3DCoat Forums

Same with CUDA switched off? I had same issue yesterday evening...my CUDA driver was broken after installing new display driver.

Btw: Move Brush is about 10 times faster with CPU control...rocks like hell... :diablo:

Oddly Cuda was on, but I tried turning it off, then it worked fine. So I turned Cuda back on, and everything worked again.

Sadly 3DC still isn't listed in CPU Control though.

Okay, not really 10 times 3 times technically, but it feels like this... :D

Surface tools like pinch and clay boosts up the same...never think that could be happen...

I have tested it, too. I have a core2duo and I must say, it is sensible faster then before. It makes much more fun to work with 3DC! And CUDA is active, too.

:yahoo:

Andrew: I hope you will find a way to use all CPUs for 3DC originally, without any tools. This would be great!

Regards

Chris

• Advanced Member
Oddly Cuda was on, but I tried turning it off, then it worked fine. So I turned Cuda back on, and everything worked again.

Sadly 3DC still isn't listed in CPU Control though.

you have to reinstall CUDA driver and hopefully all will be fine... B)

• Advanced Member
Nah Cpu control does nothing for me. Maybe there is just something wrong with yoru computer and that program fixes it for you

Do you have a multicore system? Configured CPU control correctly? I can post a tut if you want...

@Taros:

:drinks:

The Linux version responsiveness is MUCH faster then windows, I would put it literally between 7-10 times faster. That's just my arbitrary number, of course, but it certainly is much more speedy and responsive when you are brushing voxels and such. It's actually kind of shocking to go from the win to linux versions and see how much faster it is... :o

• Reputable Contributor
The Linux version responsiveness is MUCH faster then windows, I would put it literally between 7-10 times faster. That's just my arbitrary number, of course, but it certainly is much more speedy and responsive when you are brushing voxels and such. It's actually kind of shocking to go from the win to linux versions and see how much faster it is... :o
I guess it's because Windows is such a resource hog....running many more things in the background.

The only problem I have with Andrew running a Linux version, is that it's likely going to take longer for overall development, if he has to support 3 different platforms. Linux is such a microscopic fraction of the overall userbase, it's largely a waste of resources, in my opinion...and obviously most software developer's opinion. I'm glad Andrew is open to suggestions, but I strongly feel that a Linux version is not only not in Andrew's best interest, but the entire userbase. This means we practically have to wait longer to get updates and upgrades, when he has to devote resources to gratify the wishes of a tiny number of users.

Solved my undo problem. Running as admin didn't help and neither did a complete reinstall. But I noticed that there was a strange folder called $$$$$.$$$ under C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3 .. removed that and now it works beautifully again :)

• Advanced Member
I guess it's because Windows is such a resource hog....running many more things in the background.

The only problem I have with Andrew running a Linux version, is that it's likely going to take longer for overall development, if he has to support 3 different platforms. Linux is such a microscopic fraction of the overall userbase, it's largely a waste of resources, in my opinion...and obviously most software developer's opinion.

From listening to the argument before people seem to usually say something like this: Once the core code is made OS independent and the OS specific code is written, then 99% of the work load is focused on the core codebase, which then interfaces with the specific OS related code Linux/Windows/Mac.

• Contributor
linux is probably less than 10% of pc userbase. Besides there's wine. Probably best not to focus on it and concetrate more on killing bugs.

I would actually think its far less in the realms of production and developement, dont forget 3d coat is a middle ware application requiring other software as a means to final deliverable, the trouble with linux is intergration with current workflows. If a developer work with a linux base of appliucations then yes it's worth while but I find that highly unlikely, im sure i will get a bunch of responses here to prove me wrong but the bigger picture is majority of developer will be using windows or mac based appliucations. Thats my two pence!

CPU control seems fine for Dual core and quad but does not function for i7 core as it has 8 logical cores, in that case it does not even execute. I have looked for an alternative and only found Process Lasso to provide aa slight increase in performance on my i7 so i will Await andrew response as to actually optimising 3d coat to balance the load on all cores. till then i will use CPU Control on my workstation as that runs with a quad core, and benifits from the process.

- leigh

• Applink Developer

I think that it's too soon to talk about closing linux version. It came out just month ago. Give it some time. Maybe there isn't so many linux users out there but there is quite many 3d firms that are using

linux based systems. I agree that it will slow Andrew with coding and solving all the problems. But I think it will pay off in the future. I'm using houdini with 3d-coat so this is perfect for me!

What about Linux - it does not slows down development process after making code cross platform. All what I need after porting - just keep some very simple rules (good rules btw, because code becomes more strict and therefore less buggy).

And also not me is keeping Linux version updated - it is other guy.

• Reputable Contributor
I think that it's too soon to talk about closing linux version. It came out just month ago. Give it some time. Maybe there isn't so many linux users out there but there is quite many 3d firms that are using

linux based systems. I agree that it will slow Andrew with coding and solving all the problems. But I think it will pay off in the future. I'm using houdini with 3d-coat so this is perfect for me!

In a simple Cost-Benefit Analysis, it just makes no sense. Google is trying to come out with it's own OS. While that may sound great in theory, it's absurd in practice.

There's no reason to slow down development and bug squashing, just because a handful of users thinks it's a good idea. I'd much rather Andrew and his team to focus their efforts on improving the software, and bring it's tools up to par with it's competitors. The more fragmented his efforts, the slower the progress. Virtually everyone here asking for a Linux version has either a Windows or MAC OS. That's pretty selfish, folks. It shows no concern for the 99% of us who are perfectly fine with Win/Mac, and want Andrew to press on, and not get bogged down with yet another OS version. Give the guy a break.

It's one thing to request a feature or two, but it's something entirely different to ask someone who works as hard as Andrew, to waste his time building and maintaining a version almost no one needs. And once Andrew has this version ironed out. I'd like to ask him to drop further development on it.

Folks bug Newtek to do the same..when they already have their hands full trying to support Win/Mac. Makes me pretty darned upset. The primary reason I bought into 3DC instead of ZBrush or Mudbox was because of Andrew's speed of development. It's requests like this that are going to negate that advantage...and for that, I feel like my purchase has been hijacked by a few people who ought to know better.

What about Linux - it does not slows down development process after making code cross platform. All what I need after porting - just keep some very simple rules (good rules btw, because code becomes more strict and therefore less buggy).

And also not me is keeping Linux version updated - it is other guy.

Thanks for being rather gracious, Andrew...but nevertheless, any time spent by you or persons on your team porting and coding for Linux is precious time that could be better spent killing bugs and improving current tools and workflows or developing new ones.

In a simple Cost-Benefit Analysis, it just makes no sense. Google is trying to come out with it's own OS. While that may sound great in theory, it's absurd in practice.

There's no reason to slow down development and bug squashing, just because a handful of users thinks it's a good idea. I'd much rather Andrew and his team to focus their efforts on improving the software, and bring it's tools up to par with it's competitors. The more fragmented his efforts, the slower the progress. Virtually everyone here asking for a Linux version has either a Windows or MAC OS. That's pretty selfish, folks. It shows no concern for the 99% of us who are perfectly fine with Win/Mac, and want Andrew to press on, and not get bogged down with yet another OS version. Give the guy a break.

It's one thing to request a feature or two, but it's something entirely different to ask someone who works as hard as Andrew, to waste his time building and maintaining a version almost no one needs. And once Andrew has this version ironed out. I'd like to ask him to drop further development on it.

Folks bug Newtek to do the same..when they already have their hands full trying to support Win/Mac. Makes me pretty darned upset. The primary reason I bought into 3DC instead of ZBrush or Mudbox was because of Andrew's speed of development. It's requests like this that are going to negate that advantage...and for that, I feel like my purchase has been hijacked by a few people who ought to know better.

Thanks for being rather gracious, Andrew...but nevertheless, any time spent by you or persons on your team porting and coding for Linux is precious time that could be better spent killing bugs and improving current tools and workflows or developing new ones.

But you should agree that increasing of income leads to possibility to involve additional peoples to make some stuff. That happened tit Linux. Just as investment.

Do you think that rate of bugfixing/improving slowed down? The only possible slowdown is 2 weeks of vacation, but not Linux version.

Also, there are much things that can not be treated as direct and fast benefit to customers. For example making SDK. But in slightly longer run it is important.

As you see I am making not all requests. It is physically impossible. I am making mostly requests that are optimal in current stage of development, taking into account all available resources.

• Reputable Contributor
But you should agree that increasing of income leads to possibility to involve additional peoples to make some stuff. That happened tit Linux. Just as investment.

Do you think that rate of buxfixing/improving slowed down? The only possible slowdown is 2 weeks of vacation, but not Linux version.

If there were enough users to warrant it being a literal investment, sure....but there's a good reason most software developers don't bother with a Linux version. If you have to take resources from licenses for Win/Mac to offset the cost of developing Linux versions, then it's not an investment, but a liability. Not just to you, the developer, but the customers as well.

If you feel you will get a return on your investment, who am I to argue? It's just from my vantage point, I can't see it. There are some folks making the same request of Newtek for Lightwave. It's all NT can handle just trying to keep the program up to date and keeping the MAC version keep pace with the Windows version. It's not profitable enough for Newtek, so I assume it can't be that beneficial for 3DC. I could be wrong, but you'll have a better idea soon enough, to determine if sufficient Linux licenses are sold to warrant its further development.

Bug: retopo not working :(

"Retopo -> use current low poly mesh" not working! Retopo model just dissapears. Than, if press undo it appear on UV, but than crashes after "apply UV set".

On any model in 3.00.08G and 3.00.08H (simple win32) and in 3.00.07 every time :(

Maybe there was no current low poly mesh in scene?

This command allows to copy mesh from paint room to retopo room.

• Contributor

Ok, i presed wrong buton. But how to move model from retopo window to UV window. Im confused bcos in alpha version there was buton for that. If i press "unwrap" there some calculations and nothing in UV tab.

Updated to 3.00.08I

Changes:

- I made hue/saturation/lightness/brightness/contrast/gamma controls for materials - in additional to distortion.

- Important addition - possibility to merge in painting and voxel modes not only obj...lwo files but 3B scenes too. If will be possible from File->Merge or from Merge tool in voxels

- fixed: marking seams when mouse released even during navigation

- Strict function in UV tools and retopo strengthened essentially

- fixed: clickng in palette in space menu leaves a spot on the model

• Contributor
:crazy::shok::blush: :blush: Yep CapsLock!!! sorry!!! I did not know

:P made the same mistake myself

Well i tell you all one thing Andrew sure does beat out a healthy level of support, Unlike the likes of some applications out there! Ive been waiting over a week to get a second license from autodesk for MB (I should expect no less from the mosterously slow plodding beast that is Autodesk!!). I'll just have to use 3D Coat instead. :drinks:

Seriously though Thank you for the constant updates and personal responses.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew!

- fixed: marking seams when mouse released even during navigation

That one was a rather annoying bug. Thanks for the fix!

Well i tell you all one thing Andrew sure does beat out a healthy level of support, Unlike the likes of some applications out there! Ive been waiting over a week to get a second license from autodesk for MB (I should expect no less from the mosterously slow plodding beast that is Autodesk!!). I'll just have to use 3D Coat instead. :drinks:

Seriously though Thank you for the constant updates and personal responses.

I don't own any AD software but I do use Silo (having a really slow dev time) so I really appreciate the frequent updates! :clapping:

• Contributor
Thanks Andrew!

That one was a rather annoying bug. Thanks for the fix!

I don't own any AD software but I do use Silo so I really appreciate the frequent updates! :clapping:

You're joking right ? You're talking about the software that is so mature that it crashes every 30 minutes, and had no update for 1 year with moderators who ban you from the forum for saying it ?

Anyway, Andrews is doing a good job at bufixes so far at an astonishing rythm, I hope he keeps going like that, not like some traitor si** software developpers... And at least he got a 2.0 version which is stable and perfectly usable.

Bug!

v3.00.08I Vista 64, DX & GL 64 bit

When using a custom render size, the rendered image has interlacing. I tried various sizes, and settings. It is only affected by custom render sizes.

Bug!

v3.00.08I Vista 64, DX & GL 64 bit

When using a custom render size, the rendered image has interlacing. I tried various sizes, and settings. It is only affected by custom render sizes.

More investigation reveals that this happens when you also change the render size and not just the x and y.

Furthermore, any multiple of my screen resolution renders (for instance 1920x1200 *2, *3, etc..) causes immediate crash when stopping the render.