correctly :P

Ah, thanks ghib, I didn't realize I had to name the layers specifically like that. I will give it another try. Thanks :)

• Advanced Member

I actually really like this method for applying decals. I thought at 1st it was cumbersome but now find it to be a pretty clean method. You'd have to prepare your images for transparency anyway so there's no big hardship in naming your layers correctly.

One cool thing is that you can have a PSD file with as many layers/adjustment layers, layer effects/masks as you like then bake to a single layer renamed to Color (I use Select All > Copy Merged > Paste) and only that Color Layer will be used. You can organise your Layers however you like obviously and put your Color, HeightMap, Specular layers into a group for extra clarity .

You'll still preserve your working PSD file.

I'm always open to new and better ways of working so if you guys think up a better way to do this I'm all ears.

*Edit*

Just had a thought Phil; If you have hundreds of images couldn't you create an Action and Droplet to automate correct layer name convention & saving files ready for use in 3DC?

*Edit*

Just had a thought Phil; If you have hundreds of images couldn't you create an Action and Droplet to automate correct layer name convention & saving files ready for use in 3DC?

That's possible I guess. Still seems like extra work. BTW If your decals are rectangular, which many signs on a building would be, then no you don't need to prepare any transparency.

• Advanced Member
BTW If your decals are rectangular, which many signs on a building would be, then no you don't need to prepare any transparency.

Of course ;)

You'll only need to setup an Action and droplet once. Then it's just smooth sailing all the way.

Upadated to 3.00.08C

Changes:

- Several useful items in VoxTree RMB menu - Flip (to flip by X,Y,Z) and To global space - transfotm space to be uniform and not rotated. It is especially important if you made something in local space and want to apply global symmetry. Also it helpful to avoid improper brushes work in non-uniform spaces.

- I made possibility to bake normalmap to per pixel mesh directly from voxels or microvertices. There is new corresponding itm in Retopo menu

- Baking tool improved - it bakes normalmap from voxels too.

- fixed important bug - if some object was hidden and it's subobject was not hidden then undo leads to crash. It was reported on forum too.

- STL export from voxels essentially improved - much much faster and without crasing on huge meshes. No limitations on export polycount.

- fixed: add pens folder, pens previews flipped vertically in right panel (it is more correct)

- fixed: incorrect work of topo symm copy in DP when initial mesh was subdivided.

- fixed: pose tool leads to holes in CUDA mode in surface representation after dropping surface to voxels

- Smooth brush is now separate brush

- I strengthened surfacial smoothing and made that flattern tool will respect backfacing

- new item in preferences - method of TBN normalisation for better compatibility with different game engines.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, you mentioned on your Twitter feed that you were thinking about how too allow the ability to increase/decrease mesh resolution. This is so sweet and I'm curious if you have something in the works and if you can pass along any information on any progress you've made in this area! Thanks.

Great looking updated Andrew. It's a great time to be a 3DCoat user. :)

I'm still frequently running into a problem where I click a voxel sphere from the pop up window and I am given an empty scene. One time it crashed. I had to try about 5 times before I finally got a sphere.

Update: wow The first thing I tried was some quick sculpting on the sphere, then quadrangulate for per-pixel. I got this mess back.

2009-07-02_1713.png2009-07-02_1715.png

• Advanced Member

I would like to take this moment to request these once more.

Thread

Followup with explanatory movies

I dont think its unreasonable to ask that the basic toolset for voxelsculpting gets finished shortly after v3's release.

I also just found out you have broken the smooth that's under shift. Now the smooth strength is LOCAL under each brush! So if i tweak the smooth to a nice strength under extrude and i switch to carve (or any other brush) i will get different smooth settings with the switch of each tool! How can you possibly think this is a good idea? I dont mind the idea of a seperate smooth brush although it seems to me to only be useful for surface smooth since voxel smooth is tied to shift by default (which is good). But changing the smooth settings under any (voxel) brush should result in a global change for the (voxel) smooth brush. Pressing Shift while using extrude should NOT result in extrude-smooth. No, it should result in the use of global smooth. Please change this back asap.

3dioot

• Contributor

Thread

I dont think its unreasonable to ask that the basic toolset for voxelsculpting gets finished shortly after v3's release.

I also just found out you have broken the smooth that's under shift. Now the smooth strength is LOCAL under each brush! So if i tweak the smooth to a nice strength under extrude and i switch to carve (or any other brush) i will get different smooth settings with the switch of each tool! How can you possibly think this is a good idea? I dont mind the idea of a seperate smooth brush although it seems to me to only be useful for surface smooth since voxel smooth is tied to shift by default (which is good). But changing the smooth settings under any (voxel) brush should result in a global change for the (voxel) smooth brush. Pressing Shift while using extrude should NOT result in extrude-smooth. No, it should result in the use of global smooth. Please change this back asap.

3dioot

Seconded ;-)

• Advanced Member

Thread

I also just found out you have broken the smooth that's under shift. Now the smooth strength is LOCAL under each brush! So if i tweak the smooth to a nice strength under extrude and i switch to carve (or any other brush) i will get different smooth settings with the switch of each tool! How can you possibly think this is a good idea?

3dioot

I don't think it's that bad. I've often thought that I'd like a seperate smooth setting for each kind of brush because while using the Draw brush I'm usually making fine adjustments so I'd like a less radical smoothing brush, and then while using Move or Clay I'm usually making broad adjustments and so I'd like more powerful smoothing. So, maybe a toggle for the option under preferences for people like me who can see an advantage in having seperate smooth brushes even amongst the voxel only set.

Or probably a toggle so you can switch between a global smooth and a seperate one on the fly.

Also I would miss the carve brush if it were removed for some reason.

• Contributor
I don't think it's that bad. I've often thought that I'd like a seperate smooth setting for each kind of brush because while using the Draw brush I'm usually making fine adjustments so I'd like a less radical smoothing brush, and then while using Move or Clay I'm usually making broad adjustments and so I'd like more powerful smoothing.

Same here.I use different smoothing values for each brushes I use.

note to Andrew:

merge for perpixel with normal map is superb, I get crisp and smooth normal maps

from quadrangulated models with default settings,barely no artifacts resulting from automapping seams .It is a tremendous improvement over previous method and I get better results(less artifacts)

than microvertex baking.

Congratulation! :) Now you got something less to think about.

(it work well on a sphere on my side too,I don't know what could be Phil's problem.)

Also could you explain the different use of the new local space normalisation settings?

(with examples of why I would need to change setting)

• Advanced Member

And one more thing Mr. Shpagin, I'm more than satisfied with 3dCoat as it is now with recent improvements. In fact I'm thrilled. Anything else is icing on the cake.

I do have two requests for features remaining:

a ) More precision voxel modeling tools.

b ) This would go wonderfully with any voxel multiresolution plans you may have in the future. As users would then be able to use voxels from start to finish for meshes of any sort of complexity and precision if they'd like to. I for one look forward to the day when it's possible to model an entire building complete with furniture and occupants entirely out of voxels all within a single scene that's easy to navigate around and isolate your current active object while effortlessly switching between sculpting and modeling when using voxels. That would be sweet! :D

But like I said I'm already more than happy with it the way it is. That would just be icing on the cake.

Wonderful wonderful program. Bravo! I'm more than more than happy with it!

• Advanced Member

Andrew,can you do backside masking also for the smooth brush?

In general,affecting backface or not should be an user option selectable for every brush,if you can't do it for voxel mode at least for surface mode.

When you do thin surfaces you'll never want affecting the backside(the only useful brush in this case is an inflate brush,that push along the geometry normals,not the view normals)

now the flatten is great.

• Advanced Member

Kay_eva and Artman;

If you guys love it then by all means make it an option. Name it "global smooth" under the voxel menu. For me as well as LJB its broken the way it is now.

Kay_eva

Please share with us why you would miss the carve brush. What feature or property does it have over extrude that you would miss so much.

In my thread i have shown clearly how i would like the "linking between layers" property of the carve brush to become a toggle for the sphere and extrude brush.

What benefit does carve still carry over extrude once thats been implemented?

3dioot