3DCoat Forums

• Reputable Contributor
Updated to 3.00.08N

Changes:

- Finished baking shaders to texture in DP mode. The most work was in tweaking shaders setting. Shaders color baking is introduced everywhere - in microvertex baking and texture baking tool.

- Drag&drop for layers done. Layers cam be moved between each other or to trash. Use ALT+drag layer to duplicate layer

- support of triangles in topological symmetry tool for per pixel painting. Till this time only quads was supported correctly.

- Bottom panel for vox tree. It looks similar to layers bottom panel, trash supports drag&drop too. http://bit.ly/mFUxU

- Estimated polycount in merge tool - to get to know how much polygones will appear in scene after merging the object.

- Estimated polycount is implemented for the sketch tool too.

- Important improvement- when object will be merged first in voxel tool user will be asked if initial scale and translaton should be perserved. In so way scale and position of initial object will be preserved on all stages - export raw mesh, retopo object, painted model.

- ortho-projection issues in retopo tool fixed

- Symmetry plane and ALT-TAB issue fixed

- Long paths in input fields will be truncated from the beginning, not from the end. In so way file name will be visible better. In case of truncating hint will show full path. Also I implemented RMB menu in that file control to be able to open file or browse containing folder. It is important for render and baking.

- I made other approach to solve UAC problem - if 3DC is not run as admin by some reason, 3D-Coat will work but show warning at the start.

Thanks for the update Andrew...very helpful improvements. While I'm at it, can you PLEASE enable a true "FIT IN THE VIEWPORT" function? This is one of the most basic navigation functions, and available in E-V-E-R-Y 3D application out there.........except 3DC. Can we please correct this?

Maybe its a bug, cause someone mentioned that hitting the HOME key would do that. It doesn't. It just pops into some default starting position. For example....after you zoom out and examine the whole model, it's much quicker to hit the shortcut key to immediately fit the model to the viewport boundary, than it is having to manually zoom in every time. In ZBrush...it's the "F" key...same in Maya. Max, it's the "Z" key, and it has it's own icon in the UI too. The 3DConnexion SpacePilot and Explorer have quick navigation buttons (Left, Right, Front, Top and FIT). I use the FIT command (mapped to the "Z" key) every few minutes in 3ds Max, but have nothing to map it to in 3DC.

I think when someone suggested Home they were mistaken, Home does just what you said, it sends the camera to the default position. You can do the same thing with the "crosshair" icon in the upper right corner of the screen. LightWave also has this feature and it is missed in 3DC. In LW you can hit A to fit everything to to viewport or Shift+A to fit just what's selected to the viewport. I use Shift+A a LOT.

Thanks for the update Andrew...very helpful improvements. While I'm at it, can you PLEASE enable a true "FIT IN THE VIEWPORT" function? This is one of the most basic navigation functions, and available in E-V-E-R-Y 3D application out there.........except 3DC. Can we please correct this?

Maybe its a bug, cause someone mentioned that hitting the HOME key would do that. It doesn't. It just pops into some default starting position. For example....after you zoom out and examine the whole model, it's much quicker to hit the shortcut key to immediately fit the model to the viewport boundary. In ZBrush...it's the "F" key...same in Maya. Max, it's the "Z" key, and it has it's own icon in the UI too. The 3DConnexion SpacePilot and Explorer have quick navigation buttons (Left, Right, Front, Top and FIT). I use the FIT command (mapped to the "Z" key) every few minutes in 3ds Max, but have nothing to map it to in 3DC.

I miss this too...

In Softimage it is "F" for the selected, and "A" for all visual objects in the scene.

I'm sorry, but if you can lock the y axis in the 3dConnexion control panel, then why did Andrew need to enable it in 3DC? Why not just tell us it can be done that way and save himself some time? Please...enlighten us on just how you lock the y axis from flopping around however it pleases when you twist the knob just to spin the model. Have you seen LJB's videos showing how frustrating it was the "old" way? You LIKE for the model to flounder around on its own? http://vimeo.com/5799753

Im sorry .... I got it wrong , you cant lock it to y axis in 3d connexions control panel, only aktivate dominant axis.

I am so used to navigate whithout lock to y axis,,,,Thats why i like it the old way....now we got both. great....

• Reputable Contributor
Shift-A magic.
You mean the ZBrush method of "Shift-Click" away from the model to frame it up in it's nearest orthogonal view (Left, Right, Front, Top), or are you just practicing your comedy routine (don't quit the day job, BTW)? :)

Updated to 08O (only Win for now)

Changes:

- Layers in retopo tool

- Fit object in viewport (by default SHIFT A)

Improvements in merge tool:

- Possibility to merge mesh as thin skin

- Possibility to merge separate objects in mesh to separate volumes

- sub-objects with _negative in the name will be subtractive (optionally)

- fixed bug reported by TonyNemo - strange layer that leads to crash. It was reported several times before but this time it is fixed.

- Jitters behaviour improved - when brush stays it will not jitter at place, just one jitter per movement. It is important to make randomly oriented spots like poses. In older implementation one click was able to produce many spots, it was messy.

- I improved algorithm for Apply UV - if indices of vertices was messed, positions will be used to find correspondence.

- Possibility to import ZIP packages on pens (I will extend tlis possibility later)

Announcement: next release update (it will be called 3.1, not 3.01 because of many major changes) postponed one week later. No precise date, we need finish manual. Possibly my birthday (23) or Ukraine independence day (24) :)

• Contributor

Ухты вот это мощь! Спасибо большое!!

Только есть несколько моментов относительно merge:

-в режиме on pen объект повернут кверху ногами (в transform он правильно расположен)

-separate volumes в режиме on pen

-respect _negative в режиме transform

-не нужно создавать слои под новые объекты каждый раз, только первый. Если дочерние слои уже есть, надо использовать их.

-было бы удобно скрыть _negative во время merge, иначе за ним не видно как выглядит добавляемая деталь.

-пожалуйста не увлекайтесь всплывающими окнами с вопросами, это далеко не самая лучшая идея в интерфейсе.

Wow thats true power! Thank you very much!

But there few issues in merge tool:

-on pen mode object upside down

-separate volumes in on pen mode

-respect _negative in transform mode

-no need create new child layers for new objects every time, only if there no layers. Second time just use them.

-hide for negative volume while merge to able see merging object

-please no more pop up windows! Its bad practice.

And thanks again for _very_ powerful and fast detailing tool :)

Artist can just prepare some details, and than make any object looks interesting with few clicks.

post-1407-1250239256_thumb.jpg

post-1407-1250241347_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Tool for placing details i mean. I think there is no problem to make some greebles in any 3d modeling tool. But there is a problem to place them on your models surface. See that nice looking gap between details and surface? Its that new merge can do.

If no gap its only set of objects. With gap - like "growing" from it, or like object was counstructed from parts. Very good for making robots, space ships, etc.

• Advanced Member

Fit in viewport works a charm and even with texture editor docked or any other viewport layout, object will always fit to the centre of the 3d View..

Many thanks for this fix

Wow thats true power! Thank you very much!

But there few issues in merge tool:

-on pen mode object upside down

-separate volumes in on pen mode

-respect _negative in transform mode

-no need create new child layers for new objects every time, only if there no layers. Second time just use them.

-hide for negative volume while merge to able see merging object

-please no more pop up windows! Its bad practice.

And thanks again for _very_ powerful and fast detailing tool :)

Artist can just prepare some details, and than make any object looks interesting with few clicks.

post-1407-1250239256_thumb.jpg

post-1407-1250241347_thumb.jpg

Ok, I will do as you requested, good notices.

But I have one request to you :)

As you are most advanced user of these features please make short tutorial in Tutorials section with sample object and several screenshots and several comments.

Можно на русском, наши орлы переведут :)

installed 08O rtoday 8-14-09

and got soem problems w the CARVE tool

It looks like its tearing into my mesh.. (unless falloff is 0%)

and why doesnt carve weork the way it does in the jarvis vimeo videos.. (attached pics and comparisons) notice how my carve is all flat at the peak and Jarvis carves are rounded.. how do i control o change my peaks from being flat to rounded (I like flat too but waht to control it)

attached image showing what happens.. 3Dcoat runs WAY better for me in opengl mode (winxp64 2 quadro 4600 cards) but the tearing happens w/ open gl and directx (cuda.. dont have non cuda installed)

-Luke

post-1408-1250287054_thumb.jpg

Merge tool looks cool. Is there a way to rotate the model in the heading, pitch and bank?

Now almost all my models are upside down, or not correctly perpendicular to the surface, and remodelling shouldn't be necessary.

If not available: would be nice to be implemented in a next release. :)