3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
The smooth button is just added - You can still hold shift to smooth.

Thanks, Geothefaust, :) I was panicking because I was using the clay brush and "Smooth" wasn't working with the "Clay" brush and I thought it was the same for all. Is "Smooth" not supposed to work with the clay brush too?

I wouldn't key voxel resolution as subdivisions - That is strictly for polygons. I would key it more as density of voxels. :)

I was just trying to describe it but you are right, so I hope there is the ability "SOON" to allow us to increase and decrease density of Voxels :) and increase and decrease polygons in Per-Pixel Sculpting.

I spoke to Andrew a week or so ago, he told me about a number of things on his to-do list, and luckily, this is one of them! I'm sure we'll see it soon.

This is great and one of the most important features IMO.

Mesh Extraction

I also mentioned to Andrew the need to incorporate "Mesh Extraction" into 3DCoat as it's very fast and efficient for creating clothes, helmets, gloves and many other objects from any piece of geometry. (see link) http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Mesh_Extraction

I tried using the "Extract Skin" feature in Voxels, but it extracts the whole object and not just a part of it. I think being able to paint the area you want to extract (like ZBrush) is a lot faster and allows you to extract a selected area rather than extracting the whole object like the extract skin currently does.

Also if you use "Extract Skin" and then cut away material the edges come to a point whereas in ZBrush when you use mesh extraction the part that is extracted has a square edge so it looks more realistic like the edge of armor or the edge of clothing like a jacket.

If there is another method for extracting in 3DCoat that is better then please let me know. Thanks :)

• Advanced Member
If there is another method for extracting in 3DCoat that is better then please let me know. Thanks :)

The Copy brush does this. Create a new empty voxel layer, and use it as your active layer, then whatever you paint over in the viewport with the Copy brush will show up there. I like this much better than mesh extraction, which I use a lot in zbrush.

• Advanced Member
The Copy brush does this. Create a new empty voxel layer, and use it as your active layer, then whatever you paint over in the viewport with the Copy brush will show up there. I like this much better than mesh extraction, which I use a lot in zbrush.

Thanks jedwards. I did a test using the "Copy" tool and although this tool has a lot of potential I didn't find it very useful in it's current state. For example using the "Copy" tool I created a "Vest" but the results were far from impressive. It would be too much work IMO to make proper armor, clothing, helmets or anything with the COPY tool in it's current state. I made a request in the Feature Requests area with a list of what the problems were and some possible solutions to make this tool Great! :)http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2965

Name Change?

I also think a name change would be very helpful. When I think of a copy. I think of an identical "duplicate", and not a tool with the possibility for making parts from a current surface (armor, helmets, clothing, etc.) then I think of it more like extraction rather than copy so maybe it could be called something different like "Extract" or "Extract Surface" as this helps me to understand what the tool is used for, whereas copy is confusing and too much like duplicate. :)

post-920-1246909215_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Thanks jedwards. I did a test of the "Copy" tool and found that it is not very useful in it's current state. For example I created a "Vest" with the copy tool but the results were far from impressive. It would be too much work IMO to make proper armor, clothing, helmets or anything with the current tool. I made a request in the Feature Requests area with a list of what the problems were and how they could be possibly fixed here: http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2965

Use technique with Cloth function,it does exactly ALL you're asking,

-(In retopo room) create the vest or armor piece with your favorite retopo method

press subdivide a couple of time

-Go back to voxel room and select cloth function select "pick from retopo"

-Set a thickness value and press ENTER (if you set a negative value it will still make an extrusion but if you hold Ctrl while pressing

Enter you will get a substraction instead)

Shazam

• Advanced Member
Thanks jedwards. I did a test using the "Copy" tool and although this tool has a lot of potential I didn't find it very useful in it's current state. For example using the "Copy" tool I created a "Vest" but the results were far from impressive. It would be too much work IMO to make proper armor, clothing, helmets or anything with the COPY tool in it's current state. I made a request in the Feature Requests area with a list of what the problems were and some possible solutions to make this tool Great! :)http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2965

Name Change?

I also think a name change would be very helpful. When I think of a copy. I think of an identical "duplicate", and not a tool with the possibility for making parts from a current surface (armor, helmets, clothing, etc.) then I think of it more like extraction rather than copy so maybe it could be called something different like "Extract" or "Extract Surface" as this helps me to understand what the tool is used for, whereas copy is confusing and too much like duplicate. :)

I pretty much agree with everything you put in requests... I've still got some good use out of it myself, but without all those things you mentioned it does take longer to get there.

• Advanced Member
Use technique with Cloth function,it does exactly ALL you're asking,

-(In retopo room) create the vest or armor piece with your favorite retopo method

press subdivide a couple of time

-Go back to voxel room and select cloth function select "pick from retopo"

-Set a thickness value and press ENTER (if you set a negative value it will still make an extrusion but if you hold Ctrl while pressing

Enter you will get a substraction instead)

Shazam

Thanks Artman. That method involves a lot of steps and I was hoping there was a method that didn't involve retopology. In ZBrush you simply paint the area you want to extract and select "Extract". Incredibly simple and excellent results. I think it needs to be easier in 3DCoat but your method will be a good remedy in the mean time. Thanks for mentioning it :)

• Advanced Member
I pretty much agree with everything you put in requests... I've still got some good use out of it myself, but without all those things you mentioned it does take longer to get there.

Thanks. They say two heads are better than one. I just think it's great we can all contribute our ideas to help make 3DCoat better and better! Only problem is I am finding it difficult to keep up to all of the new features.:)

• Advanced Member
Thanks. They say two heads are better than one. I just think it's great we can all contribute our ideas to help make 3DCoat better and better! Only problem is I am finding it difficult to keep up to all of the new features.:)

come back tomorrow... next we contribute blood! :brush:

This may have been coverd.. forgive me.. Im very new to using 3dcoat. .even though Ive owned it since v2 - I was very impressed w it and am now just working it into my workflow.

so these new betas.. now "08 C " can I just install these on top of my 3.0 installed or should I uninstall every time installing a newer build?

I do. I just keep the last installer in case something goes wrong. So if I have the installers for version A and B, then C comes out, I delete A and download C. Now I have B and C. So far this has worked fine and I think only once since 3.0 started testing did I go back a version.

• Contributor
I do. I just keep the last installer in case something goes wrong. So if I have the installers for version A and B, then C comes out, I delete A and download C. Now I have B and C. So far this has worked fine and I think only once since 3.0 started testing did I go back a version.

I agree with Phil. Although he is more careful than I. I just download the latest build (beta? I thought we were gold!) and let the devil take the hind most. Maybe this is why I can't turn off "Specular" in the paint room. :o

Updated to 3.00.08D

Changes:

- Surface smooth improves - it will not work on backfaces

- I found the reason of constant slowdowns in some cases that was previously reported.

- Merge tool has got better transform gizmo with possibility to enter numerical values

- Fixed clearing selection with CTRL in pose tool

- I made possibility to select with lasso, recrangle, etc in Pose tool

- I made possibility to export - import voxels in raw form. It was done mainly to interoperate voxel data with other developers. Also it could be useful to handle medical data

- Solved problem with uv-file mentioned in forum

- It is possible now to change texture filtering in View menu - linear or nearest neighbour. It is especially important for precise painting and very small textures painting.

- Fixed problem with delete material mentioned by Juan

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew!

Using the lasso, rectangle, etc in pose does not respect the "ignore backfaces" and Decrease/Increase object 2X.

Is it still possible to move the uv points around in the texture uv edit window for per-pixel painting?

Thanks Andrew!

Using the lasso, rectangle, etc in pose does not respect the "ignore backfaces" and Decrease/Increase object 2X.

Is it still possible to move the uv points around in the texture uv edit window for per-pixel painting?

1 - seems to be problem. I will re upload in 20 min

2 - right now it is not possible...

• Advanced Member

@ alonzo

It has always worked that way. Its just more obvious at low resolutions. It works like a normal brush paired with smooth. In my opinion its a horrible brush and its more then time for andrew to invest in creating a TRUE clay brush (more like rapid but more refined and in voxels).

If you want to lessen "the alien is hatching" effect hold shift while you have the clay brush enabled and right click and drag down. This will lessen the smoothing component of clay. If you lessen it all the way to zero you will end up with a "normal" brush.

This brush really has annoyed me ever since its introduction. Its unusable at low resolutions and the way it adds material varies wildly depending on the underlying forms and the speed of brushing. In my opinion it is a horrible brush. We may not have something better, but that doesnt make this brush good.

3dioot

• Contributor

3DC 3.00.08D

Any chance of putting zoom navigation back the way it was?Before you could zoom with mouse movement on angles;now it is constrained to axis.I find this less intuitive.

• Advanced Member

I noticed something feels different too. Setting it to 3dcoat nav helped. Im too tired to figure out if thats all it takes.

Something got messed up either way. Im pretty ticked of about it. Instead of sculpting im fighting the nav...

3dioot

• Contributor

New merge manipulator much, much beter, thank you!

But if you Undo after merging, parameters of merged object lost. Could you please make voxel stamp remember its position/rotation/scale after undo. It would be very useful bcos not every merge succeed. You may need move it, or increase resolution, change layer etc.

Thank you!

• Contributor

Andrew,I can't use beta D here, I get random(?) empty objects in the voxtree from my previous save files.

I tried reinstalling beta C and everything works fine,so it is a new problem specific to this release.

(saving and reloading the .3b file doesnt fix the problem).

Andrew,I can't use beta D here, I get random(?) empty objects in the voxtree from my previous save files.

I tried reinstalling beta C and everything works fine,so it is a new problem specific to this release.

(saving and reloading the .3b file doesnt fix the problem).

Please send me some simple sample.