3DCoat Forums

3DC 3.00.08D

Any chance of putting zoom navigation back the way it was?Before you could zoom with mouse movement on angles;now it is constrained to axis.I find this less intuitive.

I see that vertical zoom direction is inverted (it happened because of Linux sources merging, it was hard process)

Do you mean this?

Crash bug in Mac OS 10.5.x:

- In Retopo, select an outer edge of a geometry

- Press "L" to select the loop

- Extrude the edge, release the mouse, 3DCoat starts saving, the popuo window never goes past the first bar

- The window caption says 0% and 3D Coat hangs

Hope this helps

I tried it, made sphere, add quad there, subdivide, extrude edge... but all works ok.

One thing about Pose that I think has always been a problem is that if you make a selection, ten pose, then try to edit the selection it either gets messed up, disappears, or both. It would be nice if I wanted to bend a finger on a hand. I could select the whole finger and bend it a little, then remove some selection down to the first knuckle and bend that some, then removed more selection to the next knuckle, etc. The way it is now I have to make a new selection for every bend.

I think there's something wrong with the rendering. I have 32 bit on, but it just goes up to 509, then starts over from 0 to 509, then repeats 3 or 4 times total. Then it stops.

Video: http://screencast.com/t/k34pnLnEbve

Here's my settings:

2009-07-08_0158.png

One thing about Pose that I think has always been a problem is that if you make a selection, ten pose, then try to edit the selection it either gets messed up, disappears, or both. It would be nice if I wanted to bend a finger on a hand. I could select the whole finger and bend it a little, then remove some selection down to the first knuckle and bend that some, then removed more selection to the next knuckle, etc. The way it is now I have to make a new selection for every bend.

I think there's something wrong with the rendering. I have 32 bit on, but it just goes up to 509, then starts over from 0 to 509, then repeats 3 or 4 times total. Then it stops.

Video: http://screencast.com/t/k34pnLnEbve

Here's my settings:

2009-07-08_0158.png

3DC renders multiple passes to obtain picture bigger then screen.

3DC renders multiple passes to obtain picture bigger then screen.

I don't think that explains why it's stopping at 509 though. Plus it still does that even if I pick a smaller section of the screen.

Thank you for the update. It works really great. The lasso selection makes the pose tool really strong!

I had a crash while using the pose tool, but can't reproduce it, so far.

I am a little bit confused by the selection colors (red, green blue).

Is it possible to customise them in the preferences in the future?

And if it is possible to see the colors on every shader, that would be great, too.

Very good work, Andrew.

Regards and thank you!

Chris

I am a little bit confused by the selection colors (red, green blue).

Is it possible to customise them in the preferences in the future?

Originally the Pose selection was the rainbow colors for every shader, but some people asked if it could be solid black or grey like the freeze tool. I guess it never made it to all of the shaders. There is a file you can adjust in Photoshop that defines the selection color for each shader. I believe it is "CustomSampler3.dds". On a PC you can find it in

C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\Shaders\Custom\[shader name]

You will need the DDS import/export plugin from nVidia:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photosh...ds_plugins.html (comes with nVidia Normal map Filter)

Of course I would suggest editing that at your own risk and make a back up of the original. Assuming that's the right file, it should look like a thin, wide, strip with the colors in it.

Originally the Pose selection was the rainbow colors for every shader, but some people asked if it could be solid black or grey like the freeze tool. I guess it never made it to all of the shaders. There is a file you can adjust in Photoshop that defines the selection color for each shader. I believe it is "CustomSampler3.dds". On a PC you can find it in

C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\Shaders\Custom\[shader name]

You will need the DDS import/export plugin from nVidia:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photosh...ds_plugins.html (comes with nVidia Normal map Filter)

Of course I would suggest editing that at your own risk and make a back up of the original. Assuming that's the right file, it should look like a thin, wide, strip with the colors in it.

That sounds great. Thank you! :)

• Advanced Member

Thank's for the new release Andrew...The new Selection Modes in Pose Tool are great!

Open GL Version crashes on opening in my Win XP 64...bug report was sent.

I'm also a little bit confused about the inverted Zoom but it sounds you will fix this...

Keep up the good (and fast) work! :clapping:

• Contributor
Please send me some simple sample.

I can't all my files are above 100mb.... :(

I tried resaving files using beta C and reopened them using beta D and it was different object in the voxtree that were invisible.

So it means it is pretty random.

Don't you have a file with big voxtree on your computer ? Like a Tree321 sculpt?

Also,Gl version crash on start up each time (bugreport sent)

I can't all my files are above 100mb.... :(

I tried resaving files using beta C and reopened them using beta D and it was different object in the voxtree that were invisible.

So it means it is pretty random.

Don't you have a file with big voxtree on your computer ? Like a Tree321 sculpt?

Also,Gl version crash on start up each time (bugreport sent)

Here're a couple free file sharing services that supposedly can handle large files:

(upto 1GB) http://transferbigfiles.com/

(upto 300MB) http://www.sendspace.com/

I will fix all soon. Most of new problems are connectd with merging together Win & Linux sources (zoom direction, GL crash).

It was hard day today. I worked only early morning, then - bank issue solving, tax inspection, eye clinic... Tomorrow morning - getting American visa for SIGGRAPH (I hope it will be successful)

I hope I will do next update tomorrow. Intermediate update is already done - I updated the link to 3.00.08E (win only). But it is just to

- inverted zoom direction issue fixed

- cut&clone - improper start position of the handler fixed

• Advanced Member
Andrew, pose tool with selection is great!. But crush almost every time i use it.

post-1407-1247052668_thumb.jpg

Same for me under WIN XP SP3

GForce 7800 GT

Will try it under WIN XP64 this evening...

Yes definitely. Some kind of way to select instead by the whole object like it does now, and instead by volume. I think the new selection method goes a long way in helping select fingers of course. Now that we can use the lasso and other selection methods. But truly a volume selection with the line tool would be very nice.

• Contributor

Pose tool Improvements sound nice any chance of Lasso selection for the split tool. I use the split tool all the time and Lasso would be great improvement. BTW I havent tried the new Beta Ive been busy with the tutorials so forgive if it already functions that way?

• Advanced Member
There are a few things still missing. Most of these are long standing requests. Some are bug fixes.

- Freeze for voxel sculpting (also referred to as masking).

- A flatten brush for voxels

- Rapid brush for voxels. Since this is a volume building brush i think a pure voxel version would be great. It would be even better if you could use different alpha's and pen settings.

- Scrape brush should have a working strength value which multiplies the pen pressure. It would benefit the brush greatly and make it more controllable. (not to mention it would make the brush actually usuable for people that are stilling using a mouse)

- I think carve could be removed in favor of extrude. You could add an option under voxel options to "show carve" but i dont think anyone will miss it.

- Vox pinch needs to be improved. Currently it works like the pinch brush works in zbrush and mudbox by pulling from the sides towards the imaginary corner under the brush center. This gives very lackluster results in voxels not to mention the benefit this brings in mesh sculpting (creating a local increase in mesh resolution) is wasted on voxels.

This brush needs to be looked at fresh as a pure voxel brush. Personally i think the answer lies in not pulling towards the center but filling up the center with the missing corner. This would also remove the distortion on the side of the brush and would actually make it a cleaner pinch brush then the one in zbrush and mudbox. If i need to draw this out let me know and i will.

- Brush profile curves. (i dont think these need any explanation)

- While i think its nice to have a surface smooth available im not a fan of having to switch from voxel to mesh just to smooth a thin area out. Is there any chance of implementing the functionality for a min thickness when using smooth and move in voxels?

- The hide tool is completely useless in its current state. It hides in big enormous chunks. This means i cant hide a finger without hiding the hand. I cant hide an arm without hiding part of the torso. I cant hide an ear without hiding half the head. This is a very serious problem. This is an essential tool and it should just work flawlessly.

The good thing is you allready have all the functionality for a great hide function in the split tool. What this does is allow you to clip away a part of your sculpt and move it to another layer. The only thing you need to do is instead of putting it on another layer store it in memory (or on disk; whatever works). When the user unhides merge it back in on the same layer it was hidden from. A perfect hide function! Its precise, its fast and most importantly it allows you to work freely on the part that is still visible as a VOLUME (its still closed as it should be). So you can use hide to create a cavity. This may sound small but is really, really usefull. It will free up the trimming and cutting tools for a MUCH wider use! Currently there are often times where i want to trim away volume and i cant because i cannot hide the parts that are in the way! I think its very important you spend some time on this.

- All surface tools create voxel streaks perpendicular to the symmetry plane when symmetry is turned on. This bug is easy to replicate because it always happens. It makes surface tools completely unusable in combination with symmetry. Not only that but surface tools become quite slow when used in combination with symmetry. This may just be because each stroke has to be transfered to voxels twice (on both sides of the symmetry plane) but perhaps there are ways to optimize that or its related to the bug.

Ill leave it at this for now. I really hope at least some of these get fixed since quite a few carry over from v3's alpha and beta period and are long standing requests.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
- Vox pinch needs to be improved. Currently it works like the pinch brush works in zbrush and mudbox by pulling from the sides towards the imaginary corner under the brush center. This gives very lackluster results in voxels not to mention the benefit this brings in mesh sculpting (creating a local increase in mesh resolution) is wasted on voxels.

This brush needs to be looked at fresh as a pure voxel brush. Personally i think the answer lies in not pulling towards the center but filling up the center with the missing corner. This would also remove the distortion on the side of the brush and would actually make it a cleaner pinch brush then the one in zbrush and mudbox. If i need to draw this out let me know and i will.

- Brush profile curves. (i dont think these need any explanation)

The power to shape surface detail would be amazing if this brush worked this way AND had profile curve adjustment. The way it behaves now is part of the reason I don't try to do as much detail work in 3dc.

• Contributor
Yes as far as I can tell this image should illustrated the pinch tool:

2009-07-09_0056.png

Exactly my thought. Right now the pinch tool only crease a somewhat "flat" region, it doesnt make clear "insets". We definitely need a way to make thin/narrow scratches, and no brush have this capacity right know, this would be a nice way to solve this problem.

Andrew, i find 3dioot suggestion kinda interesting too, you should look into it, this would lead to significative enhancement in the sculpting field.

• Contributor

Have you looked at using the alpha of the Pen to intensify the effect? That seems more how ZBrush feels.

It should not depress the center at all the center should be a dead zone!

post-1266-1247149209_thumb.png

• Contributor

both zb and mb works as example3, I can understand how wanting it to behave like example2 is requested :it would induce less stretching

on the sides so it is good.

Personnaly, as a zb user the thing i like the most about pinch brush is they got something called the "brushmod slider" ,this slider allows you to mix 2 brush behaviours together.In Zb when you plays with the Pinch brush "brushmod slider" it allows you to pinch while carving in and out,

it blends "pinch brush" with "standard brush".It is a very powerful feature of Zb's pinch brush.You can do wrinkles and clothings folds with it.

The workaround in 3DCoat I use to get this effect is extrude brush with pen number4.

But really,present 3dc voxel pinch behave much like zb and mb(example3) if we don't take in account zb brushmod setting.

• Contributor
both zb and mb works as example3, I can understand how wanting it to behave like example2 is requested :it would induce less stretching

on the sides so it is good.

Personnaly, as a zb user the thing i like the most about pinch brush is they got something called the "brushmod slider" ,this slider allows you to mix 2 brush behaviours together.In Zb when you plays with the Pinch brush "brushmod slider" it allows you to pinch while carving in and out,

it blends "pinch brush" with "standard brush".It is a very powerful feature of Zb's pinch brush.You can do wrinkles and clothings folds with it.

The workaround in 3DCoat I use to get this effect is extrude brush with pen number4.

But really,present 3dc voxel pinch behave much like zb and mb(example3) if we don't take in account zb brushmod setting.

Exactly