3DCoat Forums

• Contributor
Andrew, just noticed a couple of things. 3DCoat 3.00.08F (Mac)

Renaming Layers

In the VoxTree can we double-click on a layer and then rename it? It would be faster than right-clicking and selecting rename layer. Most apps allow you to double-click to rename layers.

Menu Doesn't Disappear

In the VoxTree when you right click to make a selection from the menu, then select "OK" the menu should disappear, but it doesn't. You have to move the cursor away before the menu disappears. Please fix this as it feels like the mouse sticks.

As for renaming Volumes in the Vox tree why not use Standard F2 keyboard shortcut that i come to expect from most software?

Also I would expect to be able to merge all Volumes under a speccific Heirachy in the vox tree currently some things are applied heirach based like visabillity But merging is not one of them. In my tut I show that you have to currently merge each volume independantly which takes a coupole of minutes, If I could grab the topmost and merge all under it would take but ten seconds! I suppose its a workflow thing and depends on how you lay out volumes in the Vox tree. Also grouping of volumes would be a nice feature Currently i lay out an empty volume as the parent which works well but still proper groupoing functionality would be better.

• Advanced Member

Version 3.00.08F DX64 CUDA

I've had several crashes during DP. Goes straight to windows, no crash report (just standard windows report problem window).

Anyone with similar experience?

Rolling back to version c which was more stable apparently.

Franck.

EDIT: I confirm version 3.00.08C doesn't have this instability, I've been working with it all afternoon without a hitch. However V3.00.08F crashed 3 times in about 15 min on the very same project.

• Advanced Member

Sub-Tools and VoxTree

When I merge an object into Per-Pixel it appears as a Sub-Object. When I am in Voxels and merge an object it goes into VoxTree menu. Both Sub-Tools and VoxTree are essentially the same then except that one is for Voxels and one is for polygonal objects. This has always confused me why thses menus need to be named differently. When you are in Voxels you are only in Voxels so renaming the menu "SubTools" instead of "VoxTree" would not cause any problems and it would make a more sense if there were consistency in naming.

Use Consistent Names (Sub-Tools) for menus in Per-Pixel and Voxels!

1. I like how the VoxTree menu is open on default in the Voxel area, but I'd like to see the "VoxTree" menu name changed to "Sub-Tools". There's no reason to have them named differently and it is confusing too new users.

Allow Menus to be open by default

2. Now in Per-Pixel the Sub-Object menu should also be open by default. (like the VoxTree menu in Voxels) It is very important to provide consistency in applications and having both menu's named the same and both menu's open by default will make more sense to any new users of 3DCoat.

:)

• Advanced Member

pretty sure this is in the feature requests forum, but just thought I'd bring it up again to see if it's

in the near future:

- 'true' hierarchy for volumes that have parent/child structure when using Pose tool (see image)

such that children are affected by parent's translation/rotation/scale.

[this could potentially be a check-box in the parameters of the pose tool to 'affect children']

this would be fairly essential for posing complex characters with clothing/accessories...I'd imagine

a good start would be that the whole child volume (100%, not a gradient) is affected.

post-475-1247416060_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Version 3.00.08F DX64 CUDA

I've had several crashes during DP. Goes straight to windows, no crash report (just standard windows report problem window).

Anyone with similar experience?

Rolling back to version c which was more stable apparently.

Franck.

EDIT: I confirm version 3.00.08C doesn't have this instability, I've been working with it all afternoon without a hitch. However V3.00.08F crashed 3 times in about 15 min on the very same project.

Yes I can confirm This one, I went back to 3.00.08E

Because DP in 8F is crashing to much

edit: Opps I think 8f Is crashing to

I'm using 8D here. Too many bugs in recent version...

Bugs for v3.00.08f here:

Importing images as masks, doesn't work. They appear as black icons and don't function.

Creating a folder or adding a profile for the Curves tool, doesn't work.

The pose tool seems to drop selections much more frequently then it did before. Making it very difficult to use.

pretty sure this is in the feature requests forum, but just thought I'd bring it up again to see if it's

in the near future:

- 'true' hierarchy for volumes that have parent/child structure when using Pose tool (see image)

[this could potentially be a check-box in the parameters of the pose tool to 'affect children']

this would be fairly essential for posing complex characters with clothing/accessories...I'd imagine

a good start would be that the whole child volume (100%, not a gradient) is affected.

I second this. This would bring the tool miles forward... :)

With the startup window if you click the folder to open a file then hit Cancel it just goes to an empty scene with an infinitely large symmetry plane if symmetry happens to be on. It should just just go back to the startup window.

• Contributor

in the near future:

I suppoose it all boils down to being able to affect more than one volume at a time! this would lead to proper knocking back (Blending of seperate voxel volumes) as the affect on more than one volume is essential for that.

I wonder is there any way to have two Voxel volumes on the same layer without them merging if so that would be the answer| (Like have two sepreate intersecting ojb sphere objects saved as one obj)?

• Contributor
Are you serious? I just had the EXACT same issue, while I was able to repair the issue, it was Vista was unstable after that so I just formatted the drive... Bootmngr Missing!!

This sounds too similar for it to be a coincidence. I definitely am reaching memory limits in 3DC with voxels. I've got 8GB of RAM, and plenty of space on my drive for caching/virtual memory.

Ha this is actually really quite funny I'll share. Seems that mean old 3d coat dont like the competition, not only did the crash mess up the boot secter of the disk is also screwed up my ZBrush license. which i go to use now and license requested. I now have to submit a bloody support ticket for a new license!!!. :dash2: Ah cr*p! I beleive is the phrase im looking for.

Updated to 3.00.08G

Changes:

- I made possibility to distort masks and materials with pen.

- voxel layer can be renamed with doubleclick

- Invert mask will work in voxels too

- Symmetry issue in pose tool with rectangular selection fixed

- Pivot point and handler direction in pose tool with rect selection is much more predictable and user-friendly.

- If you will select mesh in merge tool and try to activate other tool without actual merging you will be asked if you need to merge object before leaving the tool.

• Contributor

Distort with pens works great! :)

but

undos in voxel mode makes 3DCoat freeze on my side(undos in general ,not just when I activate material/mask).

also

missing voxtrree objects bug is still there,

do you want me to upload a file (they are all pretty big)

• Advanced Member

Material Distort displays fine in Voxel room but in Paint room with object for Per Pixel painting as soon as you try to distort the material with LMB the image flicks to the far left of the screen then back again once you've released button.

• Contributor
If not difficult to you...

I tried to reproduce it with extremely multiobject 3D files, but all worked fine...

Alright I'm uploading file with sendspace(200mb) ,it says it should take around 45minutes

so I'll send download link to support@3d-coat.com when it is finished.

It is an armored dwarf

In beta C all parts are there

In beta D,E,F,G objects are missing (you will notice missing objects easily)

• Advanced Member
Alright I'm uploading file with sendspace(200mb) ,it says it should take around 45minutes

so I'll send download link to support@3d-coat.com when it is finished.

It is an armored dwarf

In beta C all parts are there

In beta D,E,F,G objects are missing (you will notice missing objects easily)

I think I had a similar experience where I tried to load an object with I think 3 layers or so but the last layer would not show. I restarted my computer and it started working again.

But this could have been something weird with just my computer. :unknw:

• Contributor

Fantastic!! Its so easy now to make objects more natural and organic looking.

It would be definitly great to use Pose tool "select by pen" with mask too. Some masking and scale - very fast hard edge detail for mechanic objects. Could you add it, please? It would be outstanding!

Ha this is actually really quite funny I'll share. Seems that mean old 3d coat dont like the competition, not only did the crash mess up the boot secter of the disk is also screwed up my ZBrush license. which i go to use now and license requested. I now have to submit a bloody support ticket for a new license!!!. :dash2: Ah cr*p! I beleive is the phrase im looking for.

Ahh! Man... I can at least answer why you ZB copy is messed up, I had that happen once before. ;)

ZB ties it's licensing system to your physical HDDs, which is a totally insane idea. That's why if you run a RAID you will have problems with ZB (that's how I found out, doh), or if you have a system HDD problem, or replace your system HDD.

• Contributor

Link to download .3b file sent to support@3d-coat.com, thanx for looking into that :)

(I think I've sent file two times,first time didn't work. good file is 198mb,134mb file is bad upload)

also:very important-PROBLEM IS ONLY X64 versions of 3DCoat.32bit is ok.

(vista premium x64,nvdia gtx280)

• Advanced Member

I have a question to Andrew:

When sculpting in Voxel mode 3DC uses not all CPU cores consistant. At voxel level 3 the first core of my Core2Quad processor is at 100% load. Other tree cores at around 10 to 20% load or off. FPS slowing down rapidly when first core is at 100%. Is it possible to optimize the CPU usage for sculpting? Maybe things will speed up... :pardon:

Proc.jpg

Multicore Optimization is enabled in preferences.

I'm running WINXP 64, Geforce 8800GTS and 8GB RAM.

BTW: great new release!!! :clapping:

greez, Rene

I have a question to Andrew:

When sculpting in Voxel mode 3DC uses not all CPU cores consistant. At voxel level 3 the first core of my Core2Quad processor is at 100% load. Other tree cores at around 10 to 20% load or off. FPS slowing down rapidly when first core is at 100%. Is it possible to optimize the CPU usage for sculpting? Maybe things will speed up... :pardon:

Proc.jpg

Multicore Optimization is enabled in preferences.

I'm running WINXP 64, Geforce 8800GTS and 8GB RAM.

BTW: great new release!!! :clapping:

greez, Rene

Hey, have you tried the CUDA version yet? It's optimized very well for CUDA enabled cards. :)

• Advanced Member

3DCoat Ver. 3.00.08G(GL) Mac

Thanks Andrew for allowing layers to be renamed by double clicking! :)

Default Objects Load Totally Black

Problem - In voxels the default sphere, cube, cylinder loads totally black. This makes it impossible to sculpt until a shader is selected. I think this is a bug as objects loaded before loaded with a lighter shader.

Ghosting

I am getting "Ghosting" from previous sculpts.(see image) I open new files and the "Ghosting" is still there.

post-920-1247524375_thumb.jpg

Current Camera

In Camera Views. Would it be possible to have the "Current" View visible at the top of the UI instead of it just saying "Camera"? If a person is in the (top, right, side) view the camera always says "Camera". It would be very helpful if instead of camera the readout would display the current camera view name like "Top" for example. Thanks.

Please Lock Camera in Top, Side, Front etc. and only allow rotation in Perspective View

When I am in the top, side, left or right camera view and using a mask on a wall if I go to far to the edge of the wall with the brush tool the camera or model will rotate and then it is no longer in orthographic view mode and the mask is then misaligned. This is extremely problematic as there is no way to get the mask back to it's original position even after selecting the "Top" camera again and a person has to start over again.

This would not be a problem if after you choose a top view the camera could not rotate around. In other 3D modeling software (Cinema 4D, Modo, Maya, Max etc.) when you choose the "top, side or left" views you cannot rotate around the object so there is no problem with losing the position of the model. In 3DCoat if you are in top view (orthographic) you can rotate and easily mess everything up. In 3DCoat If all the views (top, left, right, front and back) were to all "LOCK" and rotation was only allowed in "Perspective" mode like other 3D applications this would allow a person to apply a mask or paint without the camera rotating and ruining the position of the mask.