3DCoat Forums

Voxels to Displacement Map?

MarkG

Voxel sculpting is really intriguing to me. But most of what I have seen suggests that the way to use them is to create your initial model in Voxels, and then export it as a polymesh to use elsewhere. In other words:

1. Create a sculpt using Voxels.

2. Retopolize with topology tools, or...

2b. Quadrangalize

3. Export mesh into another program to render, animate, etc

I was wondering... what about this:

1. Create base mesh in another program

2. Import into 3DC and merge into Voxels

3. Add detail in Voxels

4. Export new result (somehow!) to external program

5. Create displacement map

6. Add displacement map + original low-res base model into external program and render, animate, etc.

Is that possible? And, if so, how would you go about doing that?

• Contributor
Voxel sculpting is really intriguing to me. But most of what I have seen suggests that the way to use them is to create your initial model in Voxels, and then export it as a polymesh to use elsewhere. In other words:

1. Create a sculpt using Voxels.

2. Retopolize with topology tools, or...

2b. Quadrangalize

3. Export mesh into another program to render, animate, etc

I was wondering... what about this:

3. Add detail in Voxels

6. Add displacement map + original low-res base model into external program and render, animate, etc.

Yes, this is possible, and the first thing you must do is read the manual. Unfortunately, the "Contents" are no longer linked to the appropriate page, but the info is invaluable to anyone trying to learn a suitable work flow.

Yes, this is possible, and the first thing you must do is read the manual. Unfortunately, the "Contents" are no longer linked to the appropriate page, but the info is invaluable to anyone trying to learn a suitable work flow.

Well, I downloaded the manual online. I read through the entire chapter on Voxels -- from Page 84 to 119... I never saw this mentioned.

Maybe you can give me a hint? What page / topic am I looking for? Because I can't see this mentioned anywhere...

3. Add detail in Voxels

The displacement map can be made inside of 3DC, there's no need to go to another program. This render was done with a displacement map from 3DC.

I just did it now as a quick test. Detail, or sculpt from scratch, a voxel model. Use retopo or quadrangulate like I did and merge it for painting. Once you're in the painting room go to Textures > Texture Baking Tool, Check the Smooth mesh box, then at the bottom you can choose where to save the file and what type of Displacement. You can export your other textures if you've painted any in there as well. Or like I did was just to go to File > Export Model and get the low-res model as well as the textures that way.

The displacement map can be made inside of 3DC, there's no need to go to another program. This render was done with a displacement map from 3DC.

I just did it now as a quick test. Detail, or sculpt from scratch, a voxel model. Use retopo or quadrangulate like I did and merge it for painting. Once you're in the painting room go to Textures > Texture Baking Tool, Check the Smooth mesh box, then at the bottom you can choose where to save the file and what type of Displacement. You can export your other textures if you've painted any in there as well. Or like I did was just to go to File > Export Model and get the low-res model as well as the textures that way.

OK Phil, I'll try playing with that. I probably didn't specify what I was trying to do... I did want to create the displacement in 3DC, you are right about that.

The reason I want to export it, though, is I want to render it in Messiah, with the low-poly model for rigging and animating purposes, and the displacement map for a higher detail final render.

I sort of see how this is done... I will try to play with it some and see if I can ask more specific questions...

Thanks!