• Advanced Member
Perhaps if there was a panel where you could load in a bunch of images at once, then somehow place them on the model. A good way to do this can be seen in LightWave where you can use a null as a reference object for an image. So you can move / rotate / scale the null to position the image on your model. Then when you're done placing all of your decals you can click one button to empty the "image storage" panel.

Agree - would definitely improve usuability.

• Advanced Member
Carve is useful for snapping a layers to another.

I agree with other stuff,even if I think that hiding with a medium/high res works not so bad(how can you do ears and fingers without medium/high resolution?)

Thats a very good point about carve. I had noticed that before but had forgotten about it. You mean this effect right?

Movie1

I think however that should be an parameter of a brush and not hardcoded behaviour. What i mean by that is that carve has it (you cant turn it off), extrude doesnt have it (cant turn it on) and sphere brush has it (cant turn it off). To make matters worse the sphere brush even shows this behaviour on HIDDEN layers. So if you have a volume on a hidden layer and you use the sphere brush it will act like that layer is visible and always take it into account.

I think it would be a much better solution if it was one of the parameters of a brush. So you could toggle it on or off for the extrude and sphere brush. Something like "draw on all layers". As a local option to the brush ofcourse (not a global option). If that would be the case would you still feel you need carve? :)

In regards to hide. Here is a very simple example where i try to hide the lower lip and chin on a sculpt.

Movie2

While i find this hugely annoying on its own keep in mind the potential a true volumetric hide would give you. Imagine how it would open up the cutting and trimming tools for much broader use. That alone warrants a new hide imho. :)

3dioot

• Advanced Member
1) A simple "place picture" tool. For instance for drawing windows on a low-poly house. When giving this option handles, you could easily place square images(without tiling)

In typical 3DC fashion there is already something that exists that allows you to do this. Try...

Transform/Copy tool. Import a psd file that contains your image. Make sure the PSD file contains 3 layers. Specular, HeightMap, Color. In that order from bottom to top. Then you can stamp it down onto your mesh in a projection manner using Enter on the keyboard.

Works really well. I love this tool.

*Edit*

Just tried deleting HeightMap & Specular Layers to see if it still worked and it does. Your PSD file only needs to contain the info that you want to stamp.. Good job Andrew :D

• Advanced Member
Thats a very good point about carve. I had noticed that before but had forgotten about it. You mean this effect right?

Movie1

I think however that should be an parameter of a brush and not hardcoded behaviour. What i mean by that is that carve has it (you cant turn it off), extrude doesnt have it (cant turn it on) and sphere brush has it (cant turn it off). To make matters worse the sphere brush even shows this behaviour on HIDDEN layers. So if you have a volume on a hidden layer and you use the sphere brush it will act like that layer is visible and always take it into account.

I think it would be a much better solution if it was one of the parameters of a brush. So you could toggle it on or off for the extrude and sphere brush. Something like "draw on all layers". As a local option to the brush ofcourse (not a global option). If that would be the case would you still feel you need carve? :)

In regards to hide. Here is a very simple example where i try to hide the lower lip and chin on a sculpt.

Movie2

While i find this hugely annoying on its own keep in mind the potential a true volumetric hide would give you. Imagine how it would open up the cutting and trimming tools for much broader use. That alone warrants a new hide imho. :)

3dioot

Yes,I mean that !

Btw,I like ideas for improvements,I think here all we want the same thing, making the tool always better.

• Advanced Member
In typical 3DC fashion there is already something that exists that allows you to do this. Try...

Transform/Copy tool. Import a psd file that contains your image. Make sure the PSD file contains 3 layers. Specular, HeightMap, Color. In that order from bottom to top. Then you can stamp it down onto your mesh in a projection manner using Enter on the keyboard.

Works really well. I love this tool.

*Edit*

Just tried deleting HeightMap & Specular Layers to see if it still worked and it does. Your PSD file only needs to contain the info that you want to stamp.. Good job Andrew :D

post-920-1246307647_thumb.jpg

ghib, thanks for this tip but for some strange reason I can't get the image to show up when I hit "return (mac) "enter" (pc). I just opened 3DC and selected Per-Pixel Painting then created a cube and used "auto-UV" then clicked on the transform/copy tool and selected Import to import my .psd file. Does my .psd file have to be a certain number of layers or do I have to save the cube as a .3b file first before this wil work for example?

Thanks

• Advanced Member
Yes,I mean that !

Btw,I like ideas for improvements,I think here all we want the same thing, making the tool always better.

I think so too. Curious to see what improvements/fixes the next update brings.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Andrew, glad to hear your eye surgery went well. :) Working on the computer all day is hard on the eyes.

Is there a download of 3DCoat 3.00.08 for mac yet. I went to downloads and it started downloading 3.00.07?

Andrew, can you please tell me how possible it would be to add the option to increase/decrease subdivision count on meshes. Is this something that could be available soon or will we have to wait for a next release? I am finding it increasingly difficult and frustrating to work without this feature on a daily basis.

Thanks

Also I think "Mesh Extraction" is a feature that 3DCoat will eventually have to incorporate if it wants to compete with ZBrush as it's very fast and efficient for creating clothes, helmets, gloves and many other objects from any piece of geometry. (please see the link)

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Mesh_Extraction

• Contributor

Hello

How about a Voxel to curve tool, Ive been toying with the 2d paint tool for figure/form creation but it is hit and miss often with narrow or flat results, growing mass from shperes generates almopst controllable results. Thing I would like to be able to do is rough out forms quickly (Like Z-Sphere in ZB) and growing or 2d painting of mass requires quite a lot of correction/Tidying to bring back to usable. Now both Pedro and myself touched on a ZSphere type implimentation for voxels in our thjreads, which would be great, but i wonder if you could not use the curve tool as the base for this? if we could control the size and length of curve in 3d space then grow mass along it you would be 3/4 of the way there. giving a much more usable fast form result that does not require lots of tweaking.

• Contributor

also not sure if this has already been mentioned so sorry if it has but when i try and assign hotkey to Voxel clay It works but then when i hit the key it selects Surface clay. Not good results with that on voxel sculpt.

• Advanced Member

LJB,

Have you tried objects>curves yet?

You can branch from any "knot" as many times as you like. This might be something you like if i read your question correctly. :)

3dioot

PS

Thats a known bug (and an annoying one too). There is a seperate bugzzz thread which Andrew reads often to fix all known bugs. For best results its probably handiest to post bugs in there.

• Contributor

Yes that will doo nicely! Doh more time needed with the tool I admit. :rolleyes:

The Scrape brush behaves much more like a pat brush.

I would also like to see pens have memory (remeber settings) Alpha stroke and such thts a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to switching.

• Advanced Member
I would also like to see pens have memory (remeber settings) Alpha stroke and such thts a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to switching.

Thats another long standing request. Right along with brush profile curves and a brush preset feature. (link an alpha to extrude with certain pen settings and store it as a pockmarks brush for example)

Id like a strength option added to the scrape brush but other then that it feels to me like it does exactly what its supposed to do (fav brush actually; i use it all the time).

3dioot

• Contributor
Thats another long standing request. Right along with brush profile curves and a brush preset feature. (link an alpha to extrude with certain pen settings and store it as a pockmarks brush for example)

Id like a strength option added to the scrape brush but other then that it feels to me like it does exactly what its supposed to do (fav brush actually; i use it all the time).

3dioot

I guess it only acts like a pat brush when you are pushing a high level of triangles!

• Advanced Member

Ah, you mean it starts skipping when the system is heavily taxed. Many brushes suffer from that. Some start to facet. Some bury into the surface. Lots of optimization needs to be done in that area in general. I dont mind a slow brush (its too be expected at certain resolutions) but it should never degrade.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
ghib, thanks for this tip but for some strange reason I can't get the image to show up when I hit "return (mac) "enter" (pc). I just opened 3DC and selected Per-Pixel Painting then created a cube and used "auto-UV" then clicked on the transform/copy tool and selected Import to import my .psd file. Does my .psd file have to be a certain number of layers or do I have to save the cube as a .3b file first before this wil work for example?

Thanks

hey Paint Guy. The reason you're seeing no image may be because your PSD file doesn't contain any layers with the names Color, HeightMap or Specular.

Try opening up your PSD file again and renaming the layer that you want to contain any Colour information to Color and re-import using the Transform/Copy tool.

p.s. I'm British. I spell colour correctly :P

• Contributor

As we are seeing Lagging machine at higher resolution voxel sculpting what about a localised increase of voxels for higher detail areas. I have used a similar approach in ZBrush when roughing out shape and distorion becomes to great. That combined with freezing/masking would help.

I dont know about others but i find the default navigation a little contradictory with brush controls. Very often i will navigate and go to lay a stroke and the navigation keys combined with pen motion have changed the brush size strength. easy to overcome by setting manual inputs for these. But something you may want to look at. I cant pin down the exact cominations because i do it completely on auto pilot I will try and make more of a note as it happens quite frequently.

hey Paint Guy. The reason you're seeing no image may be because your PSD file doesn't contain any layers with the names Color, HeightMap or Specular.

That's the problem with using this technique for applying decals. I don't want to convert every one of my images to a special format and file type, just so that I can add them to another image.

• Advanced Member
That's the problem with using this technique for applying decals. I don't want to convert every one of my images to a special format and file type, just so that I can add them to another image.

Phil, I agree completely, I was just trying this tip from ghib http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=22637

until Andrew creates a better solution for accurately placing images. :) Phil if you have found a better way please let me know. :) Thanks

I agree too.

Speaking of your Starbucks building, I was trying to texture some buildings, I even turned everything into quads manually so polys would be uniform, but things were turning out kind of ugly when I would paint textures. Not at all how I thought it would operate.

• Advanced Member

Try opening up your PSD file again and renaming the layer that you want to contain any Colour information to Color and re-import using the Transform/Copy tool.

p.s. I'm British. I spell colour correctly :P

Ah, thanks ghib, I didn't realize I had to name the layers specifically like that. I will give it another try. Thanks :)

• Advanced Member

I actually really like this method for applying decals. I thought at 1st it was cumbersome but now find it to be a pretty clean method. You'd have to prepare your images for transparency anyway so there's no big hardship in naming your layers correctly.

One cool thing is that you can have a PSD file with as many layers/adjustment layers, layer effects/masks as you like then bake to a single layer renamed to Color (I use Select All > Copy Merged > Paste) and only that Color Layer will be used. You can organise your Layers however you like obviously and put your Color, HeightMap, Specular layers into a group for extra clarity .

You'll still preserve your working PSD file.

I'm always open to new and better ways of working so if you guys think up a better way to do this I'm all ears.

*Edit*

Just had a thought Phil; If you have hundreds of images couldn't you create an Action and Droplet to automate correct layer name convention & saving files ready for use in 3DC?

*Edit*

Just had a thought Phil; If you have hundreds of images couldn't you create an Action and Droplet to automate correct layer name convention & saving files ready for use in 3DC?

That's possible I guess. Still seems like extra work. BTW If your decals are rectangular, which many signs on a building would be, then no you don't need to prepare any transparency.