3DCoat Forums

• Contributor

Woohoo! No more crushes with pose using borders!

But its symmetry buggy! :(

post-1407-1247173055_thumb.jpg

P.S. When you use border first time, pose manipulator starts from 10,10,20 rotated diagonal direction. Imho its not very good idea for everyday work. Beter 0,0,0 oriented x or y.

Im sorry interrupt You with such insignificant things, but please dont think such things not important. It's usability.

After reinstalling Vista (don't ask!!!) and all my applications, I tested out the newest build (v3.00.08e) with my 3D spacemouse, and it actually doesn't work at all. It does in previous builds however.

Not to get OT here, how do you guys like using the 3d mouse? I've been on the edge of getting a SpaceNavigator a few times. :unknw:

I love it! It works very well. As noted above though, it doesn't seem to function with build v3.00.08e ATM.

• Advanced Member
both zb and mb works as example3, I can understand how wanting it to behave like example2 is requested :it would induce less stretching

on the sides so it is good.

Personnaly, as a zb user the thing i like the most about pinch brush is they got something called the "brushmod slider" ,this slider allows you to mix 2 brush behaviours together.In Zb when you plays with the Pinch brush "brushmod slider" it allows you to pinch while carving in and out,

it blends "pinch brush" with "standard brush".It is a very powerful feature of Zb's pinch brush.You can do wrinkles and clothings folds with it.

The workaround in 3DCoat I use to get this effect is extrude brush with pen number4.

But really,present 3dc voxel pinch behave much like zb and mb(example3) if we don't take in account zb brushmod setting.

Eheh, I like all these suggestions, comparing 3DC to ZB and MB.

Maybe now it's time to dedicate next 2 or 3 MONTHS to the brush engine ? ( I am serious about the time to spend above this feature...)

• Advanced Member

I checked out CPU usage while working in 3D Coat. There is around 50% CPU usage while I'm hovering (not painting) over surface with a brush. Is this a normal behaviour?

My System:

Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz @ 3.2 GHz

GeForce 8800GTS

8GB RAM

WIN XP 64

CUDA enabled

• Contributor
Not to get OT here, how do you guys like using the 3d mouse? I've been on the edge of getting a SpaceNavigator a few times. :unknw:

It works ok, but if only we could have the option to rotate around the Y axis of world space not just the Y axis of viewport :( ? Just the option would be nice!!!

• Contributor

Y axis rotation is important otherwise you just tumble uncontrollably as you rotate. Example I tilt a sculpt forward and then rotate, cos it rotates in Y of viewport the axis of the world is not rotatated and you rotate around the still tilted object but then if you go to tilt back the rotation and tilting makes squaring up the object very tricky meaning it out ways the Supposed time saving of the 3d mouse because you have to twist and roll it back to where you want it. Space navigator does not behave like this in any other package i own, (Maya, XSI) both have Y axis rotation enabled as standard. I did a video to explain it better. It's on a thread somewhere in here.

[edit] ZBrush and mudbox also rotate in this way and so does 3D coat when using the Mouse or tablet just not with the navigator?

• Contributor

K not sure if 3D coat was the culprit but I think so, I was pushing quite hard at 50million tri and everything locked up. Nothing new at this resolution but then crash to Reboot and Words of terror Bootmngr Missing Argh..... I manually fix but i dont want to try and replicate the problem. Could this this be something to do with 3d coat crashing? whilst reading Virtual mem maybe? could be dangerous to push it too far?

K not sure if 3D coat was the culprit but I think so, I was pushing quite hard at 50million tri and everything locked up. Nothing new at this resolution but then crash to Reboot and Words of terror Bootmngr Missing Argh..... I manually fix but i dont want to try and replicate the problem. Could this this be something to do with 3d coat crashing? whilst reading Virtual mem maybe? could be dangerous to push it too far?

Are you serious? I just had the EXACT same issue, while I was able to repair the issue, it was Vista was unstable after that so I just formatted the drive... Bootmngr Missing!!

This sounds too similar for it to be a coincidence. I definitely am reaching memory limits in 3DC with voxels. I've got 8GB of RAM, and plenty of space on my drive for caching/virtual memory.

• Advanced Member
What format do you use ? OBJ? STL?

STL export was recently changed.

Andrew...never mind. It must have been something with my machine and the applications. Upon returning home from work I tried everything again and all works as it should. Boggle.

I don't know why it happened, but we mustn't forget that there are still gremlins and ghosts in the machines eh?

At any rate, thanks for the always quick reply and this absolutely fabulous tool!!!

M

• Contributor

I'm very excited about new tweakable material feature Andrew is cooking up :yahoo: (check his twitter)

It is gonna be a big add-on to present 3DCoat texturing power!! :brush:

Users we be able to adjust 3D.sk photos(for example) to underlying mesh ,very good feature.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, just noticed a couple of things. 3DCoat 3.00.08F (Mac)

Renaming Layers

In the VoxTree can we double-click on a layer and then rename it? It would be faster than right-clicking and selecting rename layer. Most apps allow you to double-click to rename layers.

Menu Doesn't Disappear

In the VoxTree when you right click to make a selection from the menu, then select "OK" the menu should disappear, but it doesn't. You have to move the cursor away before the menu disappears. Please fix this as it feels like the mouse sticks.

Andrew, just noticed a couple of things. 3DCoat 3.00.08F (Mac)

Renaming Layers

In the VoxTree can we double-click on a layer and then rename it? It would be faster than right-clicking and selecting rename layer. Most apps allow you to double-click to rename layers.

Menu Doesn't Disappear

In the VoxTree when you right click to make a selection from the menu, then select "OK" the menu should disappear, but it doesn't. You have to move the cursor away before the menu disappears. Please fix this as it feels like the mouse sticks.

2nd, on both counts. It would be very nice to rename so quickly.

I would also like to be able to drag and drop hierarchies in the voxtree. This would be another time saver.

With build v3.00.08f CUDA, 64bit DX and GL versions,

I'M trying to iMport a Mask, but it siMply will not work. It only iMports a black iMage and never what the iMage actually is.

PS- Sorry My "M" key isn't working at the MoMent I can only use capital M and not lowercase M DOH!!!

• Advanced Member

Sorry Andrew but found many problems. Please Address ASAP! :) 3DC 3.00.08F Mac

I have been using 3DCoat quite a bit lately and am enjoying it a lot but as I am working I am hitting some stumbling blocks that are making working in 3DCoat very frustrating. I couldn't figure out why learning 3DCoat was frustrating me so much but upon further use I realized it was partly due to some major inconsistencies in the application.

I imagine Andrew has a list as long as his arm to fix but I think these issues are important and need to be addressed ASAP, before new features are added. Building new features onto an poor foundation is a recipe for disaster IMO and will only make using 3DCoat more confusing down the road.

Importing Multiple Objects in Per-Pixel Fails

3DCoat 3.00.08F (Mac)

In Per-Pixel when you import an Object and then Merge a second object into the scene the merged object doesn't appear.

Try this. In Per-Pixel load the default head object. Then select Merge object and select any object to merge it into the scene. The object won't be visible but is present in the Sub-Object menu. I hid the head and looked for the object thinking it maybe imported very small but I still couldn't find it. Obviously a bug. Please fix this?

Please Make Sub-Objects window open on default

Can Sub-Objects Menu Please be open by default in Per-Pixel and Voxels! When merging objects into the scene it is a real nuisance to have to go to Popups > Sub-Objects every time! Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, 3Dmax, Cinema etc. all show the layers on default. It is really helpful Please make the Sub-Object layers visible on default! Thanks. :)

Renaming Layers

Menu Doesn't Disappear

Imported/Merged Objects Disappear

Problem - You merge an object into the scene and then size it and move it into position, then you select the "Clay" brush or another tool and "POOF" the merged object is gone for good! Very Very Frustrating! :(

Solution - Could we please have a Warning pop up message to tell us that we need to select the "Return" so we don't lose our work. Better yet, please let the "Primitive" objects not disappear when a different tool is selected or when the file is saved if they have not been committed to Voxels. Thanks.

Primitives

Problem - You can't hide a VoxTree layer unless you commit it to Voxels. When I created a primitive (sphere) for an eye on another VoxTree layer I couldn't hide the eye unless I selected "return"? I wanted to leave the eye as a primitive and not commit it so I could easily resize it but this doesn't seem possible.

Solution - Please allow primitives to remain as primitives until the user wants to commit them to voxels (including saving as primitives). This would allow a person to easily resize an eye for example after sculpting or saving the file. Currently if you save without committing the primitive to voxels the primitive will be gone when the file is reopened.

SubObjects and Layers

Problem - In the Voxel area, when you select "Merge object into Layer" you would think that the imported object would then reside in the SubObject layer, but this is not the case. If I create a new layer in the VoxTree menu and then select "Merge Object" the imported object will be in the VoxTree on a separate layer. So why is there a SubObjects window?

Solution - Please allow Merged objects to "automatically" be placed in the SubObjects menu.

Transform Tool Gizmo

Problem - If you choose to transform something the transform menu pops up and then whether you use or don't use the transform tool the window still stays there. Sometimes you can do nothing to get rid of the Gizmo on the screen. If you choose a tool the Gizmo will sometimes disappear but not always.

Solution - Please make the

Merge Tool

Merging objects into scene. There are 3 different ways to do this in Voxels but none of the methods are consistent. This is very frustrating and needs to be changed to provide consistency!

Merge from VoxTree Menu

If I merge a sphere from the VoxTree menu, I do not have the option to subdivide the merged sphere.

The VoxTree you select (Import > Merge object) but the other options it is just Merge and not Import first. (Inconsistent!)

Merge from File Menu

This method browses to a menu of 3DCoat .obj files to choose from or allows you to browse and choose your own file.

This method also opens the "Params" menu with all of the features and an option to subdivide the object further.

This method you choose "Merge" but in the VoxTree you choose (Import > Merge Object)

Merge from Left Button Menu

This method opens a smaller "Params" menu but does not give you the option to choose a mesh right away unless you choose the "Select Mesh" button.

This method opens a smaller "Params" menu with fewer features and an option to subdivide the object further.

Solution! - Please make all "Merge" options "Consistent". I can't stress his enough. When using Merge from either: (File > Merge), (Button > Merge) or (VoxTree > Import > Merge) make the options ALL consistent and the same. If a "Params" menu opens make it the same in all 3 areas. It is very frustrating.

Use Merge or Import (Please not both!)

Problem! - In the VoxTree you select (Import > Merge object) but the other options it is just Merge and not Import first. (Inconsistent!)

Solution! - Please allow all options to say: (Import > Merge 3D Object) "Import" is the Universal terminology!

Merge Options Popup Doesn't Reopen a Second Time

Once the Merge Window is closed you can't get it open again by clicking the Merge button on the left of the interface.

Thanks